Author Topic: primitive has chicken for supper  (Read 767 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive has chicken for supper
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115737230

Oh my.

I've been busy all day, but I didn't want the cooking and baking primitives to think that franksolich has abandoned them.

Texasgal (13,744 posts)    Sat Jan 11, 2014, 09:17 PM

I broke down and had chicken for lunch today. I went out to eat at a Thai restaurant with a friend. We had a few dishes and one of them contained chicken! I've gone veggie for a few years so I apprehensive.

My first time eating chicken in a few years was depressing. It had no taste... or no taste that I remember. Is it just me? Or was it the restaurant? Or has chicken in general lost that deep taste?

I'm so bummed. I really wanted to enjoy chicken since I've not had it in so long.

For anyone interested, the dish was a stir fry with scallions and ginger.

laundry_queen (5,387 posts)    Sat Jan 11, 2014, 10:35 PM

1. Not just you. Conventionally grown chicken is tasteless.

I didn't realize how horrible it was until my (now ex) husband brought home 5 chickens from a local hutterite farm. omg, those chickens tasted like heaven!

I don't eat chicken as much anymore. And I never eat chicken leftovers - they make me gag. I really think it's the way chicken is grown now because I was never like that before with chicken.

Warpy (73,709 posts)    Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:14 PM

2. Chicken generally doesn't have a lot of flavor

and factory farmed chicken has no flavor or texture at all. One would think the heavy use of spices in Thai cooking would have made it edible. However, it's not just you.

If you want to do an experiment, get a Rosie's chicken breast or other part. That chicken has flavor and you can't cut it with the side of a fork.

I find I've also lost any liking for beef, it tastes just like wet cardboard to me. It has to be heavily spiced to have any flavor at all, so I skip it unless I'm eating it out to be polite.

My own use of meat is to use it as a flavoring, not a slab o tasteless dead animal on a plate. It's an indespensible element in a lot of my soups, stews and stir fries. However, the v*****s are at least its equals and often its superiors.

cbayer (127,059 posts)    Sun Jan 12, 2014, 12:47 PM

3. Not you. Chicken in the US has degraded tremendously.

Now, if you could get a fresh, free range chicken, I think your experience would be entirely different.

Lucinda (17,502 posts)    Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:59 PM

4. I've gone v****e twice, for a few years each time, and I usually react the same way

that you did to most animal proteins now, unless we cook at home. I can control the texture and flavor profiles enough to keep it interesting.

I could easily return to v****e land, and probably will again at some point in time, but right now I am really enjoying Steaks, Italian Deli Meats, and Sausage enough to keep me a carnivore for a while longer. I probably only have them a few times a week these days, but I enjoy them when I have them.

Well, let me say this about that.

The primitives are always yelling and screaming for cheap food; they're always whining about how expensive groceries are.

The year franksolich was born, the "average" American family spent nearly 40% of their income on groceries, a statistic that at the time didn't include dining out.  The good life was possible however because housing, utilities, stuff, and.....taxes.....were much lower than they are today.

I saw a statistic a couple of years ago--apparently these days, the "average" American family spends 8% of their income on groceries, and that statistic now includes dining out.

It's reasonable to assume that these days the "average" primitive family spends a larger proportion of its income on credit-card interest, fees, and penalties, than on groceries.

It's true the quality of food has declined in franksolich's lifetime too.

This is because the primitives are always clamoring for cheap groceries, and it's a lot cheaper for farmers and food processors to put out cheap food, than good food.

If the primitives think the food today's lousy, the primitives got only themselves to blame.

One gets what one pays for.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: primitive has chicken for supper
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
Are you feeling okay, frank?  You missed a v****e in the first post by Texasgal.  Fourth sentence, third word.  :-)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
Are you feeling okay, frank?  You missed a v****e in the first post by Texasgal.  Fourth sentence, third word.  :-)

Oops, I did miss that.  My bad.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Oops, I did miss that.  My bad.

You're usually at the top of your game when it comes to the cooking and baking primitives, so I was surprised to see that v****e hanging right out there for all to see.  I figured maybe you'd had a rough day. 

