Author Topic: Migrating from Firefox to..........?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Migrating from Firefox to..........?
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »
Thought I'd start with Opera and Safari.

Last night, I tried to download Opera. Three tries that terminated prematurely, and the one that did download the full 33mb gave an error message saying that two .dll files couldn't be found. Went to bed 'cause Opera is a 2½ hour download.

Got up this morning and tried Opera again, and got another premature termination.

So I tried Safari. Downloaded successfully, but I find it awkward to use. BTW, this post is courtesy of cludgy Safari.

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Migrating from Firefox to..........?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »
I used Safari for a while.  It does take some time getting used to, but I thought it was okay.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »
Tried to download Opera again....another premature termination. Got to about 8mb before it crapped.

Chris, if you only used Safari "for a while", why did you give up on it?
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
The hard drive I was using crashed.  I think Chrome had been released at that time, so I switched to that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »
I have been using Google Chrome since it came out.  I am in IT and wouldn't suggest anything else, not even to my enemies.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
Well HOT DAMN!!!......

Finally got a good Opera download last night, but it was after midnight so I waited until this morning to install it.

Now I'll run Opera and Firefox side-by-side for a while to see if Opera is a suitable replacement. I think I'll import my Firefox bookmarks now, and play around in the sandbox.

I'll probably delete Safari today. BTW, this post comes via Opera.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
I have been using Google Chrome since it came out.  I am in IT and wouldn't suggest anything else, not even to my enemies.

My only problem with Chrome has come from other programs. 

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »
Well HOT DAMN!!!......

Finally got a good Opera download last night, but it was after midnight so I waited until this morning to install it.

Now I'll run Opera and Firefox side-by-side for a while to see if Opera is a suitable replacement. I think I'll import my Firefox bookmarks now, and play around in the sandbox.

I'll probably delete Safari today. BTW, this post comes via Opera.

I used Firefox back in the day, but it became to blotted and had to many memory leaks for my liking.  Although I admit some of it was the extensions I had installed.  Chrome was the fastest at rendering pages, although in some benchmark Opera does beat it.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
I to am in IT and changed to Chrome last week. So far I have no complaints.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:44:42 PM »
Only problem I have with Chrome is that it's a Google product. Google is far too much "in my business" for my liking.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:56 PM »
Only problem I have with Chrome is that it's a Google product. Google is far too much "in my business" for my liking.
I agree but its Chrome until I find something better. I'm open to suggestions
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
I changed over to Opera from FF several weeks ago - in response to the "resignation" of their CEO. I'm OK with it, though being POed at FF, not liking Google and not liking IE have much to do with that. The two things that bug me are "Speed Dial" management and not being able to print from Opera. I assume Speed Dials can be grouped in folders, but I haven't tried learning how. The print problem is significant to me. I can print from FF and Open Office, but there must be some setting that has Opera unable to know where to send the data. I've looked around "Settings" and "More Tools" to no avail. Anyone got a clue they can offer?

Were it not for those two annoyances, Opera works just fine for me. And for whatever reason, I had no problem downloading or installing it.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline taxed

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 02:04:43 AM »
I installed SRWare's Iron browser.  They gutted the Chrome build, and it's the fastest, best browsing I've ever had, hands down.

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
I installed SRWare's Iron browser.  They gutted the Chrome build, and it's the fastest, best browsing I've ever had, hands down.

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

I get a malware warning when I click on that link.