Author Topic: 1981 Honda CB750C Custom  (Read 20910 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
1981 Honda CB750C Custom
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:31:50 PM »

It's not the cleanest bike in the world, but it's mine. 

Tomorrow after work, I have to find a trickle charger for the battery and I will probably remove the brake master cylinder for rebuilding.  After that will be to trace and remove the Christmas tree of lights the previous owner attached to the electrical system and to inspect the rest of the bike for road-worthiness.  I'll have to see if I can put it up on a stand without killing myself in the process.

Anyone who can find a pair of tank emblems for it, please let me know.  Pretty please?  You have no idea how hard it is to find twenty-year old trim.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:50:14 PM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

Re: 1981 Honda CB750C Custom
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
Looks like that project will keep you busy for awhile.

Congrats on it finally arriving!
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:03:19 PM »
I'm gonna replace those screw covers on the fairing with spikes or some shit like that.  :-)

That seat looks so sad.  :(  Poor seat.  Needs a vinyl repair kit.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
Glad to see it finally got delivered.   :cheersmate:   Looks great, despite the problems.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
Anyone who can find a pair of tank emblems for it, please let me know.  Pretty please?  You have no idea how hard it is to find twenty-year old trim.  Ugh.

I found them once, you are on your own.  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
Got all those crappy lights pulled off.  It looks like he wired them into the horn which is connected to the lights and turn signals.    The lights were unplugged from the fuse box.  I won't be able to check it until I get the battery charged up.

Anybody know where I should dispose of the gasoline?  I'm not sure how much is still in the tank or the carburetors.  I suppose I could just take it to the gravel lot across the street and burn it.  :p

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »
Got all those crappy lights pulled off.  It looks like he wired them into the horn which is connected to the lights and turn signals.    The lights were unplugged from the fuse box.  I won't be able to check it until I get the battery charged up.

Anybody know where I should dispose of the gasoline?  I'm not sure how much is still in the tank or the carburetors.  I suppose I could just take it to the gravel lot across the street and burn it.  :p

The best way to get rid of old gas is to use it.  You can mix it in your gas tank with plenty of "new" gas.  If you think it's got metal or rust in it, run it through a filter first. 

Otherwise, contact your local city.  I know here we have a special place where we can drop of any hazardous waste.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »
So it's okay to mix it with fresh gas?  They rebuilt the carburetors for the guy last June. I'm guessing there's not much in the tank if they had to take them off.  Today was a success.  Got the seat taped up with some black tape -- looks good enough for me.  It blended in perfectly.  Got the battery on a trickle charger right now and I picked up the goo for an oil change and brake job.  Brake pads look good, so I'm going to bleed them tomorrow.   

Other than the lights and horn, I'll have this thing running by Wednesday.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
So it's okay to mix it with fresh gas?  They rebuilt the carburetors for the guy last June. I'm guessing there's not much in the tank if they had to take them off.  Today was a success.  Got the seat taped up with some black tape -- looks good enough for me.  It blended in perfectly.  Got the battery on a trickle charger right now and I picked up the goo for an oil change and brake job.  Brake pads look good, so I'm going to bleed them tomorrow.   

Other than the lights and horn, I'll have this thing running by Wednesday.

Yeah, I checked online before posting.  Just make sure it's diluted well with new gas and it should be fine. 

Stink Eye

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »
So it's okay to mix it with fresh gas? 

No. Not in your bike.

Don't take the chance of "gumming up" the rebuilt carbs.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

No. Not in your bike.

That's what I was thinking.  I really don't want to take that chance. 

I broke one of the side covers taking it off.   :bawl:

I did manage to tape it back together.  I'm not going to worry about it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
I'm going to be a one-note borefest until I get to ride this thing.  So, here's another picture:

I might post another picture of the taped-up seat.  It actually looks pretty nice.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »
I'm going to be a one-note borefest until I get to ride this thing.  So, here's another picture:

I might post another picture of the taped-up seat.  It actually looks pretty nice.

It cleaned up really nice!

Looking good.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »

No. Not in your bike.

I think you can think of some ways to get rid of the old fuel.  :naughty: The 4th of July is just around the corner!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »

No. Not in your bike.

I think you can think of some ways to get rid of the old fuel.  :naughty: The 4th of July is just around the corner!

