Author Topic: New Member to ConservativeCave  (Read 36871 times)

Offline Lex

• Probationary (Probie)
New Member to ConservativeCave
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
Hi there everyone.

I'm Lex, or at least that's what my internet pseudonym is. I'm not a Conservative, but I figured I may as well post in as many political forums as possible in order to get different perspectives on issues and debate with different individuals on such issues.

Wait, you're not a Conservative? Then what are you? You might be asking this question, and to be honest I'm not sure I can answer this question. I don't know what I am. I can't sit down and look at an ideology and say "I believe in this, I share all of the ideas stated", it doesn't click for me. I just have my ideas and I share them, I don't care much for labels anyway. I'm sure one can ask me for an opinion on something and I'll give it, but I can't classify my opinions.

Anyway, I'm new here. I'll see you around the forums from time to time.
"Hate must be born from Love." - Otto Strasser

"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

"Let us be men of this country, not men of a party." - Napoleon III

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: New Member to ConservativeCave
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum. If you are in to self discovery at all, this forum will be a powerful tool. All you will have to do is participate. Glad to have you. Enjoy the ride.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
Welcome Lex!  Just mind your manners & you'll be fine.  We can actually discuss things rationally around these parts.  :cheersmate:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »
Welcome Lex.  How do you feel about Ron Paul?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »
Howdy.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
Welcome.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
Welcome, Lex!

Uh....do you like peach cobbler?

:whistling:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
Welcome, Lex!

Uh....do you like peach cobbler?

:whistling:

Peach cobbler=poorly made pie.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Peach cobbler=poorly made pie.

No, it's simply pie made in a hurried fashion. Without rolling pins and bench flour.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi there everyone.

I'm Lex, or at least that's what my internet pseudonym is. I'm not a Conservative, but I figured I may as well post in as many political forums as possible in order to get different perspectives on issues and debate with different individuals on such issues.

Wait, you're not a Conservative? Then what are you? You might be asking this question, and to be honest I'm not sure I can answer this question. I don't know what I am. I can't sit down and look at an ideology and say "I believe in this, I share all of the ideas stated", it doesn't click for me. I just have my ideas and I share them, I don't care much for labels anyway. I'm sure one can ask me for an opinion on something and I'll give it, but I can't classify my opinions.

Anyway, I'm new here. I'll see you around the forums from time to time.

Welcome, new guy.

So... you don't believe in labels, or classify your opinions. What do you believe in?

Here are a few questions for you, to help us sort it out.

1. Choose one:
a. The government knows what's best for me
b. I know what's best for me

2. Choose one:
a. I own the fruits of my labors (income, intellectual property, etc.), and the government is entitled to the smallest amount necessary to perform its essential functions
b. The government owns the fruits of my labors, and is entitled to take as much as it wants.

3. Choose one:
a. The government is a benevolent force
b. The government is not a benevolent force

4. Name the most important natural right, in your opinion.

5. List, in descending order, the four most important amendments to the US Constitution, in your opinion:
a.
b.
c.
d.

6. Explain the reason you chose the most important amendment (a) in question 4.

7. Choose one:
a. From each according to his ability; to each according to his need.
b. Equality of opportunity does not guarantee equality of outcome.
c. Yes, we can!
d. Get off my lawn!

8. Name the greatest US president.

9. Choose one:
a. bacon
b. beer
c. pie
d. boobiez
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
Boy, I'm glad they didn't have an entrance exam when I joined.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Welcome, new guy.

So... you don't believe in labels, or classify your opinions. What do you believe in?

Here are a few questions for you,...

::)

Bottom line: Do you like Peach Cobbler? If so you are in. If not- we shoot you and divide up your gear.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »

Bottom line: Do you like Peach Cobbler? If so you are in. If not- we shoot you and divide up your gear.

He would have wanted me to have that Zippo.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »

Bitchslapped for being late. I already asked him that question.

Pay attention.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
9. Choose one:
a. bacon
b. beer
c. pie
d. boobiez

WTH?  How can you choose just one?

Welcome, Lex!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
Wooh! Glad I didn't have to take an exam either.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
9. Choose one:
a. bacon
b. beer
c. pie
d. boobiez

I will have one of each.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »

I will have one of each.

Two of the last one for me.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

Uh, oh, you had to bring that up..................

Welcome Lex.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »
Welcome, new guy.

1. Choose one:

2. Choose one:
a. I own the fruits of my labors (income, intellectual property, etc.), and the government is entitled to the smallest amount necessary to perform its essential functions
b. The government owns the fruits of my labors, and is entitled to take as much as it wants.

3. Choose one:

5. List, in descending order, the four most important amendments to the US Constitution, in your opinion:
a.
b.
c.
d.

7. Choose one:
c. Yes, we can!
d. Get off my lawn!

9. Choose one:
a. bacon
b. beer
c. pie
d. boobiez
I like this. Its not an entrance exam its to help our newest member out.

