Author Topic: Who's Brewin  (Read 9737 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Who's Brewin
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
Hi all I wanted to start a thread about brewing beer, making wine and mead. Anyone else here enjoy the hobby? I would like to talk about recipes, equipment and experiences with brewing. I have found the hobby to be both profitable (was a professional brewer for seven years) and very satisfying to have beer/wine I made at my home available for friends and party's. I have been making some sort of drink for 24 years. I would love to hear your experiences, trials and tribulations with brewing and wine making. I learn something new every time I read a book or have a discussion on the subject. If you would like to start brewing post up, I would be more than happy to help out anyway I can. Lets see some picks as well. I will be posting some soon.  :cheersmate:
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: Who's Brewin
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Funny, I have a shitload of overtime on my next paycheck and was going to get my first brewing set up. Any advice on what to get for a newbie and any potential pitfalls or issues to expect?
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
Well bud I can talk to about it Friday night in person if you like and yes I can help you out and brew with you if you like. I know you live in an apt it is possible to make good beer in an apartment...I lived in one six months and had all kinds of libations going at once...mead , wine and beer. So we will talk soon bud. anything I can help with just ask.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting some info. I always thought beer and mead would be fun!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »
Well bud I can talk to about it Friday night in person if you like and yes I can help you out and brew with you if you like. I know you live in an apt it is possible to make good beer in an apartment...I lived in one six months and had all kinds of libations going at once...mead , wine and beer. So we will talk soon bud. anything I can help with just ask.

I feel like a dumbass... I just went and looked at your intro thread... Yeah, see you and Tots Friday night for beers and brewing talk.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
I feel like a dumbass... I just went and looked at your intro thread... Yeah, see you and Tots Friday night for beers and brewing talk.

:rofl:

Not a dumbass, just working hard.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
well ask away friend. I can give you some book titles to get and read. It is a great hobb...er way of life. The first book I would recommend is the complete joy of home brewing.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Homebrewing-Third-Edition/dp/0060531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373850084&sr=8-1&keywords=joy+of+homebrewing

This is the book I started with...um 1st edition...  it is a relaxed treatise on the subject. It would be the first book I would recommend for any aspiring brewer (on top of the fact the author has a sense of humor). After that the buying of equipment is in order. There are several places to buy equipment needed some more expensive than others just post up what ya need and anything I can help with finding.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

HAHA well not a dumass just didn't know bud. Look forward to it and yea we can talk brewing then and later as well.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Been brewing for.........quite awhile. Too hot right now, I'll wait till fall.     :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
Been brewing for.........quite awhile. Too hot right now, I'll wait till fall.     :cheersmate:

I brew year round....it was snowing one year (I was about 22 so nothing would stand in my way) and it has been as hot as 110...just a few years ago. but If you want to wait till fall I have a lot of friends that skip summer....but we can still talk about it. What do you like to brew Wineslob?

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting some info. I always thought beer and mead would be fun!

KC

What would you like to know about? I posted a book that I like to start beginners with and after you read through some of that It would be equipment gathering time...This hobby can be as advanced as you want it to be. You can make very good beer without having all the latest gadgets. It is mostly down to what you know and how sanitary you are. So ask anything you like If I can help I will be happy to.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »
Picked up The Joy of Homebrewing today since I got paid. Lots of good info so far.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
Picked up The Joy of Homebrewing today since I got paid. Lots of good info so far.

Its a great beginners book one of the best ones I have found to start with. You will leave that book on the shelf soon but it gives beginners information about making beer that is easy to understand. As the book progresses it gets more technical so read from cover to cover.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
biersmythe, sorry I haven't gotten back to this but I'll be checking the book out as soon as I can. Thanks for the info.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
biersmythe, sorry I haven't gotten back to this but I'll be checking the book out as soon as I can. Thanks for the info.

KC

Your welcome, anything I can do to help.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
I wanted to give a list of home brew shops/sites I use to help anyone out that is interested in getting started/buying ingredients. I know some places don't have a local Home brew shop, so here is a list of sites you can order from. Not a complete list so if you have a favorite place to shop/order please add it.

http://www.homebrewhq.com/
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
http://morebeer.com/
http://brewhardware.com/
http://www.amazon.com/ just be careful here cause you need to know what you are buying, but there is good prices sometimes.
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/
That should be enough to get you started.  :cheersmate:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
When I was home brewing, I had good luck with most of the Australian products.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
When I was home brewing, I had good luck with most of the Australian products.

Are you referring to this? I think those kits are great to get you started. Once you get to the point of being able to recognize ingredients and have sanitation down pat, I believe its time to go all grain or at least partial mash brewing. The reasons behind it are quality and cost, grain is less expensive than malt extract. I don't start people out with all grain cause its information overload. When I started out I used beer kits, then went to partial mash, adding my own hops, temperature controlled fermentation, then all grain. It is important to get that experience cause if you make several bad batches you get frustrated and then quit....and that is a shame.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »
No, that wasn't one of 'em. Along with other things I can't remember, the name of them I cannot recall.

I mixed some additional hops and barley along the way, too.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
No, that wasn't one of 'em. Along with other things I can't remember, the name of them I cannot recall.

I mixed some additional hops and barley along the way, too.

I was just curious if it was coopers cause they are an Australian company.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
I was just curious if it was coopers cause they are an Australian company.

I know.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
What do you like to brew Wineslob?

I like to make what I call "New Castle on Steroids". Essentially New Castle Ale but all grain and an ABV of around 6-7%
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
I like to make what I call "New Castle on Steroids". Essentially New Castle Ale but all grain and an ABV of around 6-7%

Well I don't give out my personal/professional recipes so I wont ask for yours but other than more grain what do you do to get to the "on Steroids" point? Do you have any advice for other peeps on what they need to do to get close to the Newcastle? That is what I would like to create here is camaraderie with fellow brewers (and aspiring brewers) to discuss recipe formulation and processes.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
Well I don't give out my personal/professional recipes so I wont ask for yours but other than more grain what do you do to get to the "on Steroids" point? Do you have any advice for other peeps on what they need to do to get close to the Newcastle? That is what I would like to create here is camaraderie with fellow brewers (and aspiring brewers) to discuss recipe formulation and processes.

The "steroids" part is the abv. I believe New Castle is around 4.7%. plus going all grain increases the body. Not-so-thin-tasting but retains the flavor, at least as close as I can get it.

It's 10 - 11 lbs of 2 row pale, 1 lb Crystal malt, Kent Golding hops, and ale yeast. I don't mess with it too much other than 2 stage fermentation.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »

The "steroids" part is the abv. I believe New Castle is around 4.7%. plus going all grain increases the body. Not-so-thin-tasting but retains the flavor, at least as close as I can get it.

It's 10 - 11 lbs of 2 row pale, 1 lb Crystal malt, Kent Golding hops, and ale yeast. I don't mess with it too much other than 2 stage fermentation.

Very cool, sounds good. By the way do you use liquid or dry yeast? I have used liquid exclusively for 20ish years. Far better quality,recipe reproduction and much more bacterial stability. The other plus is more strain availability...ie MORE FLAVORS!!!!!  hehe I brewed a few weeks ago and Ill post back how it came out soon.