Author Topic: Photography  (Read 62881 times)

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
Photography
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »
My hobby is photography.
Way back in the day I was a film photographer, I developed my own film and printed my own photographs.

I lost interest for a long long time but with digital photography and Photoshop I'm back into photography and loving it to the point where I'm an administrator on a Photoshop forum.
I also love to read and travel and since I'm retired I have plenty of time for both.
Steve

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
I have always been envious of folks that are good with photography... Back in "the day" I took like a brazillion photos in my grandmother's garden of flowers, bugs on flowers and other such, imagining how stellar it would come out, and wasted a ton of money on film developing.  I can't even begin to understand the digital photoworks of today.  I suppose I should take a class. 

We have a few folks here that are great photographers.  Me?  I just like to look at cool pictures.  Why don't you post some?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
My hobby is photography.
Way back in the day I was a film photographer, I developed my own film and printed my own photographs.

I lost interest for a long long time but with digital photography and Photoshop I'm back into photography and loving it to the point where I'm an administrator on a Photoshop forum.
I also love to read and travel and since I'm retired I have plenty of time for both.
Steve
You ain't the only one.
Whatcha shooting now?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
I'm getting into candid or street photography and then using a Dragan processing style.
This is one of his:

This is one of mine:

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
I have always been envious of folks that are good with photography... Back in "the day" I took like a brazillion photos in my grandmother's garden of flowers, bugs on flowers and other such, imagining how stellar it would come out, and wasted a ton of money on film developing.  I can't even begin to understand the digital photoworks of today.  I suppose I should take a class. 

We have a few folks here that are great photographers.  Me?  I just like to look at cool pictures.  Why don't you post some?

Digital is so much better in my opinion.
You can put 1 image or a thousand of images on a sd card and it cost the same.
I use Photoshop but there are plenty of free powerful photo editing programs available.

There are also a lot of free tutorials on line, give it a shot, it's fun.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
For some reason, I hate doing people. Just hate it. Avoid at all costs.
Now, what are you shooting with?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
For some reason, I hate doing people. Just hate it. Avoid at all costs.
Now, what are you shooting with?

It can be awkward for sure.
I also like architecture (windows, doors), landscapes, birds, lots more.
I have a Canon 60D with the stock 18-135.
Also 70-300, 10-22, and a 50 f1.4

How about you?

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:30 PM »
I like the pics you posted....I like that kind of image you produce with peeps and I like it with autos as well...like a old school photo but not.  :-)
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 07:47:55 AM »
It can be awkward for sure.
I also like architecture (windows, doors), landscapes, birds, lots more.
I have a Canon 60D with the stock 18-135.
Also 70-300, 10-22, and a 50 f1.4

How about you?
40D, 70D, 5DMkII. EFS 18-135 STM and EFS 17-85 for the croppers, and for all, EF 24-105L; EF 100L macro; EF 70-200 f/2.8L and the EF 100-400L.

How do like that 10-22?  I've been considering an ultra-wide, but, I would want a full framer.

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
Oooo, you have some big boy stuff there, very nice.

The 70D wasn't around when I bought my camera 2 years ago.
My choice was the 7D or 60D, I wen't with the newer technology.

I love the cameras great low light capability and at 18mp I can crop closer with no or very little loss.
I really like the 10-22, chromatic aberration isn't too much of an issue it's easily eliminated in lens correction with ACR in Photoshop.
It is a crop sensor only lens you can't use it on the 5DMkII, I don't know what the full frame equivalent would be.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
Oooo, you have some big boy stuff there, very nice.

The 70D wasn't around when I bought my camera 2 years ago.
My choice was the 7D or 60D, I wen't with the newer technology.

