Author Topic: Dinnertime....whatcha having??  (Read 15616 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Dinnertime....whatcha having??
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »
Lazy Alfredo Casserole
1 cup alfredo sauce
1/2 lb penne pasta (al dente, cooked for ten minutes)

1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs with
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese

I bought some generic Wal-Mart brand alfredo sauce because it was on sale.  Lots of garlic.  Yum.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jendf

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »
I think I'm going to have California Pizza Kitchen Margharita Pizza and a Gordon Biersch Marzen beer.  :cheersmate:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »
I think I'm going to have California Pizza Kitchen Margharita Pizza and a Gordon Biersch Marzen beer.  :cheersmate:

Some snooty PBS cooking show (America's Test Kitchen) gave CPK high marks on their frozen pizza. 

It's an interesting show if you can get past the self-important "chefs" (wow, two years of school).  They're part of Cooks Illustrated magazine, which is nice.  You can get a year of issues in a single hardback book for around $30.  They show you how to NOT cook something.

I like DiGiorno's thin crust pizza. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jendf

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »

Some snooty PBS cooking show (America's Test Kitchen) gave CPK high marks on their frozen pizza. 

It's an interesting show if you can get past the self-important "chefs" (wow, two years of school).  They're part of Cooks Illustrated magazine, which is nice.  You can get a year of issues in a single hardback book for around $30.  They show you how to NOT cook something.

I like DiGiorno's thin crust pizza. 

I've tried them all and CPK Thin Crust Pizzas are absolutely the best in my book. I like their Margherita and White pizzas.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »
My wife is out of town (no shock!).  My Little Angel has started school and living with her mother and her mother's boyfriend, who is the father of Little Angel's three month old baby sister (pay no attention to the fact Little Angel's mother and my son are still married). 

Little Angel's school is 50 miles from me.  I've been picking her up from school (yes, me driving -- lock up your children) and taking her to drill practice back here (my wife got her involved) and then driving her back to her mother (except tonight she's staying with me), so I have missed my "window" to eat (several days in a roll now).

We have to be on the field at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning (locally, thankfully).  I plan to wake up at 5:00 AM (I'll probably be awake anyway -- it's an "old person thing").  I will get Little Angel ready and then take her to her favorite place (Waffle House).  We will order the All-Star Special ($5.69).  I'll eat my two eggs over medium, hash browns (not hash whites), sausage patties, and wheat toast.  Little Angel will eat the completely inappropriate HUGE waffle that comes with it.  That will be my dinner -- twelve hours later. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:23:22 PM by Lord Undies »

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
We had a late supper,of beef stroganoff over rice, grilled diced potatoes in an olive oil,garlic powder,and spice base,and a salad of romaine,mushrooms,red onion,and celery.With blue cheese.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Flame

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
tonight it's lemon pepper tilapia for my and my daughter, and shrimp scampi for the menfolk, alnong with angel hair pasta with tomatos and spinach.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »
I'm thawing out my last piece of salmon.  Now I only have a few pieces of halibut left.  Is there a more boring fish than halibut?  :(

Need to head to the store for more pasta and grocery stuff.  And beer.

Offline Flame

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Tonight for dinner is beef tacos (crunchy and soft), refried beans and homemade guacamole, with homemade tortilla chips (well, home fried tortilla chips...I use bought corn tortillas to make them!).

I'm hungry already!

Offline debk

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
I went to my niece's wedding last weekend...and we had a terrific appetizer that I made as a casserole the other night....so we may be having leftovers  :-)

If you like eggplant parmesean...it was similar to that.

I peeled and sliced 2 medium eggplants into 1/2" slices. (rounds not lengthwise). Dipped them in beaten eggs with some milk added then into garlic/herb breadcrumbs. Sauteed them in olive oil and put on paper towels to absorb out the oil.

In a large skillet, I sauteed in olive oil, sliced baby portabellos, slivered vidalia onions, kosher salt, a bit of garlic, coarse ground pepper, and about a tablespoon or so of dried sweet basil. Sauteed until the onions were clear.

I sprayed a 9x11 pyrex with garlic Pam.

I had a large jar of Tomato Basil spaghetti sauce...I like Bertolli the best. I put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish.

Put a layer of sauteed eggplant on the sauce (I cut some to fill in the gaps). On the eggplant, I put dabs of JK Kraft spreadable cheese...Romano, Asiago, Parmesean with garlic and herbs ( I had it on hand bought at Kroger's in the deli and had forgotten to pick up Boursin which was in the appetizer). Then I layerd the onion/mushroom mix over the eggplant and cheese. Then covered with the rest of the sauteed eggplant. Dabbed on some more of the 3 cheese spread and poured the rest of the sauce over the top. Covered all with shredded mozzarella.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes...(I did it for 40 and it was a bit too long).

Served with Romaine lettuce and a raspberry vinegrette.

I would also recommend having some Italian bread too, as it's sort of sloppy and would be great on the bread.
Could also serve with some linguine....

It was delicious and could be made the day before or several hours and refrigerate, bring to room temp and bake.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
Haven't decided yet.  Could be:

1--Lobster Rolls
2--Leftover chili burritos
3--Hamburgers with potato salad.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »
Lobster rolls?

and you live where? :yum:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
Digornio Pizza.

1. Preheat oven to 400 to 450
2. Take frozen Digornio pizza from freezer and unwrap it
3. Feed wrapper to your dog
4. Cook pizza for 20 minutes and try to watch something on TV trying to forget you're hungry and have 20 minutes to wait.
5. Even though you're hungry, you forget about pizza for 6 or 7 minutes and burn it. Order out to eat.

There... there's what I'm having and how to make it. :D

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
Lobster rolls?

New Hampshire--fresh off the boat lobsters for $4.50 a pound (more if you get the bigger ones, but not terribly so).
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
Lobster rolls?

New Hampshire--fresh off the boat lobsters for $4.50 a pound (more if you get the bigger ones, but not terribly so).

My plane arrives at 9....I'll be happy with leftovers... :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Slow-roasted pork medalions in chorizo, with a baked 'tater.

Offline jendf

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 06:29:38 PM »
I actually "cooked" for myself this evening. Tacos and refried beans. Yum! There's not much to heating up a can of refried beans, browning some ground beef, and shredding some lettuce and cheese, but still, it's more than I usually do!

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Stuffed poke chops, corn on the cob, bourban and brown suger beans and steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix.

And I got's a glass of Sangrea close to hand as I'm sitting here.

Life is good.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

I'm having a hard time gettin' the ol' lady up off her butt to make me something good!

There I said it.

:fuelfire:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Flame

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »
jendf, we love tacos and refried beans!

Tonight we had hotdogs, hamburgers and beans....totally not exciting!

Offline debk

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
I was late getting home, M had eaten....so I scrambled eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and a colby/jack cheese mix.....and a diet coke.

Going to chase it with a caramel apple covered in chopped peanuts.  :-)

and some M&M's.....I have 3 reports to do tonight.... :whatever:

Offline jendf

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
I was late getting home, M had eaten....so I scrambled eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and a colby/jack cheese mix.....and a diet coke.

Mushrooms in your eggs?  :confused: :therock:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
Since my schedule is all screwed up and I won't get home until about 1 am, I might as well have some more leftover ham casserole. 

Memo to self--cooking leftovers to eat for AN ENTIRE WEEK--BAD IDEA.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »
Just got home from work... a Dignornio pizza and some breadsticks. Yay.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »

All that and a DIET COKE !?!?!?!?!?
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson