Author Topic: Prufrock's Lair  (Read 10951 times)

Offline Rawlings

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
  • Banned
Prufrock's Lair
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
From the feet of my feet to the feet of your doorstep. . . .

News, science, religion, politics, culture, poetry or whatever.

http://michaeldavidrawlings1.blogspot.com/
Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains on their own appetites. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there is without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.  —Edmund Burke

Offline Rawlings

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
  • Banned
Re: Prufrock's Lair
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »
The "New Math" of American History and the Unobscured Truth
By Michael David Rawlings

Virtually all leftists and the occasional libertarian confound the history of America's cultural-political heritage. For many, their ignorance is a function of a deep-seated prejudice against religion in general and especially against the notion that the tenets of Judeo-Christianity played some role in the articulation of the Republic's founding.

Like many leftists, lots of libertarians are "freethinkers." That is to say, they're atheists (See also "Objectivism:   The Uninspired Religion of 'Reason' ".).  Hence, there is a strain of libertarianism that like the contagious rot of progressivism is wont to go on about the supposed primacy of the democratic theory of Classical Greece or of the monolithic repudiation of religion in the thought of the Enlightenment. My favorite red herring along this line is something or another about the Founders and the naturalistic, nonthreatening religion of Deism.

The much ado over the fact that many of the Founders were Deists is about nothing. First, most of them weren't. Second, it's the sociopolitical principles extrapolated from the Judeo-Christian moral tradition that matter. Both the Deist and the Christian of the Anglo-American Enlightenment embraced them. —Michael David Rawlings, "Abortion on Demand, Homosexual "Marriage": what will they think of next?"

The salient, recurring theme in all of this: only "benighted Christians" actually believe that Judeo-Christianity significantly influenced the development of democratic political theory. [strike]God[/strike] Darwin forbid that the most gloriously prolific system of thought in world history might have had something to do with it!

Some months ago I received a private message from a self-described atheist-libertarian who apprised me of the "pronounced secularism and free, antireligious thought of the Enlightenment", which informed "the philosophy of government instituted by the Founders of our Republic." He was reacting to a piece I had posted on this blog a few days earlier about the connection between Judeo-Christianity and the governing philosophy of the United States. It was a terse message, consisting of his unsubstantiated claim and the suggestion that I had been dropped on my head as a child.

In response (before I showed him that his understanding of the Enlightenment was overly simplistic and biased), I told him that to the best of my knowledge I had not been dropped on my head as a child, but had crashed into a pole while riding my bicycle at a high rate of speed as a child, that my head had in fact collided with the pole, that this happened back in the day when kids didn't wear protective gear. Then asked, "Does that count?"

I was recently reminded of this exchange and, thinking that my response might be edifying, decided to post it on my blog.

The rest of my response reads. . . .

Your libertarianism of the Randian variety is showing.

The predominant sociopolitical theory of the Anglo-American Enlightenment was not antagonistic to religion. It eschewed the conflation of religion and government: state churches. Hence, the separation of church and state. The objective was not to banish or suppress religion. On the contrary, the objective, especially in America, was to encourage religion and protect religious freedom. It was the model of separation espoused by the rabid secularists of the Continental European Enlightenment (See "The Fuzz in Descartes' Belly Button".), particularly that of the French revolutionists, that was hostile to religion, as the Jacobin's scheme of separation was essentially the same as that imposed in the former Soviet Union. However, if you're referring to the general epistemology of the British Enlightenment and its influences on American thought and culture, that's a different matter altogether, which I will touch on momentarily.

You would do well to listen and learn. I'm not peddling mere opinion off the top of my head. I'm well-versed in the history of ideas and events of the Western world. If you're still operating under the impression of the trash that passes for history in the textbooks of the schools usurped by lefty, that is, when the public education system still bothered to teach America's heritage . . . stop! Go back and read the original works of the authors of the Anglo-American Enlightenment.

http://michaeldavidrawlings1.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-new-math-of-american-history-and.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:25:24 PM by Rawlings »
Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains on their own appetites. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there is without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.  —Edmund Burke

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Prufrock's Lair
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
Dates of military service?

MOS?

Duty stations?

You can run, but you can't hide.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012