Author Topic: McAfee problem, perhaps . . .  (Read 4227 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
McAfee problem, perhaps . . .
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
Over the last week, I've noticed that a box resembling a McAfee 'box' (for lack of a better term) will show up on my home computer screen, at various times, and on certain sites (this one, for example).  It's right in the center of the screen, and the only way to clear it is to close out Google Chrome and relaunch.  Some times, it comes back quickly.  I know of the computer types' aversion to mcAfee, but it's not the same CPU I have Avast on.  I also have Malwarebytes on this PC, and I ran a scan last evening, with it being clean. 

I'd have to actually demonstrate what happens to get anyone to understand it, I'm afraid, but does anyone have a (more) educated guess as to what might be the problem?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: McAfee problem, perhaps . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
1) What operating system are you using?

2) Does the box say anything at all?

3) Does it only happen with Chrome?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
1) What operating system are you using?

2) Does the box say anything at all?

3) Does it only happen with Chrome?

I'm using Chrome.  I'm having problems getting IE to load, so I don't know if it shows up then.  The box says nothing, but a McAfee icon shows up on the bottom toolbar.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
I'm using Chrome.  I'm having problems getting IE to load, so I don't know if it shows up then.  The box says nothing, but a McAfee icon shows up on the bottom toolbar.

Would you consider uninstalling either/and Mcafee/Chrome.

Of course that would be with the assumption that you provided for recovery?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:01 AM »
Would you consider uninstalling either/and Mcafee/Chrome.

Of course that would be with the assumption that you provided for recovery?

I would easily consider uninstalling McAfee.  I was using Avast! on the last PC when it gave up the ghost.

Chase her.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
I've never had any problem with Avast!.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »
The main reason why I use McAfee is that it came pre-loaded on the computer.  The ****ing thing drives me up the wall, and it's pissing off my wife and daughter as well.

Chase her.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
The main reason why I use McAfee is that it came pre-loaded on the computer.  The ****ing thing drives me up the wall, and it's pissing off my wife and daughter as well.

Dump it and use something else.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 05:07:32 AM »
Dump it and use something else.

Yup.  I figure Avast is going to be the one.

Chase her.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:29 AM »
Yup.  I figure Avast is going to be the one.

I don't know anyone who keeps McAfee because it seems to be universally hated. I immediately dump it from every new machine. McAfee must have a terrific "in" with the computer companies.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
My cousin has it now, and hopefully he'll be able to make it run a lot better.

Chase her.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Sometimes malware and spybot checker programs see McAfee as a virus or worm.