Author Topic: time outs  (Read 2737 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
time outs
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »
I have a question, probably a stupid one, but unlike Pedro Picasso on Skins's island, I don't claim to be an expert in everything.

Once in a while I get a message, when refreshing this site, about the site taking too long to reply.

I used to think that was probably a problem with the site itself.

However, the past few weeks, when I've gotten that message, I've immediately opened Outlook Express e-mail, to see if it delivers new mail at the same time (actually, a couple of seconds later).

Since this site is taking "too long" to reply, and COINCIDENTALLY at the same time Outlook Express is "connecting" during an inordinate amount of time, this means the problem is with my internet service provider, right?  (After Outlook Express finally connects, I immediately come back here, and this place is connected too.)

It's not a big problem or even a moderate problem or a mild problem, but I'm trying to figure out the source of this.

I am on wireless, on the eastern slope of the Sandhills in Nebraska.

The internet service provider is served from southern Minnesota and western Utah, if I understand things correctly; whenever there's climatic disturbances in those two places, is when the "problem" usually occurs.

And so when conservativecave is taking too long to reply, and COINCIDENTALLY at the same time Outlook Express is taking too long to connect, that problem's with the internet connection and not with this site, right?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: time outs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
if your connection to CC is "timing out" at the same time as your email, then the problem is most probably your internet connection.  It could be anything from your ISP to your wireless router.  another test would be to see if other sites, say, FR,  time out at the same time that CC does.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: time outs
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »
if your connection to CC is "timing out" at the same time as your email, then the problem is most probably your internet connection.  It could be anything from your ISP to your wireless router.  another test would be to see if other sites, say, FR,  time out at the same time that CC does.

They do.  At the same time.

Okay, so then I have to blame it on the weather in southern Minnesota and western Utah, when that happens.

I thought this was the case, but wished confirmation.
apres moi, le deluge