Lex. take a moment and fill this out, don't bother being neutral, just pick answers you really like.
The result will be revealing.

I advise this test for one reason.
People who start off saying, "I don't like labels." always end up being liberals. Always.

and just so you know. Liberals who don't troll are treated nicely here. Always.

Offline Lex

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

I don't really have a high opinion of Ron Paul, or the right-libertarian ideology as a whole. I appreciate their views, and their liking to freedom, but to think that the government should (and even could) be like it was back then is not based in reality. All governments inevitably expand, so if we were to have libertarians gain control, we'd see a short-lived libertarian state before it expands and becomes what it is today again. Rome went from republic, to dictatorship, to empire. Same with America, went from republic, now it's more of a representative democracy, and we'll see where we end up maybe within our lifetimes.

Welcome, new guy.

1. Choose one:

2. Choose one:

3. Choose one:

a.
b.
c.
d.

7. Choose one:
c. Yes, we can!
d. Get off my lawn!

9. Choose one:
a. bacon
b. beer
c. pie
d. boobiez

These questions are a bit biased and objective. So I'll give my insight and answer the questions.

1. Choice B

I myself am a responsible individual. I know what's best for myself, and my family. However, we must acknowledge that the state (i.e, government) is essentially the father figure of society. Like father, like son. Like government, like society. On the individual level, we are free individuals, and (at least some of us) know what's best for ourselves. On a collective level, it's a different story.

2. Choice B

The government does has the right to take some fruits of my labor, but they definitely do not have the right to a majority of it. Especially if I'm actually a wage worker rather than someone who sits in an office and has profit produced for them by the workers. I believe that when it comes to taxation they can spend wherever they want it, not just the bare essentials. Again, referring to the answer in question one. The government is like the father figure for society. What would a family be like if they just provided clothes, food, water, and shelter for their children, and had no parenting? It wouldn't be the healthiest family. We need taxes to spend on other things than just the bare basics.

3. Choice A

Government is, overall, a benevolent force. On a case to case basis it certainly depends on the nature of the government and its leadership, but overall, definitely Choice A. Governments rose as a reaction to the primitive nature of man. Governments were established because the opposite was desired. They sought order in the midst of discord, they sought protection on the face of a violent world, and they sought a more stable society. Ultimately they made governments because they wanted certainty, they wanted to be certain that the next day they would have food, protection, shelter, etc., and governments facilitated the creation of culture, power of humanity, and made man the apex predator, the alpha males among alpha males. Look at us today, we are the goliaths now. This is why I see government as benevolent. It forged humanity's throne.

4. The right to live

Nobody is entitled anything. Be lucky you are here because of billions of years of evolutionary success.

a. 1
b. 6
c. 2
d. 9

1st Amendment is most important to me because that's essentially the barebones and basics. You have the right to an opinion, right to speak your mind (no matter how stupid your dumb*** may be), right to believe in whatever God/Gods/things you wish, etc.

6th is second on the list because because it definitely helps in a court of law that your trial is fair.

2nd is third on the list because I love guns.

9th is on the list because natural rights are cool.

Read question five, first amendment.

7. Choice N/A

I don't really think any of those are really viable in my opinion. Though I would go somewhere between A and B, and yes, I know A was said by Marx but to say all of his ideas were bad is a bit ignorant. Even if you vehemently disagree with Marxism, a broken clock is at least right twice a day. If we're going to delve deeper into economics, I think you'd find your views contradicting mine a bit in certain areas.

8. No one

Presidents are leaders, they lead the nation to greatness, but we must acknowledge they are only a cog in the national machine. Everybody else plays a part in the functions of this machine. Every man a cog, a bolt, a pulley, a motor, etc. I can certainly tell you who the worst are, but I can't tell you the best.

9. Boobiez

Out of that whole list, boobiez are perhaps the most beneficial to my health out of all of those. Bacon will give me cholesterol, beer will kill my brain cells and give me cirrhosis, and pie will give me diabetes. Boobs give me the pleasures that I enjoy without giving me bad health problems in old age.

Anyway, hope this helps. Peace out.

"Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
I don't really have a high opinion of Ron Paul, or the right-libertarian ideology as a whole. I appreciate their views, and their liking to freedom, but to think that the government should (and even could) be like it was back then is not based in reality. All governments inevitably expand, so if we were to have libertarians gain control, we'd see a short-lived libertarian state before it expands and becomes what it is today again. Rome went from republic, to dictatorship, to empire. Same with America, went from republic, now it's more of a representative democracy, and we'll see where we end up maybe within our lifetimes.

These questions are a bit biased and objective. So I'll give my insight and answer the questions.

1. Choice B

I myself am a responsible individual. I know what's best for myself, and my family. However, we must acknowledge that the state (i.e, government) is essentially the father figure of society. Like father, like son. Like government, like society. On the individual level, we are free individuals, and (at least some of us) know what's best for ourselves. On a collective level, it's a different story.

