Author Topic: who knows anything about Windows Vista?  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
who knows anything about Windows Vista?
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

I brought a laptop home tonight to check it out.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: who knows anything about Windows Vista?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

It can be a real PITA if you need to run software not designed for Vista.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »

yeah, bill gates really is satan, ain't he?

hang on, I am going to bring my vista laptop online in a second.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
Here is your answer: http://blip.tv/file/340692
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »
ROFL! That's hilarious!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »

Wait until you try to delete a file and Vista say you don't have authority.  You start yelling at it "I am the only ****ing user!!!  I am the Administrator! WTF do you mean I don't have authority?  If not then who the **** does have authority?  ****ing Bill Gates?????" Then your laptop will go flying across the room.

If you don't cuss now, you will after 1 day working against with Vista. 

I hate it with a visceral passion.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 07:56:39 PM »

jeez.  vista IS a pain in the ass.  I don't like it at all.  but I had other problems playing around with it.

I added the MAC address of the Vista box to my wireless router today, and the router totally crapped out.  none of the computers would talk.  I set the router back to factory defaults, and I still couldn't connect via the wireless.  it wouldn't even assign an IP.

finally, I fixed connected my Win2K laptop directly to the cable modem, and did an IPCONFIG/RENEW.  I finally got an IP that way, and then my wireless would connect.  and after that the vista box would connect wirelessly.

odd.  now I have to rebuild all of my wireless settings.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »

Wait until you try to delete a file and Vista say you don't have authority.  You start yelling at it "I am the only ****ing user!!!  I am the Administrator! WTF do you mean I don't have authority?  If not then who the **** does have authority?  ****ing Bill Gates?????" Then your laptop will go flying across the room.

I am downgrading this puppy to XP tomorrow. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »

:rofl:  We hates it, we does. 

Slow, clumsy, awkward.  Paranoid.  It's an updated equivalent of Windows ME.

I remember trying to use the original release of XP.  Nothing worked then, either.  I avoided that until SP2 was released -- now I'm relatively happy.  I may be making the Linux switch as soon as I have some time to dedicate to it. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 09:43:10 PM »

Wait until you try to delete a file and Vista say you don't have authority.  You start yelling at it "I am the only ******* user!!!  I am the Administrator! WTF do you mean I don't have authority?  If not then who the **** does have authority?  ******* Bill Gates?????" Then your laptop will go flying across the room.

I am UPgrading this puppy to XP tomorrow. :-)
fixt.   :-)

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »

I remember trying to use the original release of XP.  Nothing worked then, either.  I avoided that until SP2 was released -- now I'm relatively happy.  I may be making the Linux switch as soon as I have some time to dedicate to it. 

I am running Vista Ultimate on a high-end Alienware laptop and it runs pretty good. I had to disable the account verification thing where it asks that "are you sure" shit with every mouse click. You can search the Internet for the procedure to access the REAL administrator account and login as the admin. One thing that DID impress me is Vista's wireless connectivity. I travel a lot and in every airport, coffee shop, and hotel connecting to their wireless systems is a matter of opening the wireless connection window, selecting the detected wireless network, verifying it as a public network and I am connected.
As for Linux, I have been a long time DOS/Windows user but recently switched one computer to Ubuntu running the Beryl desktop interface and it is impressing. You need a fairly powerful video card though and will have to use open source drivers for it.
Check out the comparison between Vista and Ubuntu running Beryl:

[youtube=425,350]xC5uEe5OzNQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:29:34 AM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

Yup that just about sums it up.

Seriously WE...you should step up to the better system:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »

Yup that just about sums it up.

Seriously WE...you should step up to the better system:

I was told that men had to turn their penises in if they ever bought a mac. :-)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

All I will say in response to that is that I have six kids.  :-)

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »

All I will say in response to that is that I have six kids.  :-)

huh?  something's wrong . . . . still got all your fingers? :???:

:-)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 05:58:22 AM »

huh?  something's wrong . . . . still got all your fingers? :???:

:-)

Nope.  everything is still intact  :naughty:

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »

I am running Vista Ultimate on a high-end Alienware laptop and it runs pretty good. I had to disable the account verification thing where it asks that "are you sure" shit with every mouse click. You can search the Internet for the procedure to access the REAL administrator account and login as the admin. One thing that DID impress me is Vista's wireless connectivity. I travel a lot and in every airport, coffee shop, and hotel connecting to their wireless systems is a matter of opening the wireless connection window, selecting the detected wireless network, verifying it as a public network and I am connected.
As for Linux, I have been a long time DOS/Windows user but recently switched one computer to Ubuntu running the Beryl desktop interface and it is impressing. You need a fairly powerful video card though and will have to use open source drivers for it.
Check out the comparison between Vista and Ubuntu running Beryl:

[youtube=425,350]xC5uEe5OzNQ[/youtube]

The whole thing about administrative access being a pain in the ass wouldn't be a problem if users (and yes, even admins) weren't retarded. 

Ever since I can remember, way back in my formative years using Windows NT 3.51, standard procedure was to log in with user privileges for run-of-the-mill computing, and only log in as an administrator when you need to for some specific purpose.  This is a very easy, very basic security measure, one that Microsoft has strongly suggested for the lifespan of the NT product line.

Vista's Administrative Access Control, or whatever the official name for it is, forces the user to do this, but also makes it easier by eliminating the logoff/logon procedure or the necessity of assigning administrative access to specific apps.  Yes, it's a pain-in-the-ass if you're used to being always logged in as an administrator.  But then, you've always been doing it wrong.

This idea of security isn't Microsoft-specific either.  UNIX/Linux admins are (at least theoretically) not supposed to be logged in as root all the time, rather they get one-time root access for those tasks where it's required.  Plenty of lazy admins avoid this, sure, but the principle is sound.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
I've been using XP since before it was released. I like XP very much. It has it's flaws, but it's been WAY better than previous versions of Winblows. My experience with Vista is somewhat limited, but what little I experienced was painful.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »
I've been using XP since before it was released. I like XP very much. It has it's flaws, but it's been WAY better than previous versions of Winblows. My experience with Vista is somewhat limited, but what little I experienced was painful.

Unless you have an up-to-date machine (dual-core processors, at least 2gb RAM), Vista is downright awful to use on a daily basis.  Beyond that, it's basically XP with a new GUI.