I don't want some asshole neighbor calling the police on me. :whatever:

I'll dump it in the gravel lot across the street.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »
My barber likes to rebuild old Hondas. He strips them down and replaces or repairs and cleans every part on them. Drives it to his shop and when someone offers him enough money he sells it and starts on another project. The dude is one of those cross country iron bucket award freaks. He is planning one to AK.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 01:10:15 AM »
I wish I was that good.  It's been over ten years since I had a motorcycle, and I've forgotten almost everything I learned.  The stupid battery had an "extension" cable connecting the positive terminal to the starter solenoid.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »
Nice bike. My first one was a 74' 750 "K", much different than the model you have. Then I bought a 81' Yamaha Seca 900 new in 86' (talk about NOS!) It was like going from a Volkswagen to a Ferrari.  :bolt:
I sold that in 96' and haven't ridden since. With gas prices the way they are I'm thinking about getting another bike.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
IT'S ALIVE! :hyper:

Got the bike running.  Put in fresh gas and installed the fully-charged battery.  Something odd - the starter will still crank w/ the starter switch in the 'OFF' position.  I tried to start it with the switch in the 'OFF' position and the fuel valve closed. 

:whatever:

Opened the fuel valve, turned the ignition switch to the 'ON' position, and opened the choke.

*sputter* *sputter* VROOOM!!!!!!!

It was only runnig with the choke and/or throttle open.  Close one or both and the thing eventually slowed down and died.  I found the idle speed screw and turned it until the bike idled at 1000 rpm.  Viola!  I bought some 1/4" fuel line from the hardware store and replaced some of the more corroded fuel lines.  I bought five feet of tubing.  I'm hoping that's enough to eventually replace all of it.

The next step is to rebuild this crusty thing so that I actually have brakes to stop with.  Unfortunately, that window isn't replaceable so I have to buy an entirely new body, but it's only $30 with shipping.  Honda used the same master cylinder for nearly a decade on dozens of models.  After that, it's just a matter of dropping in the new piston and bleeeding the front brakes. 

Still have to get the bike titled, tagged, and registered.  Yay, bureaucracy. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
Congrats Chris  :cheersmate:  While you're replacing the brakes, you might want to consider replacing the brake lines also.

They hydraulic brake line?  I can't realy tell what kind of condition its in because its wrapped in plastic.  It looks okay.  The rear drums definitely need new cables.  I'll worry about that tomorrow after I read up on it.  I'm taking this a tiny step at a time.  Working at 6am really doesn't help because I'm too tired to care about anything by the time I get home.

The guy I sit next to at work thinks I have the patience of a saint.  "Got that bike runnin' yet?"  "Nope."  Of course, this is the dude with a H-D 1200 Sportster sitting in his parent's garage while he complains about his 1-hour commute into town.  :p

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
this is the dude with a H-D 1200 Sportster sitting in his parent's garage while he complains about his 1-hour commute into town. 

Same kind of guys that think it's "normal" to pay $2000 for a cyl bore job (only 2 cyl mind you) because it's a HD.  :mental: Probably dosen't want to wear it out.  :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
It needs a little more work.  The clutch cable is very stiff and I'm wondering if it has the original spark plugs (at 20,000 miles).  They should probably be changed.  I think the previous owner put in a larger jet somewhere, because this thing comes off idle like a monster.  I found some extra needle jets and springs in the tool compartment.  I cleaned out the carbs with some regular carb cleaner, Seafoam for the gas tank, and replaced most of the rubber hoses.  It runs great but I haven't had a chance to ride it.  It still needs brakes. 

I found a fix that another bike shop is using for their older and vintage master cylinders.  What this shop was doing was replacing the master cylinder window with a piece of same-sized watch crystal and JB Weld.  They said they had done about 50 of them with no problems.  I ordered a new crystal to replace the window but for some reason, it has not been delivered. I was just thinking that I need to call them in the morning.  Still have a couple small wiring issues to deal with.  The left-side turn signal does not blink.  Other than that I think everything works.  Once I get the brakes working, I'll be able to get this thing registered and on the road.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:51 PM »
Hooray for JB Weld.

I picked up a 17mm watch crystal.  I'm glad I took the m/c body with me because I had to have the crystal sanded down to fit.  Mixed up some JB Weld, lined the inside of the window opening and the outside seam.  It looks like a kindergarten art project, but I think it worked.  I'll find out in 24 hours.

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
Gaaaarghh!!  :maddernhell:

okay, I feel better now. 

Old piston is out.  Finally. 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
Okay, I'm glad I took a picture of that because I just dropped the whole thing on the floor. :rofl: