Author Topic: Shutdowns have become a problem!  (Read 3004 times)

Offline mrclose

Shutdowns have become a problem!
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
Warning The following contains it's share of whining and lots of rambling!

Begin Ramblings--->I have been having problems with my pc pertaining to sleep mode and regular shutdowns.

The pc is a Vista 64BIT home professional.

Sometimes, I will put my pc in sleep mode, sometimes I allow it to sleep automatically.

Sometimes I'll do a normal power off.

Regardless of How it goes to sleep or when I power off .. the monitor will shut off but the pc itself will continue to run and run and run!<--Whine

Nothing I do will bring the monitor back up to see what is going on.<--Whine

I have to do a hard power off (hold down the power button) to shut the pc down.<--Whine

Upon restart I always get a long loading screen 'until' the message "Your computer could not start normally, would you like to do a restore"?

After running in restore mode for twenty minuets 'another' message comes up which reads:

The exception unknown software (Oxc0000005) exception occurred in the application location OX10011311

click okay to terminate the program

(In the above .. I can't be sure if those are zeros or letters)

After all this .. the pc will finally get to the welcome screen.<---Whine

Now what comes next makes me think that the problem is in my Comodo internet security premium software!

This problem started around the time I installed the Comodo software .. weeks ago.

Every time I go through the above steps and terminate the unknown software and return to the desktop .. I get the message that my pc might be at risk (Comodo message) and I have to update the Signature base. Everytime!<--Whine

Could that above unknown software be part of the Comodo software which in turn causes the problem?

If so .. Maybe I should get rid of Comodo 'because' .. All I am doing is reloading the problematic unknown software (Signature definitions)?

The problem doesn't happen All the time but enough that I want to Whine a lot about it!

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!/<--Whine /Rambling
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline CG6468

Re: Shutdowns have become a problem!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
Vista has had its problems. Perhaps an upgrade to WIN7 would help? Not WIN8, though.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
The persistent power-on state is an issue with Win7 as well. 

You're better off switching to a basic on/off power plan.  I use Power Source Optimized on the laptops at work... it has its own sleep settings.  I run my home computer at Maximized Performance and shut it off when I'm done.  Granted, I have a solid-state drive that only takes six seconds to boot to the desktop, but we can't all be winners.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
If you're having issues with Windows between the login screen and the desktop, try running Disk Cleanup to remove cached system files.  Disable Comodo until you find out what's wrong with the rest of your computer.  You can disable the Comodo startup using the msconfig command.

My next recommendation is to run a bit-level hardware scan of the disk to make sure it's in good condition.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:09:03 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »
I am not sure why you would want to let a desktop use sleep. I never let my desktop sleep or hibernate. in fact the only time it gets turned off is during a power failure. The monitor goes dark after a period of non use but that is about it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:51 AM »
I am not sure why you would want to let a desktop use sleep. I never let my desktop sleep or hibernate. in fact the only time it gets turned off is during a power failure. The monitor goes dark after a period of non use but that is about it.
Because I don't trust the cooling fans to run forever?

What happens if the fans shut down while you are sleeping?
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Fans won't just arbitrarily shut down. They generally just fail. Usually, one can hear that coming. I, too, NEVER use sleep mode. I've ALWAYS had problems with it. If you're gonna do anything, just do a shutdown for the night. I have my PC on an uninterruptable power supply just because a brown out killed two of my PCs a few years ago. Nowadays, I just leave my PC on 24/7 unless I get a power outage. Then, I'll just shut down my pc when the UPS gets so low. (5 mins or less remaining)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson