Author Topic: 6 Disappearing Car Features  (Read 8221 times)

Offline CG6468

6 Disappearing Car Features
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
6 Disappearing Car Features

Radio knobs are making a comeback, but lots of other features are headed to extinction.

By Alex Taylor III | CNNMoney.com – Wed, Jul 3, 2013 3:01 PM EDT

Recently, Ford (F) made a surprising announcement: It is adding radio knobs to its hi-tech component control system MyFord Touch. That's a retreat from cutting-edge to old technology -- a man-bites-dog scenario you don't often see in the auto business. And don't expect to see it any more often in the future.

Here's the background: In attempting to reduce driver distraction and get a jump on competitors, Ford had introduced a voice- and touch-screen system for audio, navigation, and other functions. But drivers found the new system confusing, and Consumer Reports issued a withering report on its functionality. So Ford decided to listen to popular concern and go backwards: It will now make it possible to control volume and frequency with the twist of a knob. "Familiar and easy-to-use knobs are exceptionally good ways for drivers to control in-car entertainment systems," says Kelley Blue Books' Jack Nerad. "They make for less distraction and less frustration, and that translates into more convenience and improved safety."

What's next? Are we going to see a return to ribbon speedometers, hub-mounted transmission buttons, or three-on-a-tree gear shifters? Not likely. In fact, the industry is moving in a different direction; many of the features that drivers of a certain age find familiar are dying out or already dead. Here's a partial list:

Everything changes, but not all change is good
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: 6 Disappearing Car Features
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Unfortunately without it improvement is impossible. But fortunately, some things can't be improved.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
I remember when ashtrays became an option known as the "smoker's package."

That was around 2000ish

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
I really prefer having a standard transmission.  It looks like I'll have to buy my next car in Mexico where most of them are still manuals.

What I really wish is that auto makers would standardize on things like location of lights, wipers, cruise controls, TRUNK LATCHES, GAS CAP LATCHES, etc...

I rent all the time and spend 20 minutes just trying to figure out where everything is.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
I really prefer having a standard transmission.  It looks like I'll have to buy my next car in Mexico where most of them are still manuals.

What I really wish is that auto makers would standardize on things like location of lights, wipers, cruise controls, TRUNK LATCHES, GAS CAP LATCHES, etc...

I rent all the time and spend 20 minutes just trying to figure out where everything is.
I took a coworker's car to the airport to drop her off (late-model Infiniti G35) and couldn't wait in the drop-off lane because I couldn't find the damn trunk latch on the car.  In my Camry, it's on the left side of the driver's seat on the floor.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
Bias ply tires?  Man, they really had to reach to pad that list, didn't they?

I love vent windows, though.  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
Bias ply tires?  Man, they really had to reach to pad that list, didn't they?

I love vent windows, though.  
Vent windows are awesome.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
What I've always missed is that little button on the floor, driver's side, right-hand side, that one punched with one's foot to brighten or dim the headlights.

I dunno who the idiots were, who did away with that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
What I've always missed is that little button on the floor, driver's side, right-hand side, that one punched with one's foot to brighten or dim the headlights.

I have one of those in my 71 Dodge D100.  I like cathunk-cathunk-ing the high beams on and off, just for the heck of it sometimes.  I love that noise.  All devices should have that sort of tactile feedback.   

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »
Vent windows are awesome.

The one on the driver's side of my B is a little loose- it likes to fold back up at about 30 MPH.  Did yours do this?  I wonder how you adjust the tension?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »
The one on the driver's side of my B is a little loose- it likes to fold back up at about 30 MPH.  Did yours do this?  I wonder how you adjust the tension?
I'm not sure.  My B does it around 50 mph, the Ford does it around 30 as well.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
I'm not sure.  My B does it around 50 mph, the Ford does it around 30 as well.

Well after nadining the problem, it looks like there is some sort of tension nut you can adjust by accessing the bottom of the vent window frame, from inside the door.  I've never done this, but I'm going to go try it on my B real fast, and let you know.  I bet your Ford is the same. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »
That would help.  I would really like to be able to use them.

Who needs air conditioning?

Offline MOKOFACE

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
What's next? Are we going to see a return to ribbon speedometers, hub-mounted transmission buttons, or three-on-a-tree gear shifters

Alpha Mare just drug home a T-bird with a swing away , fat man steering wheel . Just doing a mental count on the morbidly obese @ the grocery tonight , I suspect that those would be VERY popular NOW .

And those hydraulic windshield wipers will flick off a cat like a dry booger .

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »
That would help.  I would really like to be able to use them.

Who needs air conditioning?

Success!*

There is a spring with a 7/16" bolt under it inside the door, right under the pivot point for the vent window.  I tightened it for some tension, and it works perfectly now.  It looks like some monkey has been inside of my door before, because the pozi-drive screws that hold the door pull on were completely stripped.  Good thing I've got a parts car, because they wouldn't make it back in.  I had to use a torx bit to get them out.

*Now all I have to do is get spousal unit to fish the socket out from the door, since it fell off the extension, and I can't reach it.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
And those hydraulic windshield wipers will flick off a cat like a dry booger .

Perhaps a nice sister to this list would be things we are glad are gone.  My list:

-Vacuum powered anything, in particular wipers, followed closely by headlights.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
You don't have one of those spring-loaded claws with the light on the end?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayhew-CatsPaw-Lighted-Claw-Pick-Up-Tool-45046/203761855#.UdjP91e-pmM

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »
wing windows were the best!

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
Cassette players? Anyone? Anyone miss their Def Leppard cassettes?

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
You don't have one of those spring-loaded claws with the light on the end?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayhew-CatsPaw-Lighted-Claw-Pick-Up-Tool-45046/203761855#.UdjP91e-pmM

Yeah, but I can't get it down where the socket is.  If I had my telescoping magnet, I could reach it, but I ran it over a few weeks ago, and it won't telescope anymore.  :hammer:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
Cassette players? Anyone? Anyone miss their Def Leppard cassettes?
Not really.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »
Not really.
You had a gramophone in your car?

Offline Undies

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »

Me too.  And bench seats.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »

When that foot switch rarely wore out, it could be EASILY replaced. Now it's in the steering column as part of the multi-function switch - $$$$$$$$$$$
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town