Author Topic: shaving razor  (Read 17023 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
shaving razor
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »
Damn it, I'm in a real mess.

My electric shaver, which I'd had since college, burned out last December.  It was small hand-held Remington, with an electrical cord (I was never into batteryized things), and did yeoman duty, although as far as I know, I'm not heavily bearded.  Bearded, but not heavily so.

Given that this was during the beginning of a three-month-long deep freeze, I didn't want to bother getting a new one--at the moment--and resorted to disposable razors instead.

They're junk, disposable razors.

Especially the six-for-a-dollar ones from Dollar General; even using all six on one shave didn't do the job.

And the higher-priced ones, even the name-brands, have proven little better.

I'd just as soon get a new non-electric razor, like the one my father used to have (double-edged disposable razor blades, one could shave from either side, Gillette I think), but when I go to Walgreen's and Hy-Vee and all the other big stores, all I see are colorful plastic ones that don't look as if they'll be around long enough for new blades to be available.

I'd give my eye-teeth for one like my father used to have, but I don't see it on sale anywhere.

Anybody have any suggestions?  My situation is that yes, hair grows on the face and it needs shaved every day, but it's not heavy.  Average skin, not especially sensitive or tough. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: shaving razor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
Amazon. You can get a new safety razor and blades from there. It's what I use.

Damn it, I'm in a real mess.

My electric shaver, which I'd had since college, burned out last December.  It was small hand-held Remington, with an electrical cord (I was never into batteryized things), and did yeoman duty, although as far as I know, I'm not heavily bearded.  Bearded, but not heavily so.

Given that this was during the beginning of a three-month-long deep freeze, I didn't want to bother getting a new one--at the moment--and resorted to disposable razors instead.

They're junk, disposable razors.

Especially the six-for-a-dollar ones from Dollar General; even using all six on one shave didn't do the job.

And the higher-priced ones, even the name-brands, have proven little better.

I'd just as soon get a new non-electric razor, like the one my father used to have (double-edged disposable razor blades, one could shave from either side, Gillette I think), but when I go to Walgreen's and Hy-Vee and all the other big stores, all I see are colorful plastic ones that don't look as if they'll be around long enough for new blades to be available.

I'd give my eye-teeth for one like my father used to have, but I don't see it on sale anywhere.

Anybody have any suggestions?  My situation is that yes, hair grows on the face and it needs shaved every day, but it's not heavy.  Average skin, not especially sensitive or tough. 
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »
What is your budget?

[edit]

I don't think you could go wrong with a Edwin Jagger DE89.  Nadin it for some reviews.  They're around $40. 

As an alternative to Amazon (no offense to dutch), Royal Shave has a nicely laid out selection of razors and equipment.  Here is the razor I mentioned:

http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-092-00/edwin-jagger-de89-chrome-safety-razor.html

You might want to go with a different grip, if you feel that a handle without any friction surface might cause you slip with the razor.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:25:33 AM by BattleHymn »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
Filed this under serendipity, I just saw this ad yesterday.  It may be what you are looking for.

https://www.onerazor.com/

I was amazed to see that you could still buy these.  Side note:  One of my bathroom medicine cabinets still has the blade disposal feature in it.  The cabinet is OEM to house which was built in 1941 to support the Naval Shipyard workers.  Guess the theory was you stuck the used blade into the hole and it fell between the studs.  :???:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Guess the theory was you stuck the used blade into the hole and it fell between the studs.  :???:

Yes, that's the idea.  :-)  Sometimes plaster workers will run into a wall full of rusty blades.