Author Topic: Routers  (Read 2815 times)

Offline I_B_Perky

Routers
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
Anybody got any advice on wireless routers? Mine died about a year ago due to a lightening strike and I had to replace a bunch of stuff and was short of money so I bought the cheapest I could find at Staples cause I needed it right then... Netgear N300. It just doesn't have the range I need. I was looking at the Netgear Nighthawk but I have heard they are buggy as well as expensive. I need range more than speed. I had an old linksys with the attenas so I could point them where I needed to but the N300 has internal. I could go around $200.00 but would rather keep it down around $120.00 if I can.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I won't be back on here until next weekend so feel free to PM me.

Thanks!!!!   :cheersmate: :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Routers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Just an update... I ended up buying an Engenius AC1750 router for $119 from Microcenter. Has internal antennas. The range is better than the N300 and faster too. Signal a little weak at the far end of the house, 3-4 bars but at least a got a signal!  Anyway I made the Netgear N300 a wired access point, strung some cat5 wire upstairs to the far room and made the N300 a different network SSID. Now I can get WiFi to the end of my property. Be real handy in the summer as I like to sit outside under the tree in the evening.  Neighbor two doors down informed that he was getting my network SSID! The problem has always been I have a metal roof and that bounces signal.

The thing I like about it is you can have up to 4 different SSID's and a guest SSID on each band. That is like having 5 different networks per band. So I can have different networks for things like cell phones, kindles, etc and still keep the main one for the PC.

Can't beat the price.  If you don't need to broadcast thru a bunch of walls or metal, it is well worth the money.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi