Author Topic: Electric Question  (Read 2258 times)

Offline CG6468

Electric Question
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
Our bathroom has a GFIC plug near the sink. It's a single, 2 receptacle convenience outlet. (2 outlets, not 4)

Is there a code for plugging into it a power strip that's only occasionally used? Like the phone, a radio, my wife's hair dryer, etc.

It seems to us that the GFCI on the wall would pop if there was a problem with anything on the power strip.

Any help would be appreciated. Our son said the plugged-in power strip wouldn't pass code, but I can't find anything about this configuration.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline thundley4

Re: Electric Question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the outlet would work the same with a power strip plugged in.  I don't know if electrical codes would cover appliances plugged into an outlet, usually they just cover the outlet itself.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
Here it's just the plug that has to be to code.

When you sell your house, and have the buyer's home inspection, unplug the power strip and put it in the drawer until after the inspection, if you are concerned.

Home inspector will inspect all plugs, and if they aren't up to your local codes, you will have to upgrade them if buyer's loan is FHA or VA. If it's a FHA or VA loan, anything that is code will have to be fixed PRIOR to closing. Home inspector will come back and reinspect prior to closing.

I don't know what your FHA or VA loan limits are in your area, they are different all over the country based on median incomes. Most likely your house would qualify.

If you don't want to fix anything.... have your agent change your listing to "selling as is".

FHA and VA "fixes" can be costly and stuff you wouldn't think was an issue. I had one listing that had a 10' wide planting bed between the front walk and a brick retaining wall with a 5' drop to driveway. Because it was over 30 inches, seller had to put up a fence from edge of house to where drop was less than 30". Seller was not happy with me.... house was 40 yrs old!! It had to be done and inspected prior to closing. Should have seen me scrambling to find someone that could put up a fence, at reasonable cost within a week.  :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
Here it's just the plug that has to be to code.

When you sell your house, and have the buyer's home inspection, unplug the power strip and put it in the drawer until after the inspection, if you are concerned. That's what we do.

Home inspector will inspect all plugs, and if they aren't up to your local codes, you will have to upgrade them if buyer's loan is FHA or VA. If it's a FHA or VA loan, anything that is code will have to be fixed PRIOR to closing. Home inspector will come back and reinspect prior to closing. They should all be up to code, but it's an easy fix if an inspector gets a hair...

I don't know what your FHA or VA loan limits are in your area, they are different all over the country based on median incomes. Most likely your house would qualify.

If you don't want to fix anything.... have your agent change your listing to "selling as is" (within reason). We don't want to sink any more money into this home; it's structurally sound and fit to move into it tomorrow morning. That's how we're selling it - As Is.

Our basement stairs didn't have anything in or on it to prevent a kid from falling from the stairs. That has been corrected.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Our basement stairs didn't have anything in or on it to prevent a kid from falling from the stairs. That has been corrected.

Selling "as is" may have agents not even showing your home to FHA or VA buyers. However, based on a couple of pictures I saw (didn't sign up for your agent's permission, because I don't want to be on her email list), your home is lovely and hopefully some agents will leave the choice up to their buyers.

When I was an active buyer's agent, I always sent everything to a buyer that met their "want" criteria. I didn't want them coming back and asking..."why didn't you show us this house?!" And I showed them everything they wanted to see. Back before there were a bunch of real estate websites where buyers can look on their own, I knew agents who would never give a buyer more than 10 options to chose from. Said it was a waste of their time to haul buyers around to more. I know when I moved here, the Realtor only took us to a few areas and when we came back to buy, only to one. After I moved here, I found all kinds of places we could have lived - in our price range - that were much better built than the new construction we bought and had to sink a flipping fortune into correcting!   :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
Selling "as is" may have agents not even showing your home to FHA or VA buyers. However, based on a couple of pictures I saw (didn't sign up for your agent's permission, because I don't want to be on her email list), your home is lovely and hopefully some agents will leave the choice up to their buyers.

That's how things are; it's up to the buyers. Everything in life is negotiable.

She thinks this place would be fine for FHA and/or VA buyers.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »

You just pushed the kid over to end the suspense?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
You just pushed the kid over to end the suspense?

At least the suspense didn't kill anyone.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.