Author Topic: Build vs. Buy  (Read 2308 times)

Offline landofconfusion80

Build vs. Buy
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
We have our current house listed right now due to some unforseen incompetence in the real estate industry.  The reader's digest version of what's going on is we have a listing with nowhere to go.  There seems to be a whole lot of info out there about building vs. buying a house, or staying put but there's no teling what's accurate and what's not.  Kind of trying to make some lemonade out of some lemons and the wise people of the cave would seem like a good group to discuss it with.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline formerlurker

Re: Build vs. Buy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
I built twice.  Unless you have the capacity to stay on the builder/subcontractors like a hawk, then purchase something already built with a solid building inspection done.   Good luck!

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »
One last thing - if you decide to build, then landscaping (grading of soil) is EXTREMELY important, as is the pouring of your driveway (cement, or laying asphalt).   Don't skimp there or you will $$$ significantly for it later.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Thanks for the input! we're evidently in a bit of a gray area as far as cost.  We've got some decent equity in our current place, but can't really find anything so far that's better than where we're at.  one place we looked at already had the grading done and half the driveway gravel down.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)