Author Topic: Circuit court: No damages for 'rendition'  (Read 1240 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Circuit court: No damages for 'rendition'
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »
A federal appeals court, in a major victory for federal officials in pursuing individuals suspected of terrorism, ruled on Monday that foreign nationals may not sue U.S. government officers for money damages for capturing them and sending them to foreign countries where they were tortured.

The decision by the Second Circuit Court in New York City, in a high-profile case seen as a significant legal test of the U.S. program of “special rendition,” also barred a claim specific to this case that U.S. officials seriously mistreated the detained individual while he remained in this country before being sent abroad involuntarily.

In both aspects of its rulings, the Circuit Court found it unnecessary to rule on the federal government’s claim that the case could not go forward in court because it would intrude on the “state secrets privilege” against disclosing classsified information.

Still, one of the key reasons the Court blocked a damages remedy was its concern that “adjudication of the claim at issue would necessarily intrude on the implementation of national security policies and interfere with our country’s relations with foreign powers.”  In this case, it said, a court would have to probe the actions not only of the U.S. government, but of the governments of Canada, Jordan and Syria.

The decision, dividing the Circuit Court 2 to 1, came in the case of Arar v. Ashcroft, et al. (Circuit docket 06-4216). 

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/circuit-court-no-damages-for-rendition/
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Circuit court: No damages for 'rendition'
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Don't worry; Caesar Anthonius Kennedius will find a way to make sure the terrorists have this "right" too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:04:58 PM »
Don't worry; Caesar Anthonius Kennedius will find a way to make sure the terrorists have this "right" too.

leak the information to the NYT ?
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »

Well....if they did it correctly, there would be no lawsuits, as nobody would be alive that has "standing" before the court....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.