Author Topic: Truck's in the shop today  (Read 3069 times)

Offline CG6468

Truck's in the shop today
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
I took my Ridgeline to the Honda dealer this morning. I just could not get the loud squeal out of the accessory belt. It's close to 7 years old, when it'd be due for a timing belt change, so I'm having them do that too. They also replace the water pump when they replace the timing belt, and the tensioner if needed.

Not cheap work today - over $800 for the timing belt & water pump. But it'd be a PITA to try it myself, and I'm just TFO for that crap now.

It's still better than paying for a new truck, which we cannot afford. But.......
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
Re: Truck's in the shop today
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
The Japs found a gold mine in those rubber timing belts.  $5 - $600.00 every 60 - 70,000 miles.  Old timing chains lasted the life of the engine.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
The Japs found a gold mine in those rubber timing belts.  $5 - $600.00 every 60 - 70,000 miles.  Old timing chains lasted the life of the engine.

The timing chains did and do stretch a little, though.

Picked up my truck. They had to tear apart the entire front of the engine. New timing belt, new accessory belt, new water pump = $810.

I know a mechanic who'd do it for less, but it's a hassle to make an appoint with him, and Honda always sends him the wrong parts. So a 1 day job takes at least 2 days. Today it was in at 10 AM and out the door at 3 PM.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
I'll just keep truckin' along in my old '89 Bronco......
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Recommended interval on the timing chain/belt is 60-80,000 miles, depending on the age/model of the vehicle.

Figured that was common knowledge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:28:17 AM »
Recommended interval on the timing chain/belt is 60-80,000 miles, depending on the age/model of the vehicle.

Figured that was common knowledge.

I knew that. Mine also goes by time, and it was coming up for change in a few months. The computer displays maintenance needed. 'Sides, mine has close to 80K miles.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
The timing chains did and do stretch a little, though.

Picked up my truck. They had to tear apart the entire front of the engine. New timing belt, new accessory belt, new water pump = $810.

I know a mechanic who'd do it for less, but it's a hassle to make an appoint with him, and Honda always sends him the wrong parts. So a 1 day job takes at least 2 days. Today it was in at 10 AM and out the door at 3 PM.

Yea the chains do stretch a little. I have personally had a v8 with around 160k with the same chain befor rebuild... didn't run well but was running. timing belts break well under 100k and the SHTF... game over. I do own belt drive cars...but i prefer a chain any day...even with degraded performance with age.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
There are some models that can be retrofitted with aftermarket timing gears, that if kept lubed will last the life of the engine.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Yea the chains do stretch a little. I have personally had a v8 with around 160k with the same chain befor rebuild... didn't run well but was running. timing belts break well under 100k and the SHTF... game over. I do own belt drive cars...but i prefer a chain any day...even with degraded performance with age.

There are some models of engines that sustain valve damage when the timing belt breaks -- my wife's 2000 Accord was one of those. We made sure to change out that belt when it was due.

Other models, like my 2004 Toyota Sienna, apparently do not sustain the same damage. While it's indeed "game over" when the timing belt breaks, the issue isn't quite as catastrophic.

But, when that odometer rolls around to the stated mileage, I get 'er done. I do not want to experience that kind of "Oh, shit!" somewhere in East St. Louis.  :lmao:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
There are some models of engines that sustain valve damage when the timing belt breaks -- my wife's 2000 Accord was one of those. We made sure to change out that belt when it was due.

Other models, like my 2004 Toyota Sienna, apparently do not sustain the same damage. While it's indeed "game over" when the timing belt breaks, the issue isn't quite as catastrophic.

But, when that odometer rolls around to the stated mileage, I get 'er done. I do not want to experience that kind of "Oh, shit!" somewhere in East St. Louis.  :lmao:

My Ridgeline has one of the "zero clearance" engines. If the belt breaks, you can be in a whole new world of hurt.

My wife's 2003 CRV has a timing chain, not a belt.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »

yep non-interference motors will be fine with a belt break...my 82 VW diesel is an interference motor...difference between 8.5 to one and 23 to one...i have no combustion chamber for the valves to hide in.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.