Author Topic: Gluten Free?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Gluten Free?
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Ok, I've seen this being floated across the news, innerwebs, facebook, etc... Everyone and thier mother NEEDS to be Gluten-Free. Even my neighbor is falling for this crap. Friends are falling for this crap. I'd say half of my daughters friends are doing the gluten-free diet. As far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than a "me too! I'm special!" cry for attention. I call BULLSHITE, and I was right:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/when-food-is-family/201311/gluten-free-fad-friend-or-foe

Seriously, WTF is wrong with humans?

:thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dori

Re: Gluten Free?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
Ok, I've seen this being floated across the news, innerwebs, facebook, etc... Everyone and thier mother NEEDS to be Gluten-Free. Even my neighbor is falling for this crap. Friends are falling for this crap. I'd say half of my daughters friends are doing the gluten-free diet. As far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than a "me too! I'm special!" cry for attention. I call BULLSHITE, and I was right:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/when-food-is-family/201311/gluten-free-fad-friend-or-foe

Seriously, WTF is wrong with humans?

:thatsright:

It's a fad.  Like clothing styles etc.  Everyone is doing it, so the sheeple follow.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
Anyone remember when MSG was the bad thing to have in food?

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
It's a great way to be a pain in the ass drama queen at any family gathering.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
^^ Boy, you got that right.  My boss is expecting a pure vegan over Christmas holidays, and she's fretting.  She says she'll feel bad when everyone else is mowing down, and special snowflake is nibbling on lettuce leaves. 

I have not fallen into the gluten-free thing.  What everyone seems to be talking about, is how difficult it is to find acceptable alternatives.  What a pain in the ass! 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
It's a great way to be a pain in the ass drama queen at any family gathering.

Ya, a DUmmies wet dream. Seems like this year the media is going over-board with this "fad".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
It has somewhat become a "fad" of sorts, but Coeliac disease is no laughing matter.  My nephew was diagnosed with it as an infant, and nearly died.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
It has somewhat become a "fad" of sorts, but Coeliac disease is no laughing matter.  My nephew was diagnosed with it as an infant, and nearly died.

Isn't celiac an allergy of sorts?  I know a woman who tried that diet for a month, but she said she couldn't tell any difference in how she felt.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
Isn't celiac an allergy of sorts?  I know a woman who tried that diet for a month, but she said she couldn't tell any difference in how she felt.

Yes, it is basically an allergy to gluten.  The gluten triggers and auto-immune response and can make people with Celiac's disease very, very ill.  If you aren't sensitive to gluten then going gluten free is unlikely to affect you in any way. 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
Good grief, I see another government regulation.
Grain probably = gluten
Vegans suffer.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
I, too, have noticed the "Gluten Free fad". Granted, there ARE those who have Celiac's Disease or who are truly gluten intolerant. The problem I see is that with all of these other potentially gluten induced problems being published on the net, people are self-diagnosing and jumping on this gluten free bandwagon. I think that this will lead to a malnourished nation, if we aren't already there.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline cmypay

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 05:35:27 AM »
Oh, I think we are already there with the malnutrition. One thing I have noticed is that the two (actually diagnosed) gluten sensitive people I know are very quiet about it. They "eat around" what is offered. When I know one or the other will be here, I just make sure to have plenty of fruits, vegetables and meats available.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
My sister was diagnosed with cancer in 2011.  After a year of chemotherapy and a hysterectomy, her cancer is in remission.  One of the unfortunate side-effects of the treatment is digestive issues (and frequent visits to the restroom).  Her doctor recommended a gluten-free diet earlier this year and she seems to be doing much better.

It has its uses.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.