Author Topic: OK, so I tried to Microwave Hamburger Helper again.  (Read 19942 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

OK, so I tried to Microwave Hamburger Helper again.
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »
It mostly worked this time. (last time I had 3 pounds of beef by mistake and used water instead of milk)

So I had the right amount of beef this go around. I used condensed milk.
The secret is nuking the noodles in water for 6 minutes to get them soft. The mistake I made this time was I added the liquid amounts suggested on the box, one cup water, two cups milk.
With the noodles already soft, I don't need near that much liquid. Next time will cut that in half

What I ended up with was a massive thickening sauce dish with a little bit of noodles and beef.
curses.
I had to nuke it like 18 minutes until the sauce evaporated enough where I could eat it.
Last time I had way too much beef, this time it was way too much sauce.
Still I ate the whole thing, tasted kinda sorta like Hamburger Helper.

Oh and I used a cup of freeze dried Ground Beef, 1 cup makes one pound.

One of these days I will come to a CC meet up, tell you all I'm Franksolich and give you one of my masterpiece dishes. Only afterwards will I tell you the beef was freeze dried and I'm really Mr Mannn. You will all be amazed to see how delicious the freeze dried beef is (and the gals will marvel at how clever Mannn really is).

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: OK, so I tried to Microwave Hamburger Helper again.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Hamburger Helper is the easiest thing in the world to cook.

I forgot you don't have a range/oven.  That portable induction cooktop they advertise on TV looks interesting. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
Hamburger Helper is the easiest thing in the world to cook.

I forgot you don't have a range/oven.  That portable induction cooktop they advertise on TV looks interesting.

When I was without my kitchen for six months, I used an electric skillet for a lot of one dish meals. 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
Can't imagine not having a kitchen for six months. 

A roommate had an electric skillet (a large square one).  That thing was great for making fried chicken.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Why is our good colleague Mr Mannn without a stove?

<<<obviously missed a story here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
Can't imagine not having a kitchen for six months. 

A roommate had an electric skillet (a large square one).  That thing was great for making fried chicken.

You can fry anything in it. I even cooked a 7 bone roast with all the veggies in it. I comes out just like it does when you use an oven.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:19:00 PM by Dori »
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Why is our good colleague Mr Mannn without a stove?

<<<obviously missed a story here.
Tiny apartment. I prefer to live below my means. That way I have more money to waste.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
Those Disney vacations don't pay for themselves.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
I recommend avoiding Hamburger Helper altogether.  I essentially ruined some excellent farm-fresh ground beef by mixing it with that.  Easier, nearly as cheap and much tastier to mix in pasta and spices on your own.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
Tiny apartment. I prefer to live below my means. That way I have more money to waste.

After all these years (almost 70), microwaves are still only good for warming up left overs. It's the nature of the beast and can't be fixed.

For a small apartment sans kitchen: a microwave (for popcorn and warming up left overs), a large toaster oven (for baking/roasting), and an electric skillet (for frying and *gasp* hamburger helper).

Been there, done that.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »

Oh yeah, I have that. Built in. Never used. Realize if I use it, I will have to clean pots and pans! By hand...with elbow grease even.

No. Microwave Hamburger Helper is a challenge, and I almost got it right this time. I just need to tweak it a bit more.
I am the master of Microwave spaghetti (only messed up once-ate it anyway). I am the master of microwave casseroles. I have mastered the art of making rice in my rice cooker.
I am Mannn: The Microwave Chef!

Offline BlondeMoment

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:53 AM »
I hate microwaves for everything except bacon. DH will use the one at home every great occasionally, but I avoid it (It was a gift, so I can't just get rid of it. And it's a nice one, so there's that)

Our motel room has a microwave, but judging by the looks of house rentals, this could take awhile. Mr Mann, Wineslob- talk to me about this "mini range".  And is it possible to (decently) cook chicken breasts in a microwave?
As a matter of fact, I *am* a "white wing bigot". I only enjoy venison. And fish. Lots and lots and lots of fish.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 02:37:02 AM »
It mostly worked this time. (last time I had 3 pounds of beef by mistake and used water instead of milk)

So I had the right amount of beef this go around. I used condensed milk.
The secret is nuking the noodles in water for 6 minutes to get them soft. The mistake I made this time was I added the liquid amounts suggested on the box, one cup water, two cups milk.
With the noodles already soft, I don't need near that much liquid. Next time will cut that in half

What I ended up with was a massive thickening sauce dish with a little bit of noodles and beef.
curses.
I had to nuke it like 18 minutes until the sauce evaporated enough where I could eat it.
Last time I had way too much beef, this time it was way too much sauce.
Still I ate the whole thing, tasted kinda sorta like Hamburger Helper.

Oh and I used a cup of freeze dried Ground Beef, 1 cup makes one pound.

