Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Recruiting
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »
I know most people don't like to talk recruiting.  But, dammit, I'm a Huricane fan.  That's our only bright spot right now.  How's your team doing?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DaSaintFan

Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
consider yourself lucky, SF...

My USM Boys have to now recruit with a brand new coach... (although I won't miss "mr. status quo"!)... and i think we got ranked about 89th in the nation.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
consider yourself lucky, SF...

My USM Boys have to now recruit with a brand new coach... (although I won't miss "mr. status quo"!)... and i think we got ranked about 89th in the nation.
I think y'all made a good hire.  Should translate into some offensive recruits anyway.

ESPN has "The U" ranked #1 recruiting class so far.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
We (Oklahoma) are doing well. 2 highly-recruited players, Jameel Owens and Stacy McGee, from Muskogee, OK, committed on last Tuesday.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:08:04 PM »
Pretty great news in Columbus.

More than our share of top 100 guys and the #1 overall prospect in the nation (QB Terrelle Pryor) is at least looking at us hard. (and there are a lot of high quality players yet to commit) But if we only get the guys we have lined up to this point... at least our O-line will be wicked good.
LEMMING'S TOP 100 FOOTBALL RECRUITS
http://www.cstv.com/recruiting/recruiting2008.html

Also, fwiw... file this under employee retention:
5 would be first day NFL draft picks are staying for one more year (talk about your unfinished buisness)

- RB Chris "Beanie" Wells
- LB James Laurinaitis  :cheersmate:
- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

WOW (what is Laurinaitis thinking?!)

Add it all up, and only minor humor intended, but I can see Ohio State losing another NC game. (big test comes early vs USC in Los Angeles)

Go Buckeye's!!
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline DaSaintFan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »

5 would be first day NFL draft picks are staying for one more year (talk about your unfinished buisness)

- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

Nuts.... I thought Laurinatis was a graduating senior?   I'd loved to have him in Saintly black and gold!

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

Nuts.... I thought Laurinatis was a graduating senior?   I'd loved to have him in Saintly black and gold!

You might get that guy yet but a year is a long wait. I just hope he stays healthy!

Back to the recruiting game... some Buckeye fan put a swell Terrelle Pryor highlight video up at You Tube. Now he HAS to pick tOSU right?!?  :hyper:

oops. Goofed on the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE-TH096R-8
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »

- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

You might get that guy yet but a year is a long wait. I just hope he stays healthy!

Back to the recruiting game... some Buckeye fan put a swell Terrelle Pryor highlight video up at You Tube. Now he HAS to pick tOSU right?!?  :hyper:

I think he's headed to Michigan.  With Coach Rod's spread offense.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »

- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

Don't say that! We got a YT video after all, lol. Serioulsy speaking, I hope it helps our cause that the guy wants to play basketball too. IMO that gives us an edge.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »

- CB Malcolm Jenkins
- LB Marcus Freeman
- OT Alex Boone

Don't say that! We got a YT video after all, lol. Serioulsy speaking, I hope it helps our cause that the guy wants to play basketball too. IMO that gives us an edge.
I think it's a long shot, but he has Duke on his list, too.  It don't get any better than that for basketball, plus they hired Cutcliffe as football coach.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:10:25 PM »
I think it's a long shot, but he has Duke on his list, too.  It don't get any better than that for basketball, plus they hired Cutcliffe as football coach.

True that. It's shocking but Duke is on the radar. Question is does he want to be Vince Young or Kevin Durant. (LOL, I know it's a tall order either way but the guy has hype)

tOSU will groom Pryor for the NFL in a way that U of M just can't. The Wolverines are losing their RB and WR's and OSU isn't. The O-line in Columbus will be something special and Tressel will put in enough plays for Pryor to shine while helping him as a drop back passer too. (play action to RB Wells!) Pro football coaches will want to see if Pryer can pass as well as he can run. I just don't see U-M matching the talent of OSU in both sports.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

True that. It's shocking but Duke is on the radar. Question is does he want to be Vince Young or Kevin Durant. (LOL, I know it's a tall order either way but the guy has hype)

tOSU will groom Pryor for the NFL in a way that U of M just can't. The Wolverines are losing their RB and WR's and OSU isn't. The O-line in Columbus will be something special and Tressel will put in enough plays for Pryor to shine while helping him as a drop back passer too. (play action to RB Wells!) Pro football coaches will want to see if Pryer can pass as well as he can run. I just don't see U-M matching the talent of OSU in both sports.
Who was the last QB OSU groomed into an NFL QB?  You don't have to be able to pass to be an NFL QB anymore (thanks Vince Young).  I see him going where he's gonna out up the numbers he wants.  Not saying they'll be a winner, but they will start preseason top 5 every year.

