Author Topic: Flying Squirrels  (Read 69455 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Flying Squirrels
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »
Are they anything like parrots who come to see their masters as lifelong family members ?

I don't want to de-rail the thread on flyers (they really do seem to be cool animals and can acclimate to people), but the "bidness" with parrots tends to be a little more complex.

First of all, when parrots are hand-raised (which is what Skul appears to be doing with his flyers), they ordinarily lose their innate fear of humans. This is a rather new phenomenon as parrots really haven't been widely seen as pets (hence the term "exotic" when used to describe them), therefore they as a collection of species, really haven't been out of the wild that long.

Once they're hand-raised, re-releasing parrots into the wild would be cruel, seems to me. They have not learned to identify, locate, and feed on naturally-found food. And they've not learned to be defensive necessarily, although their natural fear and thus flight is instinctive.

There are still many, many individual parrots that are out there that were captured in the wild and thus never learned to acclimate wholly to humans. Mrs. E and I have two such animals at present that we are fostering: the first is a Nanday conure and the second is an orange-winged Amazon.

Skul is completely correct when he says that parrots are social animals. They look at humans as part of their overall flock, that's to be sure, but the relationships are a little more complex than that. For example, Mrs E and I have a Solomon Islands eclectus parrot - female - who selected me as much more than part of her flock. She selected me as her mate. She exhibits all sorts of typical behavior along those lines -- tries to get me to feed her from my mouth, exhibits nesting behavior, raises her hind end, lays eggs, all that kind of stuff. And she's frustrated when I don't respond like a male eclectus would.

Our African grey, on the other hand, has not sexually matured yet. So we don't really know how she might react when she does mature -- if, in fact, she wants to procreate. Some individual parrots don't indicate an interest in procreation, oddly enough.

Despite the two foster birds being wild-caught, Mrs E and I are working with them. The conure has responded very well and once you get him away from his cage, he'll readily step up on your hand and otherwise accept you. The Amazon -- who is much older at about 50 years old -- is a much tougher nut to crack. In order to move him around, we have had to towel him. But with leather gloves on, I'm able to handle him (with him furiously biting the gloves which is definitely powerful enough to feel significantly through the gloves) and I was able to get him to step up yesterday for the first time.

These two birds are what the bird club calls "custodial birds" since it's unlikely they'll ever be adoptable. We hope to change that with the conure and maybe with time, also the Amazon.

One thing I meant to ask Skul about the flyers -- what about bites and other types of aggression? Do you see any of that?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »

One thing I meant to ask Skul about the flyers -- what about bites and other types of aggression? Do you see any of that?
Good run down on the parrots.. I don't mind at all.

The only time I've seen aggression was when they have babies. The mothers turn into box-sharks.
When the babes hit around five weeks, it begins to taper off.
When females are in heat, they get a tiny bit froggy.
Other than that, they seem quite docile most of the time.
We do know some people that do have bitey squirrels.  Many of them came from breeders or pet store.
Squirrels that haven't been properly peopled, have a tendency to nip and bite.
I would imagine it's about the same with parrots.

Bucky  (his real name is Buckwheat)

Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline CG6468

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »
I don't need no rodents flying or gliding around our place.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
I don't need no rodents flying or gliding around our place.
Get a hamster, ya old grouch.  :tongue:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline CG6468

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
Had them when I was a kid. Then our kids had hamsters, gerbils, snakes and a ferret.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »
Had them when I was a kid. Then our kids had hamsters, gerbils, snakes and a ferret.

Excellent treatise on Parrots. In the future I will Parrot Your treatise, and plagiarize it !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Excellent treatise on Parrots. In the future I will Parrot Your treatise, and plagiarize it !

Oh! We had a baby robin too. Named him Chirp. Because he went CHIRP all the time! He'd land on our dog's back and on our shoulders. He finally flew away, which is why we saved him in the first place.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
An update on the orange-winged Amazon (his name is Paulie):

Wearing thin leather gloves (an absolute necessity as an Amazon's bite is extremely strong, second to only that of a macaw or cockatoo), I got Paulie to step up and remain on my hand. Yes, he bit into the glove, but not as ferociously as he had before.

Stepping up on a human hand is a first for him. He's almost 50 years old, and I believe firmly that he's never had anybody work with him like Mrs E and I have.

And then this morning, I put him in the tub for a shower. Afterwards, I cornered him in the tub, again wearing gloves, and he stepped up freely and stayed on my hand all the way back to his cage.

He is learning that the big, bad human hand really ain't so bad after all.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
An update on the orange-winged Amazon (his name is Paulie):

Wearing thin leather gloves (an absolute necessity as an Amazon's bite is extremely strong, second to only that of a macaw or cockatoo), I got Paulie to step up and remain on my hand. Yes, he bit into the glove, but not as ferociously as he had before.

Stepping up on a human hand is a first for him. He's almost 50 years old, and I believe firmly that he's never had anybody work with him like Mrs E and I have.

And then this morning, I put him in the tub for a shower. Afterwards, I cornered him in the tub, again wearing gloves, and he stepped up freely and stayed on my hand all the way back to his cage.

He is learning that the big, bad human hand really ain't so bad after all.
That's just great that you could get Paulie to do that. For such an old bird, I'm very impressed.  :cheersmate:
Most people don't quite understand that they live that long.
Squirrels, when properly cared for, can live twelve years.
The wife and I raised Tiels, Love birds and Keets, for a while.
It became a burden, and we stopped.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
That's just great that you could get Paulie to do that. For such an old bird, I'm very impressed.  :cheersmate:
Most people don't quite understand that they live that long.
Squirrels, when properly cared for, can live twelve years.
The wife and I raised Tiels, Love birds and Keets, for a while.
It became a burden, and we stopped.

We don't breed birds -- whoa, that's a whole new level of pain.

(And for you schmucks who want to read something in the above, kindly GFY.  :rotf: )

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Flyers, are something that the wife and I do.
We do not raise them for sale, and never will.
They, are our hobby, and love,

I thought you meant the Richmond Flying Sqirrels!

The most fun you can possibly have for $10 (that is for the premium seats!)

I have my Inaugural Year memorabilia :)
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 07:05:50 AM »
I thought you meant the Richmond Flying Sqirrels!

The most fun you can possibly have for $10 (that is for the premium seats!)
I have my Inaugural Year memorabilia :)
Minor league ball can be a lot more fun to watch, than the big boys.
Cool mascot.  :yahoo:

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
Some of the young flyers were out again today.
Wife decided to stuff a little formula in them.
The first photo, is the five week old fox squirrel we got four weeks, six days ago.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
Interesting looking critters, Skul.

Huge eyes. I think you said they're nocturnal?

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
Interesting looking critters, Skul.

Huge eyes. I think you said they're nocturnal?
They sure are.  A lot of people are unaware they have them, for that reason.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
That top one would make some good eatin'!  I love squirrel.  Although, I've never had squirrel wings ...

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:36 PM »
That top one would make some good eatin'!  I love squirrel.  Although, I've never had squirrel wings ...

:-)

KC
They're pretty thin on the meat end.  :-)
Rather leathery.
Here's three stooges having a mealworm snack.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
The young Fox squirrel is doing very well. He's up to 140 grams now.
Eyes opened a few days ago. He's exploring and being a pain in the ass.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
Caught the foxer taking a nap in the sack.
Over 200 grams now, and still growing.
Loves to wrestle with your fingers.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
^That much cuteness is life threatening.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
The young Fox squirrel is doing very well. He's up to 140 grams now.
Eyes opened a few days ago. He's exploring and being a pain in the ass.

Too cute.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »
Two new babies came in yesterday. Finder was not equipped to care for them.
Both are male Gray squirrels almost four weeks old.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
Piglet was being cute the other night.  She's probably the friendliest of all the monsters.
Loves being petted.  The others will tolerate pets, but, not for any length of time.
She's a pretty girl.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
Looks like Piglet needs to go on the Fat Girl program.  :-)

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
Looks like Piglet needs to go on the Fat Girl program.  :-)
The haul ass in 2 trips program !