Author Topic: Question about the transporter beam on Star Trek.  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Question about the transporter beam on Star Trek.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
Wait a minute.  "Lost In Space" had those sliding doors first.

Maybe they weren't as prominent.  I kind of remember them on the Jupiter 2, but they were to go from the main deck to the quarters.  90% of LIS was outdoors.

I believe studies showed it to be 83%.  You're wrong.

I think I am quoting you when I say that studies show that 90% of all statistics from studies are pulled out of the poster's ass ;)

Since your hand is up there anyway, remember to fish around and pull out an uneven number like 83%.  It has more credibility.

You could Spockify it and add some decimals like 83.562%

Only sperds who watch Star Trek would find that impressive.  It is best to use whole numbers to impress normal folks.
Other than Frank, name one "normal person" on this board. :)

You must know a different Frank.  The only Frank I know here is the Frank who collects cats and lives with antique pig poop in the Sandhills of Nebraska. 

OK, that leaves no one who is normal.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »

You must know a different Frank.  The only Frank I know here is the Frank who collects cats and lives with antique pig poop in the Sandhills of Nebraska. 

OK, that leaves no one who is normal.

That's more like it.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
Wait a minute.  "Lost In Space" had those sliding doors first.

Maybe they weren't as prominent.  I kind of remember them on the Jupiter 2, but they were to go from the main deck to the quarters.  90% of LIS was outdoors.

I believe studies showed it to be 83%.  You're wrong.

I think I am quoting you when I say that studies show that 90% of all statistics from studies are pulled out of the poster's ass ;)

Since your hand is up there anyway, remember to fish around and pull out an uneven number like 83%.  It has more credibility.

You could Spockify it and add some decimals like 83.562%

Only sperds who watch Star Trek would find that impressive.  It is best to use whole numbers to impress normal folks.

ME ME ME!!!!!! :yahoo:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »

You will have to stop eating your own boogers before you can qualify.  Sorry.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »

Can you see me?  How did you know?  I thought that was normal.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline jukin

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »
Triumph meets the star wars nerds, I know not StarTrek but funny and same nerds.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/nerds
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
Triumph meets the star wars nerds, I know not StarTrek but funny and same nerds.

Is this the one where he asks the guy dressed in the Darth Vader suit which button calls his momma to come pick him up?  I think about that every time I go to the DUmp.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »

You keep forgetting to turn your webcam off.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »

You keep forgetting to turn your webcam off.
DAMMITT! :banghead:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
What's funniest of all is you have a few morons trying to explain it.  :lmao:

Actually, when we were homeschooling we read a book called The Physics of Star Trek, had an intro by Stephen Hawking (who is brilliant). It treats all of these things, including the transporter, holograms, and Data seriously enough to compare them to the laws of physics and what's possible (at least as far as what we know now). It was entertaining and a great way to study physics with a 13 year old boy. I wish they would've had one for Star Wars.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

That was freaking hilarious

Offline jukin

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

Is this the one where he asks the guy dressed in the Darth Vader suit which button calls his momma to come pick him up?  I think about that every time I go to the DUmp.

Yes, and he when asks when the baby is due comes back with "Well that will be the last time he sees female genitalia." That really makes me think of the DUmp.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »
Deep13  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-01-08 10:08 AM
Original message
Question about the transporter beam on Star Trek.
 About these advertisementsThe idea behind it is that it dematerializes someone on the ship and them puts him or her back together on the planet.

But how do they know that's really what happens? How do they know it doesn't KILL the person on the ship by disintergration (generally thought to be a fatal condition) and then make a new, identical person on the planet? The new person on the planet would be exactly the same as the previous (now dead) person with the exact same memories. That person will believe himself or herself to be the person from the ship because he will "remember" being there. Yet it will be false memories like those in Total Recall or Blade Runner because there are artificially created by the transporter beam making an exact copy of the previous person who is now gone.

Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x7419341

How's this for an answer, IT'S NOT REAL.

The lounge really is the Bar Scene From Star Wars

Who said it isn't real, who? C'mon don't talk crazy.... :bawl:

In your wacked-out world it probably is real (is that better?  :-*)

I feel better.... :-)  and please don't delete this one...OK?

