Author Topic: Pool players?  (Read 24220 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Pool players?
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
Anyone play pool? I've been playing for years and was even on a team, back in the 90's. I still use my Meucci Originals"Road Agent" cue from 1990.

Right now we are looking for a table (used), since we have a room that's perfect for one, and we don't use it much.
 I've narrowed it down to either Brunswick, or Olhausen tables. We both like "Mission" style tables.

My wife likes this one:

We figure in a few months we'll be buying a table and getting the room set up.      :hyper:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

Re: Pool players?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Gonna get one with a slate bed?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
Of course! The table above is a Ventura which replaced the Heritage. Both tables are built like a tank and, like most Brunswick's, use 1" slate and it came in a 'Pro 8" size. It's slightly bigger than a regular 8 foot table. Me, I'd rather get the Heritage, easier to find, cheaper, but they look too "70's" for the wife.

The Heritage:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
That looks like a good table, except for the felt color. But that's just my personal opinion.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
Only snooker, and only in smokey pool halls. But I haven't held a stick in over 50 years. When I was on my game, I was very good.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
Only snooker, and only in smokey pool halls. But I haven't held a stick in over 50 years. When I was on my game, I was very good.

I used to win a lot of money playing 8 ball, straight pool, etc.

Then I used that money to bowl. Had a 185+ average when I was 16.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
I'm gonna teach my wife to play straight pool. I think she'll like the idea of pocketing any ball on the table......but probably not the fouls.  Not much of that is played out here on the Left Coast, so she may give me a WTF?
 I did play Snooker (Golf, many times) for awhile, but no tables are in the area anymore. Except for one in a local bar. I believe it's a BBC (Brunswick Balke Collender) but I've never seen it used.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: Pool players?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
Been playing pool for years, and nice tables!

Played as a "kid", then always avoided studying in my Fraternity house to stop looking at books.

At this point, have been playing APA league pool for a few years.  Been wavering between a 4 & 5 ranking in both 8 & 9 ball since I joined.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:36 PM »
I was quite a hustler in my military and bar hopping days. Always ended up in a fight? I can't see shit anymore. I still have a bar table in my hunting cabin but it is used as a mouse condo these days.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
Snooker, definitely, but I haven't played in years.

The smaller bar tables seem like you're playing on a postage stamp after a few frames of Snooker. The usual games -- eight-ball, straight pool, 9-ball for money.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Heh, I'm surprised at the Snooker players. Great game.   :cheersmate:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
I'm gonna teach my wife to play straight pool.

That's not as easy as you think, particularly if you play it in rotation. 1 ball first, then 2 ball, then 3 ball, etc.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
This thread didn't live up to it's billing...

There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
That's not as easy as you think, particularly if you play it in rotation. 1 ball first, then 2 ball, then 3 ball, etc.

I should have said 14.1.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

I should have said 14.1.

Not familiar with that one.

On the straight pool, in rotation, to make it even more challenging require the shooter to specify into which pocket he or she will sink the ball. No slop allowed for the target ball. If the target ball goes into another pocket, it gets respotted, but anything else that falls in during the shot stays in.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
To be correct, what we're talking about here is pocket billiards. Not pool.

Regular billiards, i.e., on a table that has no pockets, is not a game I've ever played.  :confused:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
Not familiar with that one.

On the straight pool, in rotation, to make it even more challenging require the shooter to specify into which pocket he or she will sink the ball. No slop allowed for the target ball. If the target ball goes into another pocket, it gets respotted, but anything else that falls in during the shot stays in.

Same game. Any ball, call shot, or it's a foul. The last ball to be pocketed is left where it is, the pocketed balls re-racked and the cue/last ball used for break, but you must pocket the last ball and get the break.

Now, Billiards: Typical is 3 cushion. Exceedingly difficult. But if you get good at it..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-cushion_billiards

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm trying to get the wife interested in a Brunswick Gold Crown.

She says "it looks too much like a pool hall table"

Well....................ya.........................and?

:banghead:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
I'm trying to get the wife interested in a Brunswick Gold Crown.

She says "it looks too much like a pool hall table"

Well....................ya.........................and?

:banghead:

For far too many people, a pool table is a piece of furniture.  :thatsright:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
For far too many people, a pool table is a piece of furniture.  :thatsright:

True, so true.

Now, I've found a few BBC's (Brunswick Balke Collender) where they combined both, but they aren't as "playable" as new(er) tables, something about the "T" bolted rails plus many are converted Billiards tables.

From the age of craftsmanship:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
Found a Golden West table, probably nearly 30 years old.

Asking?

$300

Going to look at it tomorrow. I hope the cushions are still OK.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:38:59 PM by Wineslob »

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
I fI had room for it I would beat you to it !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Picked up the table. For $300 it's OK, not great, but it'll provide some fun for everyone, plus I like the looks of it. Came with some cues, set of balls, rack, cue holder, chalk and BALL CLEANER. Gotta have clean balls. :-)

Even my wife gets the "idea" that sometime in the future if a really good table comes along, we aren't so invested in this one that we wouldn't get what we paid for it.

Construction is pretty good, 1" slate, semi-hardwood frame (some sections are solid Fir) the cushions are good (YAAAA!) as is the cloth, etc.. My neighbor across the street thought we could set it up. Well, we tried, but it's a PITA when you realize just how close you have to get the slates to match up, and then level the table.

I said screw it, and have "The Pool Table Guy" coming out Thursday to get it set up for $150.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
Picked up the table. For $300 it's OK, not great, but it'll provide some fun for everyone, plus I like the looks of it. Came with some cues, set of balls, rack, cue holder, chalk and BALL CLEANER. Gotta have clean balls. :-)

Even my wife gets the "idea" that sometime in the future if a really good table comes along, we aren't so invested in this one that we wouldn't get what we paid for it.

Construction is pretty good, 1" slate, semi-hardwood frame (some sections are solid Fir) the cushions are good (YAAAA!) as is the cloth, etc.. My neighbor across the street thought we could set it up. Well, we tried, but it's a PITA when you realize just how close you have to get the slates to match up, and then level the table.

I said screw it, and have "The Pool Table Guy" coming out Thursday to get it set up for $150.

Never have seen a table set up. What happens if the cushions are a little weak? Do you replace those, or get them reworked in some sort of way? What does that cost, roughly?

Will the pool table guy also install new felt after he's done aligning, leveling, balancing?

Balls can stay dirty for all I care.  :-)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Never have seen a table set up. What happens if the cushions are a little weak? Do you replace those, or get them reworked in some sort of way? What does that cost, roughly?

Will the pool table guy also install new felt after he's done aligning, leveling, balancing?

Setting one up is a PITA. The frame has to be leveled with a machinists level. Then the slates are put in with the center as the slate that the others are leveled to. Usually a 6' precision ground straight edge is used so that no light shows under the slates. Then the seams are covered with Bondo or bees wax and sanded/scraped flat. From there is the cloth (going to re-use) and then rails, then the final leveling of the entire table.

Yuck.