Author Topic: CCleaner  (Read 1894 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
CCleaner
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
A few days ago, I installed "CCleaner."

I'd had it on the computer before this one, and had no problems with it, but then didn't have it on this one, a used one gotten three years ago, because I'd heard it wasn't all it was made out to be.

When the AVG software expired and I was looking at alternatives, CCleaner was suggested--not as a replacement for AVG, but as a supplement I needed.

So I replaced AVG, and then decided to add CCleaner, but took my time about it.

It took DAYS to do the "cleaner" thing.  No, I didn't run the cleaner constantly, running it instead for hours at a time.  I was very happy to see that when one "cancels" something, and then restarts it later, the cleaner started where it'd left off, instead of starting all over again.

That's not always the case.

It finally got done cleaning this morning.

I wish I'd gotten a "before" picture too; "before," it showed 119,000,000,000 bytes "used," and 50% "free;" now look at it.

I'm not sure if it was the cleaning or the "registry" cleaning that did it, but a lot of quirks that'd developed over the years evaporated.  The "back button" on google searches, for example, now backs; one doesn't have to right-click to open in a new window (if one wishes to continue using the original google search page).  It again converts images to JPEGs instead of the space-consuming PNGs.  And the computer works faster, overall.

I'm very happy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: CCleaner
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
I use Crap Cleaner. Like you I find it works quite well.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.