Author Topic: Unconventional kitchen appliance breeds insects for food  (Read 3146 times)

Offline CG6468

Unconventional kitchen appliance breeds insects for food
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »
Unconventional kitchen appliance breeds insects for food

Kimberley Mok
Design / Sustainable Product Design
July 26, 2013

© Katarina Unger
As global meat consumption and demand continue to rise, it's clear that there will be increasingly severe environmental impacts associated with the growing demand, from using arable land for growing animal feed to the release of potent greenhouse gases like methane and nitrous oxide. While some may say alternative diets like vegetarianism maybe the answer, in her proposed kitchen gadget University of Vienna grad designer Katarina Unger turns to an unlikely -- and possibly unnerving -- untapped source of protein: insects.

Unger's Farm 432 is a small-scale fly incubator that fits on your kitchen counter, which "enables people to turn against the dysfunctional system of current meat production by growing their own protein source." In particular, Unger focused on black soldier fly larvae as her research showed that they are the most efficient insect converters of protein at 42 percent, plus a lot of calcium and amino acids.

Uhhh, youse guys and gals try it firstist and get back to me…
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
Re: Unconventional kitchen appliance breeds insects for food
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
Uhhh, youse guys and gals try it firstist and get back to me…

Interesting . but why not ?    meat is meat,  does it matter the size it comes in ?

I am sure were I starving I could fry up a bunch of earth worms or spiders and snakes.  Who cares what the crap tastes like, if it will keep you alive then go for it.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
Interesting . but why not ?    meat is meat,  does it matter the size it comes in ?

I am sure were I starving I could fry up a bunch of earth worms or spiders and snakes.  Who cares what the crap tastes like, if it will keep you alive then go for it.

Just the idea of eating fly larva makes me want to barf.  My mom has eaten snake.  She said they taste like chicken......
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

Go for it:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Insects with exoskeletons are high in chiton.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
No, just . . . NO!!!!  :panic:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »

But they come with ready-made toothpicks!  :wink:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
There are sometimes when a man just has to say, "NO."

apart from the eating of bugs, what happens when the device is dropped or knocked off the counter? Hundreds of flies are now in your house. Doesn't that sound fun? All it takes are children or pets. It is inevitable.

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

I'm on the HELL NO! side...   :runaway:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.