Author Topic: Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion  (Read 3708 times)

Offline mrclose

Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Try to bear with me on this please.
(No One seems to know WTH I am trying to ask .. including Verizon!)

I have comcast for my tv broadcast.
I received my set top boxes today for FIOS tv.

Two months ago Verizon installed the outside box and battery backup for my internet and landline .. which I am now using.

THE question: Do I need to do a 'physical' disconnect of the comcast cable at the outside (comcast) box?

If I do, will I be able to run FIOS cable tv to the existing cables that are in my walls now .. the ones that comcast is broadcast through?

I am unclear on whether two signals (comcast and Verizon) are running over these inside cables right now?

The tech ran the line from an existing wall cable to my verizon modem but I am in the dark on whether that cable comes from the comcast box outside or from verizons ORT box?

In other words .. How will my tv signal be routed?

Do I just leave everything alone .. disconnect my comcast boxes and connect the fios boxes to the same cable outlets?

I told you that No one could understand my question!

Have I confused all of you too?

Thanks

BTW: The only thing Verizon told me was that I didn't need a tech to come out and sent the boxes by UPS!
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline mrclose

Re: Comcast to Verizon FIOS Confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
I have FIOS Internet and phone right now.
 The ORT interface has been running for months.

I ordered and received my FIOS boxes today.

Is the Fios TV going to run by disconnecting the comcast boxes from the in house cables and connecting the FIOS boxes to the same cables .. without my having to do anything else?

I know that I have to turn in and turn off comcast tomorrow but I want to know if FIOS will run over the same cables that comcast was using? :banghead:

Thanks

~ Anonymous

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
Contact Ferizon?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
It sounds like FIOS is converted to RF at the demarcation point (the outside box) or not. If it is converted at the demarcation point, Verizon should have disconnected you from the Comcast outside box and connected your house cable wiring to their equipment. Based on what you've said, Verizon has already disconnected you from the Comcast demarcation box. There may be a two way splitter in reverse connecting the two outside boxes to your house wiring. Your internet & phone run on frequencies not used by the TV signals.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:22:23 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
I have FIOS Internet and phone right now.
 The ORT interface has been running for months.

I ordered and received my FIOS boxes today.

Is the Fios TV going to run by disconnecting the comcast boxes from the in house cables and connecting the FIOS boxes to the same cables .. without my having to do anything else?

I know that I have to turn in and turn off comcast tomorrow but I want to know if FIOS will run over the same cables that comcast was using? :banghead:

Thanks

Frankly, that isn't your concern.

You paid for a service and it is up to the vendor to provide it.  Via hard-wire, satellite, Bluetooth, or carrier pigeon, it doesn't matter so long as you get what you asked for.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »
A picture of the two boxes and the house wiring connection would be really nice (all on the outside)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mrclose

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:20:17 PM »
Frankly, that isn't your concern.

You paid for a service and it is up to the vendor to provide it.  Via hard-wire, satellite, Bluetooth, or carrier pigeon, it doesn't matter so long as you get what you asked for.

They told me that I didn't need a tech and sent the boxes UPS.

This is the Hardest question that I have ever had to try and explain!

All of my confusion comes from the fact that I have FIOS in my man cave.

The tech used an existing cable in the wall to my FIOS modem.

This was after he installed the ONT outside, battery backup for the phone and then went into the attic .. to do something?

Now, I don't know if I only have FIOS in that (man cave) room and all of the other in wall cables can only run comcast?

I am running comcast tv right now from the rooms that I want to run FIOS tomorrow.

I just don't know if when I cancel comcast tomorrow and activate FIOS .. will it run over those existing cables without me having to do anything else.

Unplug comcast boxes .. plug in FIOS?

~ Anonymous

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
Took the modem from the man cave and connected it to the cable in one of the rooms where I want FIOS TV.

Power on .. no WAN which would indicate .. no FIOS in that room!

Argued with a 'tech' on the phone who told me I need new tv terminals because FIOS doesn't run over coax!

I said, "Your Nuts" .. Fios DOES run over coax, the same coax that I was running comcast on!
The ONT box converts the signal.

I also told him that he better send someone to pick up the boxes they sent since .. They Have Coax terminals on the back!

He quickly transfered me and a tech will be out tomorrow!

I KNEW that this wasn't going to be a smooth transition!

~ Anonymous

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »
He probably installed a splitter in reverse connecting both systems or isolated your "man cave" from the Comcast system. Yeah, they shouldn't rely on a subscriber to do their own installs because not everything is always straightforward. fortunately, I have some pretty good cable TV experience, all the way from installer to Head End Tech.