Author Topic: Yankees captain Derek Jeter announces via Facebook that the 2014 season will be  (Read 1978 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
The rest of that line is . . . "his last."

Yankees captain Derek Jeter announces via Facebook that the 2014 season will be his last

'The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball,' Jeter wrote.

By Mark Feinsand / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 2:09 PM

Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 2:22 PM

Get ready for another grand Yankees farewell tour.

Months after watching Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte hang up their spikes, Derek Jeter announced Wednesday on his Facebook page that 2014 will be his final season in baseball.

Jeter posted a lengthy letter to fans on the social media site, informing the world that he plans to retire after the upcoming season.

Casey Close, Jeter’s long-time agent, confirmed in an e-mail to the Daily News that the post did indeed come from Jeter.

“Last year was a tough one for me,” Jeter wrote as part of the post. “As I suffered through a bunch of injuries, I realized that some of the things that always came easily to me and were always fun had started to become a struggle. The one thing I always said to myself was that when baseball started to feel more like a job, it would be time to move forward.

I somehow expect Yankees' fans to start wailing and gnashing their teeth . . . :tongue:

Actually, he's always seemed to be away from the controversies that have swirled around the Yankees during his tenure there.  He's been a class act.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/jeter-announces-facebook-14-season-article-1.1611531#ixzz2t8gbzchy
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Well, I hope that it truly is his last season if he is going to go ahead and announce it ahead of time.

I'm far from a Yankees fan, but I have tremendous respect for him as a player and a person.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

DUmmies will blame it on Fox News. Gretchen Carlson's husband is his agent, so it has to be Fox News' fault.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Don't know why he didn't shut it down after last year, considering he only played in 19 games.

Oh, wait--$20 million for 2014.  Nevermind.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford