Author Topic: Study finds Medicaid expansion drove up ER visits  (Read 11540 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Study finds Medicaid expansion drove up ER visits
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-medicaid-expansion-drove-er-visits-190311748.html

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A new study has found that people enrolled recently in Medicaid went to the emergency room 40 percent more frequently than others, often seeking help for conditions that could be treated less expensively in a doctor's office or an urgent care clinic.

Welcome to Greece,the USA version.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Study finds Medicaid expansion drove up ER visits
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Welcome to Greece,the USA version.

:ownit:

Not you Carl...  :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
There are probably long waits to get appointments for Medicaid patients and they are told to go to the ER if it's a condition that can't wait.   

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
There are probably long waits to get appointments for Medicaid patients and they are told to go to the ER if it's a condition that can't wait.   

A cold can't wait, it will go away in a week to 10 days usually, so they need treatment.  :-)

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
A cold can't wait, it will go away in a week to 10 days usually, so they need treatment.  :-)

I was thinking about my kids visits to the doctor.  9 out of 10 times was because they were sick/running a fever and needed to be seen right away.  A general check up and to get booster shots etc could wait for an appointment.

A woman I know has a Medi-Cal (Calif. Medicaid) type of insurance and she was having a problem with her feet.  She had to wait almost 2 months to get a regular appointment.  Oh, and she could only get one problem addressed.  Complaining about something else required scheduling  another appointment at a later date.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:38:06 PM by Dori »
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Hijinx

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
It was pretty certain to happen

I just read about a woman who went to the ER and they wouldn't accept her new Obamacare because she didn't have a card from the Insurance Company she signed up with 2 days before Christmas.

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »
It was pretty certain to happen

I just read about a woman who went to the ER and they wouldn't accept her new Obamacare because she didn't have a card from the Insurance Company she signed up with 2 days before Christmas.

We are going to start hearing a lot of these stories.  Watch the mainstream media not report them.