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »
Deep13  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-01-08 10:08 AM
Original message
Question about the transporter beam on Star Trek.  The idea behind it is that it dematerializes someone on the ship and them puts him or her back together on the planet.

But how do they know that's really what happens?

Diebold invented the transporter.  Damn you, Scotty.   :whatever:

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 09:49:44 PM »
I always thought, given that matter is energy, that people who step into a transporter beam are somehow translated into energy and then "broadcast" like radio waves are broadcast, to the planet or wherever, where they energy was translated back into matter.

I never really figured out how it worked from the planet back to the ship though.

I think the original version of Willy Wonka gave the best explanation of this.

Honestly, with all these good movies and TV shows, I never understood the need for the University degree.  Anything anyone needs to know can be pieced together by watching the correct sequences of media.  To quote Dr. Brian Oblivion: Television is reality and reality is less than television.  So, my advice to the Star Trek geeks: quit over thinking things and just go with it.  It's only reality after all.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 09:52:03 PM »
I'm patiently waiting for the consumer version of the Holideck to come on the market  :popcorn: :-)
It was funny how TNG danced with the idea that people might (might?  WILL) use the Holodeck for "improper fantasies" when they had Lt. Barclay fantasizing about out-machoing Riker and "winning" Troi.  In RL, that would have been him, Troi, some coco butter and no clothes.

Scott Adams wrote about this in The Dilbert Principle too.  Not just abusing the holodek technology stuff like beaming in cheerleaders and I don't remember what all.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
Life Will Not Be Like Star Trek

For those of you who only watched the 'old' Star Trek, the holodeck can create simulated worlds that look and feel just like the real thing. The characters on Star Trek use the holodeck for recreation during breaks from work. This is somewhat unrealistic. If I had a holodeck, I'd close the door and never come out until I died of exhaustion. It would be hard to convince me I should be anywhere but in the holodeck, getting my oil massage from Cindy Crawford and her simulated twin sister.

Holodecks would be very addicting. If there weren't enough holodecks to go around, I'd get the names of all the people who had reservations ahead of me and beam them into concrete walls. I'd feel tense about it, but that's exactly why I'd need a massage.

I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention.

http://www.troutman.org/humor/startrek.html  :hyper:

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »
What's funniest of all is you have a few morons trying to explain it.  :lmao:

Actually, when we were homeschooling we read a book called The Physics of Star Trek, had an intro by Stephen Hawking (who is brilliant). It treats all of these things, including the transporter, holograms, and Data seriously enough to compare them to the laws of physics and what's possible (at least as far as what we know now). It was entertaining and a great way to study physics with a 13 year old boy. I wish they would've had one for Star Wars.

Cindie
Oh yeah, that reminds me a few years ago I went to see a lecture on the physics of Star Trek.  Pretty much, from what I remember, it's all true, just not in the right order.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
When I was in junior high, I got a copy of The Starfleet Technical Manual for my birthday.  I loved it.  It had floorplans and blueprints for the starships, instructions on how to play 3D chess, and "diagrams" how to build transporters and tricorders.

I think those were mostly bullshit.   :-)

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »
When I was in junior high, I got a copy of The Starfleet Technical Manual for my birthday.  I loved it.  It had floorplans and blueprints for the starships, instructions on how to play 3D chess, and "diagrams" how to build transporters and tricorders.

I think those were mostly bullshit.   :-)
I used to like tricorders and starships until I discovered the TARDIS and sonic screwdrivers.

But I guess the best would be an Infinite Improbability Drive.  Or a TARDIS fitted with an IID would be IIDeal.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline redwhit

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »
After I failed my language competency exam at school, my brother gave me a Klingon-English dictionary for Christmas with a card that said "This might help you learn something you can actually use."

The test was for French.

I didn't know if I should kick my brother's ass or laugh my own off.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
I'm patiently waiting for the consumer version of the Holideck to come on the market  :popcorn: :-)

I dunno, that thing seemed to have more bugs than a cockroach ranch.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.