One of these days I will come to a CC meet up, tell you all I'm Franksolich and give you one of my masterpiece dishes. Only afterwards will I tell you the beef was freeze dried and I'm really Mr Mannn. You will all be amazed to see how delicious the freeze dried beef is (and the gals will marvel at how clever Mannn really is).

I for one (unlike all these others) appreciate your dedication to getting this microwave recipe perfected.

But why do you even have hamburger as an ingredient ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8[/youtube]

There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
I appreciate Mr Mannn's experimentations as well.  And he eats what he kills.

I have a craving for Cheeseburger Macaroni HH now...

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »

So you're the Cheeseburger Macaroni HH killer.
Until now your identity was largely legend.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
Mr Mann, Wineslob- talk to me about this "mini range".  And is it possible to (decently) cook chicken breasts in a microwave?
Mini-Range. I have it but never used it. Its for pots and pans: stove top cooking.

Chicken breats in a micro? Never tried it. I would assume it would never brown. Best bet is to hit the deli at your grocer and buy them fully cooked, freeze and nuke as needed.

Bachelor cooking 101

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »

with all my experimentation, I've only thrown away two dishes.
I even ate the spaghetti mush I made by accident. slide down really easy.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
Mr Mann, Wineslob- talk to me about this "mini range".  And is it possible to (decently) cook chicken breasts in a microwave?

Goes on the countertop. I have a single burner unit that my wife and I will take on trips. In a hotel, it was pretty nice to be able to do a "romantic" dinner for two, if we didn't want to go out.

I would think they'd come out like leather.  :o
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline BlondeMoment

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
 :rofl: All right, you guys. I'm not *that* blonde. I found them (hot plates, single & dual- & toaster ovens) at Walmart. What I really meant (poor communications skills- sorry) was how do you cook stuff in them. On second thought, it's not rocket science. It turns out the trickier situation is washing dishes. (No hotplate to boil water, no clean dishes...chickens, eggs- bleah) It'll work out.
We're going home tonight to, among other things, do laundry & wash said dishes, & going to WM after we get back. I'm ditchin' that microwave one way or the other. Meanwhile, we "moved into" a barbecue place not far away.  :-) Not starvin'.

As a matter of fact, I *am* a "white wing bigot". I only enjoy venison. And fish. Lots and lots and lots of fish.

Offline Dori

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
I'm trying to think of things I cook in the microwave.

Besides heating stuff up, I think the micro is good for cooking vegetables and I like the way it cooks rice.  I would never cook meat in one, too tough.

There are a lot of microwave recipes on the internet.

When I was without my kitchen, I mostly cooked with an electric skillet, a hot plate and a crock pot.  Used as many paper plates as possible, but I did wash  dishes in the bathroom, using a plastic dishwashing tub.

We also did a lot of take out  :-)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

Looks legit...........

Offline BlondeMoment

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »
Wineslob? What. the hail. is that? (though i'm not sure I want know)

@Dori- well rice is a new one. A lot of people seem to have trouble cooking rice in a saucepan. (I don't get this, but whatever) I just have an aversion to microwaves- ever since the 80s when apartment complexes gave them away for new leases. We wouldn't have one now, but it was a gift.
Dishpans...I had taken one (for hand washing clothes) but got another one. I'm taking a step stool back with me this trip. talk about backbreaking.

I'm kinda surprised but the food hasn't been much better than San Antonio (which is dismal). Apparently, there is no fried catfish (that gets decent reviews) in Houston, anywhere. Corpus is 4 hours away. That's going to be the most expensive "non exclusive" lunch in history. I can't believe this with their being so close to Louisiana.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
Blondie (may I call you that?), the secret to good catfish is that it be "wild caught", that is, NOT farm-raised. Catfish tastes like what they eat, and in a fish farm, they sometimes use dog food. Yuck!! Either that, or the cheapest thing they can find.

Believe me, I've eaten fried catfish everywhere from Alabama to the wilds of Kansas, including most of the state of Texas, and nothing beats wild-caught, PERIOD.
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline BlondeMoment

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
:-D You wouldn't be the first. Where you at, Mike? If you're in proximity to Corpus Christi (Tx), have you had Catfish Charlie's? I have *never* had catfish like this! And this is what I'm looking to duplicate. (We're just going to bite the 4 hour bullet the end of Sept. MAJOR withdrawal) I don't know if it is wild caught or farmed, but it is beautiful & delicious. If you haven't had it, then you really need to go there. You will just about swallow your tongue. (Fishing is touch & go now, if you're into that. Up to our behinds...the whole coast- sometimes literally, in seaweed & muddy water. Sposed to be getting better...
Well, maybe not South Padre, dunno.

Update on the cooking arrangement: Microwave is messed up (fine). We got the Farberware double burner last night & it worked great for heating up the pup's ground sirloin (cooked at home & frozen). I can live with this! We're waiting on the toaster oven cause it won't be in until the 7th or the 9th 0.o