Author Topic: The Great Outdoors  (Read 14581 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
The Great Outdoors
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
So what sort of outdoor, nature, water, etc. activities or hobbies do you enjoy?  Whether Hunting, Hiking, Helo-Skiing... regardless; lets hear about them  :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Re: The Great Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »
I like to do outdoor Photography.

And I like to go "fishing", meaning, sitting net to a lake or river and enjoying the scenery, while MrFlame tries to drown worms!!

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »
So what sort of outdoor, nature, water, etc. activities or hobbies do you enjoy?  Whether Hunting, Hiking, Helo-Skiing... regardless; lets hear about them  :cheersmate:

Sitting on the deck drinking a beer?

Actually, I did a fair amount of water skiing well into my late 30s. It is actually quite popular up north. A group of us used to go after work and water ski until dark. Good times!

Right now, doing anything anywhere near water is fine with me.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »

I'm very fond of camping, actually.  I own my own 3 person tent, and it's been used quite a bit (though in recent times, not so much  :( ).   I've gone camping in Key West and the North Georgia mountains (for Sky Club at Young Harris College).   I also camped out quite a bit as a Girl Scout, at an old GS camp ground that was supposedly haunted, as well as Barksdale Air Force Base.  :)

Only things I've been able to do in recent times is go wake-boarding behind the family ski-boat, and borrowing my uncle's jetski for excursions around Cross Lake in Shreveport.

There appears to be a trail in the woods behind my apartment.  I may go explore that in the fall, when it's not so hot.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
I am an avid fisherman and water sporter. I am okay at snow skiing considering I am a flat-lander. I try to hunt at least 2 times a year.

ETA: I "hike" also at least once a year, but, it is more along the lines of survival training.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:31:57 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »

Actually, I did a fair amount of water skiing well into my late 30s. It is actually quite popular up north. A group of us used to go after work and water ski until dark. Good times!

I like that too, Schade, although I never did it enough to get the hang of it. That and tubing. ditto the deck and beer thing. I'll try just about anything outside...just love being out when the weather is great.

I love hiking and have done that anyplace I've lived.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:07:05 AM »
Winter-Hockey when the lake freezes over,used to like to snowmobile as well. Spring/summer/fall-fishing,golf,drinking,tubing,boating,jetski gotta pack alot in here In The Enchanted Mitten during the warmer weather. It doesn't last too long! :-) :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »

I like that too, Schade, although I never did it enough to get the hang of it. That and tubing. ditto the deck and beer thing. I'll try just about anything outside...just love being out when the weather is great.

For a minute, I thought you were talking about drinking beer and I was like.... yeah right!  ::)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Winter-Hockey when the lake freezes over,used to like to snowmobile as well. Spring/summer/fall-fishing,golf,drinking,tubing,boating,jetski gotta pack alot in here In The Enchanted Mitten during the warmer weather. It doesn't last too long! :-) :cheersmate:

Nature boy, I expected something like running butt-naked through the great outdoors...  :naughty:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

Nature boy, I expected something like running butt-naked through the great outdoors...  :naughty:

*ahem*
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »

Only in winter and only with my trusted winter friend Absolut! :-)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »
Using Jetskis for target practice. Fishing or wasting bait...........whatever. boat riding..............oh yeah and drinkng beer on the deck or dock.......hell anywhere
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »

*ahem*

I take it you've tried it?  :-)

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »

We northerners are hearty stock. I have run through snow in barefeet in my nighty just because I can.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
We northerners are hearty stock. I have run through snow in barefeet in my nighty just because I can.

:picsneeded:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »

Really makes ya feel alive doesn't Schade? :-)....Or about to die! :-) :cheersmate:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »

Really makes ya feel alive doesn't Schade? :-)....Or about to die! :-) :cheersmate:

It feels good when you stop.  :lmao:

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »

Do you have a Polar Bear Club there in MINN? We have them here.....Those people are lunatics! :mental: :lmao:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »

Do you have a Polar Bear Club there in MINN? We have them here.....Those people are lunatics! :mental: :lmao:

Freaks. Hey, cheer me up in the Lounge....... ---->

Offline Taxman

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
I live for the outdoors.  I hunt, hike, enjoy outdoor photography, waterski, boat, snowmobile, camp...just about anything outdoors.  Being a northerner, I can really stand cold weather.  Shouldn't say this but I can be outside in a t-shirt to temps in the lower 40's.  In fact I hiked yesterday in lower 50's and was in a t-shirt all the time.  Not one bit cold. 

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
I live for the outdoors.  I hunt, hike, enjoy outdoor photography, waterski, boat, snowmobile, camp...just about anything outdoors.  Being a northerner, I can really stand cold weather.  Shouldn't say this but I can be outside in a t-shirt to temps in the lower 40's.  In fact I hiked yesterday in lower 50's and was in a t-shirt all the time.  Not one bit cold. 
hehehehehe....

Offline Taxman

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
hehehehehe....
It's true...I hiked last evening in the mountains the temp in my truck said 51 when I got back to it.  When I parked before taking the hike it was 62.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »

For a minute, I thought you were talking about drinking beer and I was like.... yeah right!  ::)

I didn't really...I think it's been about 15 years since I got shit-faced drunk and even then I only did that 3 or 4 times. I've just admitted what a goody two shoes I am. I'll go now.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
I didn't really...I think it's been about 15 years since I got shit-faced drunk and even then I only did that 3 or 4 times. I've just admitted what a goody two shoes I am. I'll go now.  :-)

Sissy! :angryvillagers:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:42 PM »

Sissy! :angryvillagers:

No, no...I just realized very early on how vulnerable I was to allow myself to get to that point. When male friends offered to 'change my clothes' when I puked on myself, I figured maybe it wasn't a good thing to be drunk to stupidity, female, and essentially alone to take care of myself.

Saves me a lot of carbs too.

I do enjoy a beer or two. I keep myself at tipsy though and don't push it with the hard stuff. That stuff will do my little 5'3" self in in record time. I'm inclined to get really trashed when something tastes good that I drink waaaay too much of it too fast.:uhsure: :drunksailor: :puke: