Author Topic: First Successful Gentoo Install after all these years  (Read 8924 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
First Successful Gentoo Install after all these years
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
Well today I finally got one of my old boxes to lite a monitor with a Gentoo fluxbox desktop. I have been compiling and installing from source as you have to do with Gentoo, for a week now. It has been a learning experience even though I am used to UNIX,Ubuntu and Slackware. I have built a Linux from scratch box years ago but that isn't Gentoo, Gentoo is a different animal but I am looking forward to trying it out and seeing what the buzz is all about in the 133t club.

edit sp
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:38:18 PM by biersmythe »
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: First Successful Gentoo Install after all these years
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Today I got the system to where it boots with a graphical log in and a file manager OS i can get around without having to use the command line if I want to hehe. All that is left is the "visual" mods. It is a total functional OS at the moment so we will see where this goes from here.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »
Today I got the system to where it boots with a graphical log in and a file manager OS i can get around without having to use the command line if I want to hehe. All that is left is the "visual" mods. It is a total functional OS at the moment so we will see where this goes from here.
Let the rest of us know when you finish building your log cabin. We'll come for a visit. :tongue:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
Let the rest of us know when you finish building your log cabin. We'll come for a visit. :tongue:

:tongue: back at ya.....maybe you can stay at the cabin if the Fairlane will drive ya here  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
You're on.

I've given up on getting Linux to run reliably.  I don't have that kind of patience anymore.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Every Linix box i have runs more reliably than they did when I wiped that Redmond trash off them, or the ones I have built have more up time than they did with the windoze shite. So dont know what to tell ya.... :popcorn:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
What's a Gentoo ****box?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
What's a Gentoo ****box?

Gentoo is a distribution of the Linix family of operating systems. The Linux Kernel was originally developed by Linus Torvalds back in the early 90's cause he wanted to have a free version of UNIX more or less. It is very sable but requires the user to know what he is doing...as the saying goes "UNIX IS a user friendly operating system...it is just particular who it is friendly to." Linux distributions have been around sense the mid 90s ish. Your grandson should know a bit about them you can ask him to show you some on the net ...if not I will be more than happy to elaborate. It is a MUCH diffrent world than you are used to but in my opinion a MUCH BETTER WORLD.....

Offline CG6468

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the 'splanation!

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Your welcome sir if you have any other curiosity's of it let me know.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
CG6468 By the way I think It was you a few ago that was asking about Macs..their file system is now based on a "UNIX Like" layout since OS 10 if I recall.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
Your welcome sir if you have any other curiosity's of it let me know.

I believe I've seen it discussed here, but I never pulled the trigger. Now I'm TFO to change too much in my computer exercises.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
CG6468 By the way I think It was you a few ago that was asking about Macs..their file system is now based on a "UNIX Like" layout since OS 10 if I recall.

Thank you. I'm still getting used to my MACMini. Learning curves, ya know.....

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »
Thank you. I'm still getting used to my MACMini. Learning curves, ya know.....

Yes "learning curves" as you say keeps us on our toes.... I haven't been on the machine you own as of yet but I'm sure you will like it once the "curve" has straightened out. hehe

Offline CG6468

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
Yes "learning curves" as you say keeps us on our toes.... I haven't been on the machine you own as of yet but I'm sure you will like it once the "curve" has straightened out. hehe

Mine's the MACMini. It's about 7.5" x 7" x 1" high, and it fits UNDER my LG monitor! MAC MINI /2,3/2X4G/1TB 0 FUSION, SERIAL co7xfly2dy3h, PART NO. ZONP0001S, MACMINI Model A1347, 1.11 T hard drive.

About all I don't like about it is that it has very few USB ports. I bought a powered 3-port USB connector to solve that. I still use the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse from my now deceased and scrapped previous desktop.

Our grandson set it up to store files for free in the Cloud (the Dropbox) from which it adds all updated files to our laptops as soon as they're started up. I use MS Office 2011 for MAC, and have MS Office 2011 for Windows on the laptops, and the files can be opened on any machine in that machine's format. The Quicken and Family Tree Maker (7800 individuals back to 1560), and other programs operate the same way.

That is super convenient, not having to manually change formats between machines!

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:06 PM »
Well at least you don't need to relearn any new programs....just where they are and where things are saved...hehe sounds like your getting along good with your new rig.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
Well at least you don't need to relearn any new programs....just where they are and where things are saved...hehe sounds like your getting along good with your new rig.

I still have some problems with that. I cannot find documents that I know are there. A big search then takes place.

Oh, well. I never claimed to be smart.  :shrug:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
I have the same issue.  If your stuff doesn't show up when you open the Documents folder, try going through the Computer menu and clicking on Documents from there. 

Also, there should be a default download/save folder that can be changed.  I'm not in front of my W8 computer right now, but it should be in Computer > Organize > Layout.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
I have the same issue.  If your stuff doesn't show up when you open the Documents folder, try going through the Computer menu and clicking on Documents from there.  

Also, there should be a default download/save folder that can be changed.  I'm not in front of my W8 computer right now, but it should be in Computer > Organize > Layout.

The laptop is no problem. I was referring to the MAC.

HEY! This was my 11,111 post! Do I get a prize for that?  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »
The laptop is no problem. I was referring to the MAC.
You're on your own there.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
CG do me a favor and find out what version of OS 10 you have from your grandson and I will try to figure out what you need to do to find your docs and files. It should not be that big a deal once we know where to look.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
It's OS is The Mountain Lion.

I find most of the latest documents and Excel files I work on, but I can't seem to get them into the correct folders.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Don't know anything about mountain lion but hehe a computer is a computer as long as there is a internet there will be info...so I guess I better get busy cause the Dummys will figure out how to eff that up to. The file system should be similar to the rest so well see.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »
I still have some problems with that. I cannot find documents that I know are there. A big search then takes place.

Oh, well. I never claimed to be smart.  :shrug:

W7/8 has a search algorithm guaranteed to ensure your files will never show up in a reasonable search.  If you have a file named "Legal memo to John Black" it will NOT show up in searches for "Legal" "memo" "John" "Black" but you WILL get "Final statement to Brian Green" "email to the Jason Crubb Club"

MS sucks more profoundly than all the college girls guys fantasize about.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
W7/8 has a search algorithm guaranteed to ensure your files will never show up in a reasonable search.  If you have a file named "Legal memo to John Black" it will NOT show up in searches for "Legal" "memo" "John" "Black" but you WILL get "Final statement to Brian Green" "email to the Jason Crubb Club"

MS sucks more profoundly than all the college girls guys fantasize about.

Ok well if you would have read all the posts in the thread you would know this isn't a Redmont product....

Anywho CG i found this posting about YOUR MAC file system might be some help, evidently they have moved away from the original OSX file system with yours...cheers happy reading. hope this helps.

http://www.apple.com/osx/

edit cause link didnt set
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:20:42 PM by biersmythe »