Author Topic: George Clooney named U.N. messenger of peace  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Lauri

George Clooney named U.N. messenger of peace
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
George Clooney named U.N. messenger of peace
Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:41pm EST  Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (3) [-] Text
  •    

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon named actor George Clooney, who has campaigned for refugees in Darfur, as a U.N. "messenger of peace" on Friday to promote the world body's peacekeeping efforts.

Clooney is the ninth U.N. messenger -- people chosen from the fields of art, music, literature and sports who have agreed to help focus attention on the United Nations' work.

U.N. spokeswoman Michele Montas said Clooney would have a special emphasis on peacekeeping. She said he had been "recognized for focusing public attention on crucial international political and social issues."

Clooney, who is currently in Sudan, will receive his designation on January 31 at U.N. headquarters.

With fellow actors Don Cheadle and Brad Pitt, Clooney, 46, has used his celebrity status to raise money for refugees through their "Not On Our Watch" charity and draw attention to the crisis in Darfur in western Sudan.

The United Nations is trying to deploy a peacekeeping force in Darfur, where international experts say some 200,000 people have been killed and more than 2 million driven from their homes in fighting between Sudan's government and Darfur rebels.

Clooney has starred in a number of films with political themes and won an Oscar in 2005 for his role in "Syriana."

more at link... http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1833517620080118?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Offline Lauri

Re: George Clooney named U.N. messenger of peace
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
I wonder.... if Clooney would feel it was a 'just' war to go into Darfur to help clean out the savages and restore order?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
I wonder.... if Clooney would feel it was a 'just' war to go into Darfur to help clean out the savages and restore order?

I'm sure he would, if it pursues his agenda. However since the other side would be muslim he would have to twist a bit to justify it.

Off topic, am I the only woman who doesn't find him deperately attractive?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

I'm sure he would, if it pursues his agenda. However since the other side would be muslim he would have to twist a bit to justify it.

i dont find him attractive at all really. i like the salt and pepper hair though.. but his personality seems a bit snakey to me.

i also dont find him that intelligent, which is a HUGE turn off for me personally..

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
I am sure he will be as effective as Sean Penn was in Iraq.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Intelligence and actors don't usually go together. Whenever they open their mouths without a script the majority come off as rather dim bulbs.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »
Intelligence and actors don't usually go together. Whenever they open their mouths without a script the majority come off as rather dim bulbs.

:agree:

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »

No... Christian Bale kicks his ass 10 ways till Sunday AND twice on Sunday in that department.

*TKay*

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
That's some honor given the UN's success at waging peace all these years.  ::)

For the record, I dont find him attractive either. Just sayin'.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
So the UN gave him Carte Blanche to go out and ravage 12-year old girls with the rest of the UN "peacekeepers"?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »
I am sure he will be as effective as Sean Penn was in Iraq.

:rofl:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »
... U.N. messenger -- people chosen from the fields of art, music, literature and sports who have agreed to help focus attention on the United Nations' work.

Because anointing / appointing these types does sooooo much good (for Hollyweird ego's)! 

Can you say WE ARE THE WORLD and how all that money was distributed? 
Shhhhhh ... I hear the dry winds blowing over the brittle bones of the long dead children who never received the food/money/medical care those dollars were supposed to help.  Shame on the UN!  And shame on the so called social conscious of Hollywood!

Off topic:  Sean Penn did sooo much to help Katrina victims too doncha know! 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »
Secretary-General Monkey-Boon named actor George Clooney...
Fixt.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »

We've all done action movies.  If anyone tries to get in our way, we'll show them how tough us actors can be...

Offline Lauri

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »

HA! i was gonna make a crack but i didnt want ya'll to think i was racist..  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »

HA! i was gonna make a crack but i didnt want ya'll to think i was racist..  :lmao:

Ban Ki-moon - Monkey-Boon...whatever.   :rotf:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »

Ban Ki-moon - Monkey-Boon...whatever.   :rotf:

i am totally okie fine with it :-)

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
The UN and Clinton did nothing to stop the 1 million who were slaughtered in the Sudan. The UN is a worthless organization that has allowed $$$ and food to be pilfered. Clooney on the other hand is a 2 bit actor.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
The UN and Clinton did nothing to stop the 1 million who were slaughtered in the Sudan. The UN is a worthless organization that has allowed $$$ and food to be pilfered. Clooney on the other hand is a 2 bit actor.

there is some symbiotic relationship there somewhere...