Michigan: Most over rated at the beginning of every season.
Ohio State: Most over rated at the end of every season. :evillaugh:

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »

Who was the last QB OSU groomed into an NFL QB?  You don't have to be able to pass to be an NFL QB anymore (thanks Vince Young).  I see him going where he's gonna out up the numbers he wants.  Not saying they'll be a winner, but they will start preseason top 5 every year.

Troy Smith. But I'll grant Ohio State with all of it's great tradition, has almost no tradition of generating NFL QB's. (CB's, LB's and linemen on both sides, sure... WR's also, to a lesser extent, and some RB's of note) They get QB's into the NFL too but not stars, or even starters, lol. Hell if tOSU had great QB's the last few years they woulden't keep getting their butts kicked in the NC game. (that's why we want this kid so bad)

Vince Young did both in college and will in the NFL IF Tenn gets any WR's worth a damn, lol. You do have to do both and I think Vick proved that. U-M can make Pryer a start, OSU can make him a champ and a pro in either sport. 

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »

Troy Smith. But I'll grant Ohio State with all of it's great tradition, has almost no tradition of generating NFL QB's. (CB's, LB's and linemen on both sides, sure... WR's also, to a lesser extent, and some RB's of note) They get QB's into the NFL too but not stars, or even starters, lol. Hell if tOSU had great QB's the last few years they woulden't keep getting their butts kicked in the NC game. (that's why we want this kid so bad)

Vince Young did both in college and will in the NFL IF Tenn gets any WR's worth a damn, lol. You do have to do both and I think Vick proved that. U-M can make Pryer a start, OSU can make him a champ and a pro in either sport. 

Tennessee won despite Young.  Everyone kept saying "he just wins".  No, a good ground game and a hell of a defense "just won".  Hell Texas had to dumb down the offense so he only had to read half the field.  That don't fly in the NFL.  See Vick.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »

Tennessee won despite Young.  Everyone kept saying "he just wins".  No, a good ground game and a hell of a defense "just won".  Hell Texas had to dumb down the offense so he only had to read half the field.  That don't fly in the NFL.  See Vick.

Hey! Wasen't I the one saying Pryor should go to OSU and learn to be a passer (behind an O-line and to top WR's) over U-M where he'd be running (very well) for his life!  :-)

BTW you were right about U-M being overrated for sure and maybe close on my Buckeyes. OSU got where they were by default but Hawaii did not belong in a BCS bowl. OSU should have been in the Rose bowl IMO. Their away/home matchup with USC will be fun to watch over the next two years.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
If I was Pryor, I wouldn't go to Michigan, because, there will be a greenhorn in there protecting his blindside with Jake Long going to the pros.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »

Hey! Wasen't I the one saying Pryor should go to OSU and learn to be a passer (behind an O-line and to top WR's) over U-M where he'd be running (very well) for his life!  :-)

BTW you were right about U-M being overrated for sure and maybe close on my Buckeyes. OSU got where they were by default but Hawaii did not belong in a BCS bowl. OSU should have been in the Rose bowl IMO. Their away/home matchup with USC will be fun to watch over the next two years.

I think OSU would be better for him.  But an 18 yr old will probably go where his talents will be showcased, instead of going where he'll become a better all around player.

I think Hawaii showed they didn't belong in a BCS bowl.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
If I was Pryor, I wouldn't go to Michigan, because, there will be a greenhorn in there protecting his blindside with Jake Long going to the pros.

Yeah, a run first QB does not need a lot of protection but an iffy passer does.

fwiw LSU, Oregon, and Penn State are all in the running too. 

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
All I know is The U has a kick ass class this year.  We got about a half dozen from the National Champion Northwestern Miami.  Plus the top linebacker in the nation.  I am a realist though, we're still a couple years from competing on the national level.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
All I know is The U has a kick ass class this year.  We got about a half dozen from the National Champion Northwestern Miami.  Plus the top linebacker in the nation.  I am a realist though, we're still a couple years from competing on the national level.

It will be nice to have you back. Your guys belong in the big time. I can't imagine a State having more talent than Florida has and has had. The recruiting competition must be NUTS.

On edit:

I watched some of the video's and Marcus Forston looks like the real deal. (Brown too)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:09:39 PM by ReardenSteel »

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

He is going to be indecisive with the ball his first few games, if he plays in the Big 10, because, the speed of the field will change so drastically from high school and even summer drills and practices.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 04:23:12 PM »

He is going to be indecisive with the ball his first few games, if he plays in the Big 10, because, the speed of the field will change so drastically from high school and even summer drills and practices.

True. I hope it works in the Buckeye's favor that they are on quarters and everyone else is on semesters. Meaning, if he graduates early he can be at spring practice in Columbus. No one else on his list has that option.

- Ayn Rand