Also, it's good to see Lucinda coming down from her lofty throne and lowering herself to talk to the denizens in the cooking and baking forum.  Somebody should tell her that unless she has switched to an exclusively meat diet, she's an omnivore, and not a carnivore, as she referred to herself.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »

Yeah, I noticed dear old sweet Lu did some work in her forum today, commenting upon another primitive's thread.

Usually she just drops in, posts a new thread, "What's for supper?" no text, and then leaves, leaving the drones to do all the work.

She's a flop as a hostess, never getting engaged in her own forum, and I suspect that's why so many famous primitives of yore who used to be really active there, left.  If dear old sweet Lu's not going to post and comment, why should they?

In fact, I've noticed topics more suitable for the cooking and baking forum are popping up in the Lounge, probably because the primitives appreciate some input, some feedback, which they haven't been getting from dear old sweet Lu.

If I were Skins, I'd seriously consider merging the cooking and baking forum with the Lounge.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
Have you noticed she doesn't even respond in her "what's for dinner" threads even though another primitive will ask her directly what she is having? 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
Have you noticed she doesn't even respond in her "what's for dinner" threads even though another primitive will ask her directly what she is having? 

You know, I have to remind again that dear old sweet Lu is a monumental improvement over the vile hate-filled hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer, who was, informally, the "leader" of the cooking and baking primitives until DU3 came into being, and hippyhubby Wild Bill, jealous because she was paying more attention to her fellow primitives than to him, made her close her account on Skins's island.

But as hostess of the cooking and baking forum, dear old sweet Lu is an abysmal flop.  It appears all she wanted was the title and the homage one pays to a boss; that she didn't expect to have to work too.

Traffic is down, way down, in the cooking and baking forum, and it gets worse every month.  Long-time posters have gone elsewhere.  The place used to collect recipes; now it collects cobwebs.

It's because dear old sweet Lu is lazy; she thinks that as hostess, all she has to do is regally sit on her ample ass all day long, and have the drone primitives do all the work.

Imagine what the DUmpster would be like, if the main moderators SGT Snuggle Bunny and Freeper had the same attitude; the DUmpster'd probably be the smallest forum on conservativecave, little used and little noted. 

But because they're who they are, they're very active here, posting and commenting all the time, providing an example for members to follow.  They're engaged, they're involved, and they care.....and since SGT Snuggle Bunny and Freeper care, the rest of us care too.

- - - - - - - - - -

It's been occasionally mentioned that dear old sweet Lu has been ill, but one fails to understand why this would interfere with her doing her job.  There's lots of primitives who allege themselves very ill, near death, but that doesn't stop them from racking up posts approaching 100,000.  When I had pneumonia two years ago, I still found it easier than strawberries-and-cream, to post here.  I mean, it doesn't take a whole lot to just sit in a chair in front of a computer.....

In case one's not aware, dear old sweet Lu doesn't work outside the home; befuddled bewhiskered Bill, he with the countenance of a Pennsylvania Dutch farmer, brings home the bacon, and all she has to do is cook it.  And unlike Mrs. Alfred Packer's Wild Bill, befuddled bewhiskered Bill caters to every whim and caprice of his wife.  Anything and everything dear old sweet Lu wants, befuddled bewhiskered Bill gets it for her.

With that sort of domestic arrangement, how hard is it, to post something more than just a "what's for supper thread?" (title only, no content); how hard is it, to spend more than a minute every day hanging around Skins's island?

- - - - - - - - - -

And dear old sweet Lu's got lots and lots of good material for writing; she lives in the mountains and forests of western North Carolina-eastern Tennessee.  She does the witchcraft and sorcery thing.  She's got a rather, uh, colorful character of a husband, who deserves written about.  She's afflicted with piles.  She probaby has pets.  &c., &c., &c.

<<<could easily and effortlessly write volumes about such things, if knew anything about them.

