Author Topic: ?????Low Country Boil?????  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Noley

• Probationary (Probie)
?????Low Country Boil?????
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »
Low Country Bowl Questions?? We have always done it outside on huge cookers, how do you down size it and match the seasoning, I think this is like lasanga or big dishes it's not good for just a few people the biiger the better!!! Suggestions???

~Noley
If you can makes a girl SMILE you can make her do anything!!!

Offline Flame

Re: ?????Low Country Boil?????
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
Not sure what a "low country boil" is, but is it likecrawfish/crab/shrimp, etc???  I've never done one, but I don't see why you can't "size it down".   Try to do it in 1/2 increments and see if that works for ya!

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »
I don't know what this will taste like but the site allows you to alter the numbers of servings, so it will give you a clue as to the amounts to use.  Hope this helps. :)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Daves-Low-Country-Boil/Detail.aspx

Offline Noley

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »
Thanks!!!
If you can makes a girl SMILE you can make her do anything!!!

Offline cottondress

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »
Low Country Bowl Questions?? We have always done it outside on huge cookers, how do you down size it and match the seasoning, I think this is like lasanga or big dishes it's not good for just a few people the biiger the better!!! Suggestions???

~Noley

Ive usually made it for large groups...but the only adjustment you really need is in the amount of servings you need and the amount of "old bay" seasoning you use...and thats a matter of taste.I use shrimp,crab,potatoes,sausage,corn on the cob.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
I found a Low Country Boil in a Paula Deen cookbook I got a  couple years ago.  Makes six servings.

1 gallon water
2 tablespoons crab boil or Old Bay seasoning
2 tablespoons salt
2 small garlic cloves, minced
12 small new potatoes, cleaned
1 1/2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, quartered
6 ears corn, cut into 3 pieces
3 pounds medium shrimp

In a large stockpot, combine water, crab boil, salt, and garlic.  Bring to a boil.  Add potatoe; boil for 15-20 minutes or until almost tender.  Add the sausage; boil for 5 minutes.  Add the corn, boil for 5 minutes.  Add the shrimp, boil for 3 minutes more.  Serve.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
It's Beaufort stew, and or Frogmore stew. Both from the Low Country of SC. No need in using Old Bay or any crab boil etc.

make it the same way as ya do in a 50qt pot, just on the stove.

get your sausage......................can never have too much sausage. Start cooking the sausage and let the fat flavor the water. Next add the new or red taters.............let them get right, now add the corn.................when all is done, remove the sausage, taters and corn into your serving bowl............keep water boiling and add your skrimps..............remove skrimps and add to rest of the stuff.

About 1-2 pounds sausage
about 1 pound of taters
about 8-12 pieces of corn
1-2 pounds of shrimp headed

To make other variations add chicken thighs after taters, clams can be added with the shimps.............just be sure that you had the clams filtered...............you can also serve it with the broth you just made. I've also added blue and stone crab claws to it with the shrimp.

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.