Author Topic: Ketchup... the elusive mystery  (Read 29699 times)

Offline Dori

Re: Ketchup... the elusive mystery
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
I love burgers and hotdogs and so the more garlic the better!! When I want some BBQ sauce I bug my friend Keith. His company makes a yummy garlicky blend of spices, onions, and herbs, in a thick tomato base. I love when my money goes to someone with similar political beliefs.  :popcorn:

Homemade BBQ sauce should be easy to make.  I make good BBQ beans.   Well I like them anyway.   :-) 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »
I love those too!  :-)

Getting older is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
I just love to cook.  My wife thinks I should be a chef, but if I did it all day long, I'd learn to hate it.
That's usually how it works.  I used to enjoy computers... now I merely tolerate them. :lmao:

Cooking for a living stinks.  You don't get to be a 'chef' overnight and usually have to work your way up from the bottom.  I met a lot of people that went to culinary school and found out what it's like to actually work in a restaurant after they spent all that money.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »
That's usually how it works.  I used to enjoy computers... now I merely tolerate them. :lmao:

Cooking for a living stinks.  You don't get to be a 'chef' overnight and usually have to work your way up from the bottom.  I met a lot of people that went to culinary school and found out what it's like to actually work in a restaurant after they spent all that money.
I have no formal or informal training.  In fact, my Mom never helped me.  My Grandmother taught me biscuits.  That is it.  The rest, I learned by doing.

For Firekrakka:

3 pounds ground brisket or chuck
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 kaiser or onion buns, split
    8 thin slices Swiss cheese
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce
    Onion (raw and grilled)
    Sauteed shrooms
    Mayo(I add horseradish to mine)
    Dijon
    1/2 pound thin sliced Pastrami, heated through.
    1 pound bacon of choice, fried.

Preparation

1. In a large bowl, lightly season ground meat with salt and pepper if you like and mix in gently with your hands. To shape the burgers, take about 1/8 of meat and form it into a meatball; then flatten it a between your hands until it's about 3/4 in. thick. Turn the patty on your palm while firming up its edges with the thumb and forefingers of your other hand (your goal is to get rid of a crumbly edge). Press a small dent in the middle.  Grilled burgers tend to swell in the middle.  Repeat with remaining meat. Let burgers rest at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
    2. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat Wipe grate with oil.
    3. Sprinkle burgers with salt and pepper (especially if you chose not to season the meat in Step 1). Grill burgers 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, for rare, (For a medium to well-done burger, cook over medium-high heat (about 450°) for 10 minutes total; topping with cheese during the final minute or two.
    4. Transfer burgers to a plate. Clean grate with oiled paper towels. Toast buns on grill 1 minute.   
Build burgers to taste.   Use bacon and/or pastrami for a new take on bacon burgers.

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
Yum!!! Thanks!!  :cheersmate:

Growing up is optional

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »
Yum!!! Thanks!!  :cheersmate:
No problem.  One of my personal favorites, the Pastrami Burger.    I also  make a fantastic teriyaki burger.   The trick to any burger is high heat, thinner in the middle, never press, and flip only once.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
No problem.  One of my personal favorites, the Pastrami Burger.    I also  make a fantastic teriyaki burger.   The trick to any burger is high heat, thinner in the middle, never press, and flip only once.

There's a certain local burger chain in the Salt Lake City area -- Crown Burgers is the name -- that does these. They're monsters and they're decadent.

You need six napkins, not just one.

This was the place where I learned about "fry sauce." Fry sauce is not much more than a mixture of ketchup and mayo -- maybe some onion and garlic powder, but that's it.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
There's a certain local burger chain in the Salt Lake City area -- Crown Burgers is the name -- that does these. They're monsters and they're decadent.

You need six napkins, not just one.

This was the place where I learned about "fry sauce." Fry sauce is not much more than a mixture of ketchup and mayo -- maybe some onion and garlic powder, but that's it.

Some put spices in and call it Southwest Sauce.  Some put ginger in it and call it Shrimp Sauce.  Ronald McDonald calls it Secret Sauce.

My Mom calls it Thousand Island Dressing.

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »

Yum!! The best burgers I ever had was Big Bubba Buck's Belly Bustin' Bliss in Munfordville, KY. Tastes so good it'll make you smack your mama. I have no doubt yours is better though.  :-)

Growing up is optional

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
Some put spices in and call it Southwest Sauce.  Some put ginger in it and call it Shrimp Sauce.  Ronald McDonald calls it Secret Sauce.

My Mom calls it Thousand Island Dressing.

Dunno about the TI dressing. Any I've ever seen has some lumps of what looks like pickle relish in it. Tiny, small little pieces. But pickle relish. Might even be dill, but I doubt it. TI dressing is rather sweet.

Offline Dori

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
Dunno about the TI dressing. Any I've ever seen has some lumps of what looks like pickle relish in it. Tiny, small little pieces. But pickle relish. Might even be dill, but I doubt it. TI dressing is rather sweet.

If you eat thousand island dressing, it's easy to make with ketchup and mayo.   You can also add sweet relish, or any other thing you want to it.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Karin

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
I don't know how people eat TI dressing on a lettuce-type salad.  Seems gunky.  I only like it on Reubens, and then I really like it.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
I don't know how people eat TI dressing on a lettuce-type salad.  Seems gunky.  I only like it on Reubens, and then I really like it.

I agree. TI seems to defeat the purpose of eating something light and light on the palate.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
For salad dressing, it's gotta be TI. For Reuben sandwiches, ONLY BLEU CHEESE!

End of discussion..........
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Dori

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »
TI seems to defeat the purpose of eating something light and light on the palate.

I grew up eating lettuce wedges with TI.  I also do my worst calorie damage with lots of dressings, like blue cheese and ranch.