I love the cameras great low light capability and at 18mp I can crop closer with no or very little loss.
I really like the 10-22, chromatic aberration isn't too much of an issue it's easily eliminated in lens correction with ACR in Photoshop.
It is a crop sensor only lens you can't use it on the 5DMkII, I don't know what the full frame equivalent would be.
The 10-22 is equivalent to a 16-35 on a full framer.  As you can tell, I opted for mostly EF mounts, because they work on both style of sensors.
Last weekend I shot just the 70 at the NASCAR race in Charlotte.
This coming weekend is an airshow.  The 70 gets the 100-400, and 5 gets the 24-105.
Just to let you see how crazy the 70 is, I took this a couple weeks ago from the front yard.
70D+100-400+1.4x extender.  Hand held.  Yes, it's exactly what you think it is. :-)

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
The 10-22 is equivalent to a 16-35 on a full framer.  As you can tell, I opted for mostly EF mounts, because they work on both style of sensors.
Last weekend I shot just the 70 at the NASCAR race in Charlotte.
This coming weekend is an airshow.  The 70 gets the 100-400, and 5 gets the 24-105.
Just to let you see how crazy the 70 is, I took this a couple weeks ago from the front yard.
70D+100-400+1.4x extender.  Hand held.  Yes, it's exactly what you think it is. :-)

Well the 10/22 is designed for a crop sensor camera, so there's no focal length adjustment on it, it's a true 10/22 on my camera.
My 50 and 70/300 are red dot lenses and you use the 1.6 multiplier on those lenses.
What is that a night shot of a bird (Owl maybe)?

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »
Click on the image, it will reload.
Try ISS.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
I kinda thought that was what it was, but wasn't totally sure....that's amazing.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
There is another ISS pass in a week.  Might try again.

Offline SLS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
There is another ISS pass in a week.  Might try again.

Holy cow, now I see it, that's incredible.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
Holy cow, now I see it, that's incredible.
If you have, or have access to, a 400mm or better. Give it a try.
It'll drive you nuts.
If you do wish to try, go here --> http://www.heavens-above.com
This will tell you when you might have an opportunity.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
If you have, or have access to, a 400mm or better. Give it a try.
It'll drive you nuts.
If you do wish to try, go here --> http://www.heavens-above.com
This will tell you when you might have an opportunity.

You can sign up for email alerts from NASA for when the station will pass overhead.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »
Odd, SLS, seems to have disappeared.  :???:

Perhaps I, or someone else could start a new thread along the same lines.
Just to keep this one going for a little longer.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
WOW Skul that is a cool pic of the plane. I am not a photographer but I can appreciate a good photo.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »
WOW Skul that is a cool pic of the plane. I am not a photographer but I can appreciate a good photo.
Airshow down this way last weekend.
I rode in that beast last April.  That was cool.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
That would be cool. I have only had a ride in one military machine with the exception of jeeps. When I was young and in the scouts the Army and Marines came to our scout show in several Sikorsky helicopters, and gave all the patrol leaders and SR patrol leaders a ride. That was awesome! I wish I could do that again sometime. It looked like this one. It was full of seats. The military personnel that was making sure all the rug rats were buckled up told us they could move jeeps and other transport vehicles in it if they took out the seats....that was still one of my favorite memories as a young teenager.

edit by the by I pulled that photo off the net...hehe I'm no photographer.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
That would be cool. I have only had a ride in one military machine with the exception of jeeps. When I was young and in the scouts the Army and Marines came to our scout show in several Sikorsky helicopters, and gave all the patrol leaders and SR patrol leaders a ride. That was awesome! I wish I could do that again sometime. It looked like this one. It was full of seats. The military personnel that was making sure all the rug rats were buckled up told us they could move jeeps and other transport vehicles in it if they took out the seats....that was still one of my favorite memories as a young teenager.

edit by the by I pulled that photo off the net...hehe I'm no photographer.
That's a 53, alright. Saw some of the earlier models across the pond. At that time, the crazy Jarheads were still mostly running 34's and 46's.
You don't need to be a photographer to throw an interesting one.
They're memories.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Now I am not sure of the model...I just know it looked like that one and was told it was a Sikorsky. It was a great time even though it lasted only a few minutes. I went and got a plastic put together model of the helicopter after the event and I had it for years but I don't know where it is now.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Now I am not sure of the model...I just know it looked like that one and was told it was a Sikorsky. It was a great time even though it lasted only a few minutes. I went and got a plastic put together model of the helicopter after the event and I had it for years but I don't know where it is now.
You got it right. It's a 53.  Hell of a bird. Never got to fly one.