Author Topic: mashed potatoes and bacon chips  (Read 6647 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
mashed potatoes and bacon chips
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
This isn't a recipe, Thor, sir.

Anyway, some weeks ago out of curiosity I bought one of those $1 packets of Betty Crocker "Loaded Mashed" instant potatoes.  Instant potatoes of course have been around for eons, but I always ignored them, supposing they were nothng near as good as the real thing.

I dunno why I tried it, but I got immediately hooked.   These are good.  There's other sorts in the Betty Crocker line, but I've just bought the "Loaded Mashed" type, potatoes with a touch of cheese, chives, bacon bits, and sour cream; the packet that ostensibly serves four (4 x 2/3rd of a cup), but I eat the whole thing all up in one sitting, by myself.  Also, despite that it doesn't call for it, I add a chunk of real butter, and of course salt and pepper.

Before I go any further, I should mention that I dine lightly.  I'm just as much of a glutton as the next guy, but the family history is a long dirge of melancholy, when it comes to what happened to those of us who made fine dining a "pleasureable experience."  So even though I have the motivations of a glutton, I dine lightly.  One of these packets is one whole meal for me, one time a day (I dine upon other cuisine for breakfast and lunch).

To me, food is just a fuel, nothing else.

Anyway.

The other day, I came across packets of Farmland "Premium Real Hickory Bacon Bits," and wondered how those would taste, when mixed in with the potatoes.  Not the whole packet, just a couple of tablespoons of it, for each packet of instant mashed potatoes.

Man, this is the greatest stuff since the invention of sliced bread.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: mashed potatoes and bacon chips
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Instant mashed potatoes with extra sharp New York cheddar cheese is better!
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
Instant mashed potatoes with extra sharp New York cheddar cheese is better!

And the bacon chips.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
The other day, I came across packets of Farmland "Premium Real Hickory Bacon Bits," and wondered how those would taste, when mixed in with the potatoes.  Not the whole packet, just a couple of tablespoons of it, for each packet of instant mashed potatoes.

Two thumbs up, for sure.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Bacon FTW!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
This isn't a recipe, Thor, sir.

Anyway, some weeks ago out of curiosity I bought one of those $1 packets of Betty Crocker "Loaded Mashed" instant potatoes.  Instant potatoes of course have been around for eons, but I always ignored them, supposing they were nothng near as good as the real thing.

I dunno why I tried it, but I got immediately hooked.   These are good.  There's other sorts in the Betty Crocker line, but I've just bought the "Loaded Mashed" type, potatoes with a touch of cheese, chives, bacon bits, and sour cream; the packet that ostensibly serves four (4 x 2/3rd of a cup), but I eat the whole thing all up in one sitting, by myself.  Also, despite that it doesn't call for it, I add a chunk of real butterbacon grease, and of course salt and pepper.

Before I go any further, I should mention that I dine lightly.  I'm just as much of a glutton as the next guy, but the family history is a long dirge of melancholy, when it comes to what happened to those of us who made fine dining a "pleasureable experience."  So even though I have the motivations of a glutton, I dine lightly.  One of these packets is one whole meal for me, one time a day (I dine upon other cuisine for breakfast and lunch).

To me, food is just a fuel, nothing else.

Anyway.

FIFY
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »
It's a side that eats like a meal.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
We do a lot of business with Farmland, and their stuff is always good. 

Instant mashed potatoes:  People love them or hate them.  I happen to love them. 

Speaking of Farmland, in the ham section, look for a vacuum pack of "Smoked Ham Spiral pieces and slices."  It's excellent, and quite inexpensive for protein these days.  $1.80/lb or so.  It comes in a 2 lb. pack.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »

Speaking of Farmland, in the ham section, look for a vacuum pack of "Smoked Ham Spiral pieces and slices."  It's excellent, and quite inexpensive for protein these days.  $1.80/lb or so.  It comes in a 2 lb. pack.

OMG is it good and inexpensive.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
We do a lot of business with Farmland, and their stuff is always good. 

Instant mashed potatoes:  People love them or hate them.  I happen to love them. 

Farmland was one of the sponsors of the Kansas City Bacon Festival. They had a circus tent with banquet tables inside, and serving pans full of different bacons.

Ah, good times.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
Good with a bit of sour cream on top too. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:44:54 AM »
Good with a bit of sour cream on top too. 

Just how much did Frank pay you for that plug??  **ducks**     :-)
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
Yeah, but Frank wouldn't have just "a bit."  He'd upend the carton over the plate.   :-)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
Just how much did Frank pay you for that plug??  **ducks**     :-)

Jus sayin is all.   :wink:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
Farmland was one of the sponsors of the Kansas City Bacon Festival. They had a circus tent with banquet tables inside, and serving pans full of different bacons.

Ah, good times.

Cool. I like bacon on mashed potatoes, but I prefer baked potatoe with lots of bacon.  :yahoo:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Purple Sage

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »

Please help!
I've known some pathological liars in my time, but 0 takes the prize.