2. Choice B

The government does has the right to take some fruits of my labor, but they definitely do not have the right to a majority of it. Especially if I'm actually a wage worker rather than someone who sits in an office and has profit produced for them by the workers. I believe that when it comes to taxation they can spend wherever they want it, not just the bare essentials. Again, referring to the answer in question one. The government is like the father figure for society. What would a family be like if they just provided clothes, food, water, and shelter for their children, and had no parenting? It wouldn't be the healthiest family. We need taxes to spend on other things than just the bare basics.

3. Choice A

Government is, overall, a benevolent force. On a case to case basis it certainly depends on the nature of the government and its leadership, but overall, definitely Choice A. Governments rose as a reaction to the primitive nature of man. Governments were established because the opposite was desired. They sought order in the midst of discord, they sought protection on the face of a violent world, and they sought a more stable society. Ultimately they made governments because they wanted certainty, they wanted to be certain that the next day they would have food, protection, shelter, etc., and governments facilitated the creation of culture, power of humanity, and made man the apex predator, the alpha males among alpha males. Look at us today, we are the goliaths now. This is why I see government as benevolent. It forged humanity's throne.

4. The right to live

Nobody is entitled anything. Be lucky you are here because of billions of years of evolutionary success.

a. 1
b. 6
c. 2
d. 9

1st Amendment is most important to me because that's essentially the barebones and basics. You have the right to an opinion, right to speak your mind (no matter how stupid your dumb*** may be), right to believe in whatever God/Gods/things you wish, etc.

6th is second on the list because because it definitely helps in a court of law that your trial is fair.

2nd is third on the list because I love guns.

9th is on the list because natural rights are cool.

Read question five, first amendment.

7. Choice N/A

I don't really think any of those are really viable in my opinion. Though I would go somewhere between A and B, and yes, I know A was said by Marx but to say all of his ideas were bad is a bit ignorant. Even if you vehemently disagree with Marxism, a broken clock is at least right twice a day. If we're going to delve deeper into economics, I think you'd find your views contradicting mine a bit in certain areas.

8. No one

Presidents are leaders, they lead the nation to greatness, but we must acknowledge they are only a cog in the national machine. Everybody else plays a part in the functions of this machine. Every man a cog, a bolt, a pulley, a motor, etc. I can certainly tell you who the worst are, but I can't tell you the best.

9. Boobiez

Out of that whole list, boobiez are perhaps the most beneficial to my health out of all of those. Bacon will give me cholesterol, beer will kill my brain cells and give me cirrhosis, and pie will give me diabetes. Boobs give me the pleasures that I enjoy without giving me bad health problems in old age.

Anyway, hope this helps. Peace out.

I graded your test.  You're a liberal.

I gave you a failing grade; not because you are liberal, but because you don't know the difference between objective and subjective. The test was not biased, it was subjective, designed to elicit your opinions.

Do you really think of the Federal Government as your "Big Daddy"? Ask the Indians how that worked out for them.

And a bitchslap for "peace, out".
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Lex

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »
I graded your test.  You're a liberal.

I gave you a failing grade; not because you are liberal, but because you don't know the difference between objective and subjective. The test was not biased, it was subjective, designed to elicit your opinions.

Do you really think of the Federal Government as your "Big Daddy"? Ask the Indians how that worked out for them.

And a bitchslap for "peace, out".

I may have used objective in the wrong sense, I was using it more to describe the nature of the answers. You had an obvious authoritarian and libertarian answer, an obvious capitalist and socialist answer to another, and an obvious conservative and liberal answer on another question.

Well if what I answered here makes me a liberal, so be it.

Offline here

• In case anyone ever asks, I wasn't really here
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
I may have used objective in the wrong sense, I was using it more to describe the nature of the answers. You had an obvious authoritarian and libertarian answer, an obvious capitalist and socialist answer to another, and an obvious conservative and liberal answer on another question.

Welcome Lex,

I have no accusations to make  :wink:

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

You wrote one sentence which made it clear:

However, we must acknowledge that the state (i.e, government) is essentially the father figure of society.

We must acknowledge no such thing. I reject the idea completely.

The idea of Big Daddy government is exclusive to neoliberalism. "The State" is made up of elected politicians and appointed bureaucrats. Not one of them are elected or appointed because they are wiser, more just, or more honest than any Citizen. Not one of them are qualified to act in loco parentis, and the machine of the State certainly is not. Read The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek, particularly chapter 10, for a deeper discussion of this point.

That you excluded yourself from needing Big Daddy Government to run your life, but insisted it is necessary for others showed me that you are also an elitist. But the authoritarian collectivist (read "neoliberal") Hive does not permit the individual to opt out. It seeks to control everyone. What will you do when the State declares you to be a kulak and sends the lumpenproletariat for your head?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:26:57 PM by Big Dog »
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.