It'd be nice--and encourage primitives to post more--if, for example, dear old sweet Lu, when asking what's for supper, at the same time tells the other primitives what she made for befuddled bewhiskered Bill, who works the night shift at the local sawmill, and "brown-bags" it, although his lunch-box is a handled Karo syrup can, not a sack.  She could illuminate the other primitives how to make such delicacies themselves, and as a "human interest" angle, describe what befuddled bewhiskered Bill thought of it.

The cooking and baking forum obviously needs a new hostess, a hostess who cares.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
Whenever I have chicken it still tastes like chicken to me.  :???:

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
A comparison of food budget shares (based on Food-at-Home expenditures) from over 70
countries (Table 3) suggests that, on average, the United States has achieved a higher level of
social welfare (based on this particular indicator) than any of the other countries in the database.

United States $34,541 $2,723 6.6%

Some interesting data in this study.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40545.pdf
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
Great.

We already have to tolerate wine snobs, beer snobs, coffee snobs, sushi snobs, pizza snobs, and Italian restaurant snobs.

Now we've got chicken snobs.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Great.

We already have to tolerate wine snobs, beer snobs, coffee snobs, sushi snobs, pizza snobs, and Italian restaurant snobs.

Now we've got chicken snobs.

Pretty soon there'll be snob snobs. :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Pretty soon there'll be snob snobs. :tongue:
[/quote

One  dark night on the 11/7 shift I met this young nurse on the same break I had. 
We discussed every thing from how to raise the kids to the price of Tea in china.

One thing stood out, this Nurse was feeding her 4 kids on beans, rice and can of vegetables .  All they could eat  and a pot of rice for them to dig into when they were hungry. 

Chicken perhaps once a week.  Meat like pork  or beef perhaps once a month. 

Her cost was about $ 100 a month to feed 6 family members

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
A comparison of food budget shares (based on Food-at-Home expenditures) from over 70 countries (Table 3) suggests that, on average, the United States has achieved a higher level of social welfare (based on this particular indicator) than any of the other countries in the database.

United States $34,541 $2,723 6.6%

Some interesting data in this study.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40545.pdf

Thanks for linking to that; that was interesting.

My heart goes out to all decent and civilized people trying to raise a family given all the hefty expenditures they have to make on things, including food, but such sympathy does't extend to the primitives, who never sit down and try to figure out why things are the way things are.

The primitives demand cheap groceries, and they get it--at the price of a lower quality of food.

It's like their pining nostalgia for the old family farm; the primitives forget that our tax system encourages corporate farms, discourages small farms.

If we were to have the same tax system--and the same level of taxation--that we had in, say, circa 1940, I can guarantee the primitives that there'd be millions upon millions of small family farms, from Miami to Seattle, from Bangor to San Diego.

But of course if we were to have the same tax system we had back then, there wouldn't be any money for freebies to give the primitives.....

Primitives never sit down and try to figure out why things are the ways they are.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
I think more people should be vegetarians or better yet vegans. This will leave a bigger supply and corresponding lower prices for us carnivores. If they have any compassion every single leftists would swear off eating tasty animals.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »
I think more people should be vegetarians or better yet vegans. This will leave a bigger supply and corresponding lower prices for us carnivores. If they have any compassion every single leftists would swear off eating tasty animals.

That would help.

By the way, sir, you're from California, and so I'm reminded of something.

Nebraska used to be third-largest dairy state, after New York and Wisconsin, but that's not the case any more; we're probably only fourth or fifth now.  During the 1950s and 1960s, because taxes were more favorable for such an enterprise in California than they were here, many dairy farmers migrated from here to there.

Lots and lots of dairy farmers, cows, and big bucks flowed from here to your state.

However, since the primitives took over California and instituted not only a whole lot of exorbitant taxes, but extremely excessive regulation, the flow's reversing itself.  It may take a generation or two, but it's happening.

<<<would not want to be a farmer in California, despite all the natural advantages California has, when it comes to farming.

I'm sure agriculture's pretty important for the economy of California, but it's withering away now.

The primitives never sit down to think about things, and why they are the ways they are.  The primitives have no idea, no idea at all, how much taxes and regulation affect business decisions.
apres moi, le deluge