Author Topic: Flying Squirrels  (Read 69426 times)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Flying Squirrels
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »
Flyers, are something that the wife and I do.
We do not raise them for sale, and never will.
They, are our hobby, and love,
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Flying Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:07 AM »
Are they also known as sugar gliders ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »
Are they also known as sugar gliders ?
No, these are the real thing.
SG's are marsupial. Flyers are not.
Two photos, first is a glider and the other, a flyer.

Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
Do they taste  better fried or grilled?

J/K

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »

Probably mousse-ed.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
 :lmao:
Nah, they're just enjoyable to have around.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

J/K

Flyied
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »

Flyied

Flyied squirrel and flyied lice. Yum-yum!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »
How many do y'all have Skul?  Where do they take care of their uhm, outside type business?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
How many do y'all have Skul?  Where do they take care of their uhm, outside type business?

KC
Hate to say it....15.
Eight are youngsters slated for release.
They do their business in their cages.
They do other things in the cages, too.
That's why we have youngsters that need release.  :lmao:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Hate to say it....15.
Eight are youngsters slated for release.
They do their business in their cages.
They do other things in the cages, too.
That's why we have youngsters that need release.  :lmao:

LOL!  so y'all release them?  I guess they fare ok ...

You could bring a few out here and we could bait in a couple of eagles for some great pictures!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

You could bring a few out here and we could bait in a couple of eagles for some great pictures!

KC

:rotf: :lmao:

h5
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »

KC
Wouldn't work worth a poop, KC, Flyers are nocturnal and not out during the day.  :-)
Here, check out what I just went and picked up an hour ago.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
Do flying squirrels and their owners come to resemble each other the longer they bond ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »
Wouldn't work worth a poop, KC, Flyers are nocturnal and not out during the day.  :-)

Wow. Really amazing.

h5
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »

Well ... maybe we could just release them during the day and watch scamper across the green grass of the golf course ... to the safety of the trees on the other side?

:-)

As to the pic, WOW!  That thing is tiny!

KC

*Stolen

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »
Slightly off topic but when I was 10 I rescued a baby gray squirrel who had been orphaned by a hurricane (can't remember which one) and he lived with us for about 3 months until he was old enough to be released.  I named him Chippy (yeah, real original, right?) and he lived in an old bird cage we had.  He would sit on my shoulder while I walked around the house -- he was SO cute!

Of course, this drove our cocker spaniel friggin' nuts!!!!   :lmao:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Slightly off topic but when I was 10 I rescued a baby gray squirrel who had been orphaned by a hurricane (can't remember which one) and he lived with us for about 3 months until he was old enough to be released.  I named him Chippy (yeah, real original, right?) and he lived in an old bird cage we had.  He would sit on my shoulder while I walked around the house -- he was SO cute!

Of course, this drove our cocker spaniel friggin' nuts!!!!   :lmao:
I don't think that's off topic at all.  Nice that you could release him.
We've raised and released a lot of squirrels.

KC, I'm gonna run up there and piddle on that green behind your house.  :tongue:

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
A few more photos of flyers.
Two day old babies and their mother.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
Cool shots Skul.

KC

*Stolen

Offline JLO

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
A few more photos of flyers.
Two day old babies and their mother.

Wow!  Very cool pics.   :cheersmate:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »
I don't think that's off topic at all.  Nice that you could release him.
We've raised and released a lot of squirrels.

Here's another squirrel story then.  I was 19 and home from college for the summer, sitting in the living room and reading a book.  All of a sudden, there's a lot of sliding, scratching and squeaking noises coming from the fireplace.  Apparently a squirrels nest had been built on top of the chimney and it had fallen through so the chimney was full of squirrels. My dad got a cardboard box and his heavy work gloves, opened the flue but he had enormous hands and couldn't get both of them up far enough to get the squirrels, who were clinging to the insides of the brick chimney. So I told him I'd try. He gives me the gloves and I reach in and grab a baby and put it in the box and my dad closes it. I successfully do this 3 more times (all babies) who all go into the box, no problem. One last time I reach in and realize I don't have a baby this time, I have mommy squirrel, who promptly bites the hell out of my index finger (her teeth went completely through it). I hung on to her, yanked her out of the chimney and sort of slam dunked her into the box! Then I closed the flue.

We take the box outside and let them go.  Mommy squirrel, not 30 minutes later, falls down the stupid chimney again and dad threw up his hands and said "I'm calling animal control!"  He also called a chimney guy to put a wire cover over the top of the chimney.

And I got to have a nice tetanus shot!  :rant:  I still have the bite scar.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
Here's another squirrel story then.  I was 19 and home from college for the summer, sitting in the living room and reading a book.  All of a sudden, there's a lot of sliding, scratching and squeaking noises coming from the fireplace.  Apparently a squirrels nest had been built on top of the chimney and it had fallen through so the chimney was full of squirrels. My dad got a cardboard box and his heavy work gloves, opened the flue but he had enormous hands and couldn't get both of them up far enough to get the squirrels, who were clinging to the insides of the brick chimney. So I told him I'd try. He gives me the gloves and I reach in and grab a baby and put it in the box and my dad closes it. I successfully do this 3 more times (all babies) who all go into the box, no problem. One last time I reach in and realize I don't have a baby this time, I have mommy squirrel, who promptly bites the hell out of my index finger (her teeth went completely through it). I hung on to her, yanked her out of the chimney and sort of slam dunked her into the box! Then I closed the flue.

We take the box outside and let them go.  Mommy squirrel, not 30 minutes later, falls down the stupid chimney again and dad threw up his hands and said "I'm calling animal control!"  He also called a chimney guy to put a wire cover over the top of the chimney.

And I got to have a nice tetanus shot!  :rant:  I still have the bite scar.
:lmao:  Even welders gloves aren't safe for adult squirrels.
I let my wife grab them.  :-)

New tiny baby is doing well. He's recovered from the poops, and put on a gram of weight.
The Flyers aren't all that thrilled with a new interloper in the house.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
The new baby.. Pretty good chance it's a Fox squirrel.

A face only a mother could love.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
Elle Belle, gets her worm snack.
Only way to get her to hold still, is to feed her.