Author Topic: Ok techno geeks  (Read 6525 times)

Offline jtyangel

Ok techno geeks
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
So I may speak without drooling in stupidity to the IT people at work when I bring my laptop in to look at, I need help from the computer literate peeps here. I also just want to know because at this point it's like that word you just can't pull out of the brain bag and it's annoying the heck out of me. So here is the thing--wireless won't connect properly but only on  my work computer. Went through the rigamoroux with my internet provider and all tested fine and other puters and phones and such link up no problem yet my work computer will show that it is connected with no internet access. What is the likely problem with it given that it is not a connection issue. FYI, I can use the ethernet cable and put it right to the modem with no issue of course, just the wireless doesn't seem to make all the connections it needs to for a complete connection.

Ok, thanks, bye:-)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Ok techno geeks
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
A couple of questions to start the ball rolling:  What operating system are you using.  Is your laptop wireless  feature turned on? (Usually controlled from shifting to a function key (FN is like shift) that looks like a tornado symbol above the number /symbol keys).

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Dori

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
How long has it been doing this? 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
I'm going to make a couple of assumptions...

1) It worked fine before and just, out of the blue sky, decided not to work.

2) This computer remains connected to the Internets over night, possibly even by wifi.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
windows 7 that was only put on in August of this year

and yes it is turned on

Dori, It was intermittent for the last few weeks and then yesterday it as every couple of hours on again and off again and then finally it crapped out entirely when it went out for the 3rd time this morning in 3 hours. AFter verifying the modem and router were working and having them run tests on those by the internet provider and that all of my other computer's connected with no issue after the reset except this one, the focus was on this one. He even had me reestablish the connection on my work computer after testing the lines--no go. The closest I get is I have it fully connected, start the process to establish the VPN, and poof, it goes to 'connected but no internet access' and of course I can't connect to explorer to start the VPN process.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »

and yes it is turned on

Dori, It was intermittent for the last few weeks and then yesterday it as every couple of hours on again and off again and then finally it crapped out entirely when it went out for the 3rd time this morning in 3 hours. AFter verifying the modem and router were working and having them run tests on those by the internet provider and that all of my other computer's connected with no issue after the reset except this one, the focus was on this one. He even had me reestablish the connection on my work computer after testing the lines--no go. The closest I get is I have it fully connected, start the process to establish the VPN, and poof, it goes to 'connected but no internet access' and of course I can't connect to explorer to start the VPN process.

Ah interesting, VPN.

That can be temperamental, especially if you got cut over to another router on the provider side.

Can you ping the VPN device? Or even google.com?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Have a look at this...

http://strongvpn.com/mtu.shtml

Edit: do the ping test and make sure to pay close attention to the DOS switches used. The 1492 packet size is just a recommendation and may not work for you, you may have to go lower.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:15:08 PM by EagleKeeper »
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »

and yes it is turned on

Are the other computers turned on?  I had a similar problem with my lap top a few weeks ago.  Had everything checked out with the provider and kept doing a reset.  It would show that it was connected, but yet it wasn't.  I still have trouble from time to time when the other computers are being connected or in use. 

I was thinking that maybe the modem needs replaced.  My network does seem to take forever to cycle when reset, and it may take a couple of resets.

Sorry, this wasn't any help, but I have a similar problem to yours and I am no geek either.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
Have you upgraded the drivers for your wireless card?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
Ah interesting, VPN.

That can be temperamental, especially if you got cut over to another router on the provider side.

Can you ping the VPN device? Or even google.com?

losing me..I'm on the vpn now but using the ethernet. I know the folks who can remote in will figure all that out you are suggesting. I think I just want to know because it will irritate me not knowing before I will have a moment to contact them and have the issue corrected. Thanks for indulging me peeps.

Dori,
my other computers are on. I've had intermittent problems there but not as many as the work computer and once it was all reset the work computer was the only one that would do that.

The other computers was why I thought it was an equipment/provider related issue and not my actual laptop, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
I'm going to make a couple of assumptions...

1) It worked fine before and just, out of the blue sky, decided not to work.

2) This computer remains connected to the Internets over night, possibly even by wifi.

No, it's been an intermittent problem in recent weeks getting progressively worse and NO I do not keep it connected--in fact we are required to shut all the way down when we log off. The laptop is totally off until it is restarted the next morning.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Have you upgraded the drivers for your wireless card?

I would not do any of that--Chris, I think you know where I work, we are allowed limited control over changing anything lol...but you all are giving me clues as to what I'm looking at and I'll give the Chris-like peeps at my work a call on Monday :-) My weekend is about to start and I'm wrapping up work on my shackled computer now:-D

edit to add grasias--that's post-rino immigration reform American for Thank you;-)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:23:57 PM by jtyangel »

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
losing me..I'm on the vpn now but using the ethernet. I know the folks who can remote in will figure all that out you are suggesting. I think I just want to know because it will irritate me not knowing before I will have a moment to contact them and have the issue corrected. Thanks for indulging me peeps.

Dori,
my other computers are on. I've had intermittent problems there but not as many as the work computer and once it was all reset the work computer was the only one that would do that.

The other computers was why I thought it was an equipment/provider related issue and not my actual laptop, but now I'm not so sure.

Whomever works on your PC should be steered to this article for consideration...

Your PC is connected to the internet but it is having trouble squeezing its packets through the VPN tunnel.

Reduce the size of the packets and viola.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »

Whomever works on your PC should be steered to this article for consideration...

Your PC is connected to the internet but it is having trouble squeezing its packets through the VPN tunnel.

Sweet! At least I have something to perhaps suggest so it's not a 3 hour phone call. Thanks all!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:32 PM »
Ja, your VPN MTU size may be set incorrectly. :p

Our old one was like that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »

Must not.......
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
:rotf:   

:hammer:

Seriously, clue me in on the joke cause I was not kidding.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
squeezing its packets through the VPN tunnel

Wineslob was resisting the opportunity to take this thread into the gutter.   :-)   

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
Have you folkes ever looked at a conversation between a windows box and a windows server?

Have you ever looked at that same conversation as it occurs over a vpn tunnel

Have you ever looked at that conversation as it happens over layer 3 switch?

I've had to track what happens between a juniper and cisco AT@T router because the AT@T flunky was lying to me.

I've brought servers back from the dead for blackberry and maricopa county.

Have you ever looked at the conversation that two windows servers have when trying to replicate directory information?

Do you even know what that means?

Of course you haven't, why would you, your'e just end users.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:22:26 PM by EagleKeeper »
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
I don't get to play with the nice toys. :(

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I don't get to play with the nice toys. :(

I didn't get nice toys, I used rejected Dell boxes with linux and snort.

And of course port bridging was a fave, I lubed me some limp dick executives that had to hide behind me.cause, you know not only did I sit on the perimeter but I also controlled the email system
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:39:15 PM by EagleKeeper »
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
Do you people even know that your texting goes out across the network In the clear?

I once followed a couple that ended up getting divorced, It wasn't anything I did but they were doomed.

Does your text client encrypt your data?

Do you know, do you even care?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-Sun Tzu

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
ping (ip or website) -n 100 (number of times you want to ping it) -L(lower case) 1500 (1500=packet size)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson