Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 147409 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »

$25 bucks delivered.  :II:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline JLO

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
I am seriously considering this 1963 Fairlane.  The color is puke, but it has fins.  The '64 for sale in Illinois does not.

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3801263839.html

This other '63 needs paint and body work and is a coupe.  I think I like the four-door better.  It has more class.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/3800182935.html

If I didn't have stuff to do this weekend, I would drive up and kick the tires on that '64 in Illinois.  It's just over the border from St. Louis.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1964-Ford-Fairlane-65651.xhtml?conversationId=270983

I like that '64.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/scaler/632/473/images/a/2010/03/24/913061/90379237_1269439178502.jpg
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Chris_

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
I like that '64.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/scaler/632/473/images/a/2010/03/24/913061/90379237_1269439178502.jpg
You should read the entire thread.  Too much damage and the repair & shipping costs would have been an extra $1,000 at a minimum.

Start here: http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,87876.msg1091182.html#msg1091182 :-)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:17:10 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »

$25 bucks delivered.  :II:

Do you have the shop manual already, or did you just get the supplement?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »
I don't know why it says "supplement", but that is the shop manual.  It has a complete table of contents and covers the entire car.

I guess I'll find out later if I screwed up, but it's the only thing for sale.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
I don't know why it says "supplement", but that is the shop manual.  It has a complete table of contents and covers the entire car.

I guess I'll find out later if I screwed up, but it's the only thing for sale.

I seem to remember seeing them both ways.  Sometimes the supplement is separate, and other times it's listed on the cover, because the printing has been updated to include it.  How many pages does it have?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
I seem to remember seeing them both ways.  Sometimes the supplement is separate, and other times it's listed on the cover, because the printing has been updated to include it.  How many pages does it have?
I read the description again.  It is a supplement to the original 1961 factory manual that only lists updated items for the 1963 model.

Oh well, it can't be that hard to figure out.  Ford's drum brakes aren't any different than Chevrolet's.  Everything works except for the radio and the horn.
Here we have an original Ford 1963 FORD FAIRLANE and MERCURY METEOR Shop Manual Supplement. It is a nice original and has all the additional and unique information on the 1963 Fairlane not covered in the regular shop manual. This is a nice addition to anyone's collection and great for your restoration project. Feel free to ask any questions. BOX216

Offline Chris_

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
:yahoo: The car has brake lights now.  The pedal switch needed to be replaced.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »
I've been looking for headliner hardware.  Finding the upholstery is easy... the bows that hold it to the roof are a little more difficult. :confused:

I found some for a '64 wagon, but they're color-coded for the correct shape and placement.  I guess there's not a lot of money in reproducing the hardware.  It looks like the windows have to be removed to install a new headline but the weatherstripping is damaged and needs to be replaced anyway.  The guy I bought it from patched some leaks with silicone.

Found some Mustang ribs for $35.  The Falcon/Comet/Mustang/Fairlane/Torino are all vaguely related.  Maybe they'll fit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:15:05 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
Been there... I've checked half a dozen sites and none of them have the headliner ribs.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
Bummer. Looks like the "modify something else" is the only choice.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris_

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
24 hours late, but I got it home.

My impressions after driving it the car for 100+ miles.  The gas tank is full of crud, enough to clog two filters, and will need to be removed and cleaned.  I had the car towed thanks to roadside assistance and a local garage replaced the fuel filter and took me to a hotel (the previous owner left a new filter/gasket in the back seat but never replaced it.  Go figure).  I made it home but as soon as I got off the interstate and slowed down the car immediately bogged down and started sputtering.  I let it sit for an hour, long enough for the sediment to settle to the bottom of the fuel filter and got the car parked in its temporary home. 

The speedometer is off by 10-15 miles an hour.  The coolant temp gauge doesn't work, or the thermostat is not working.  There is wheel shake over 60 mph and the car pulls to one side -- I'm thinking this car needs new tie rods and an alignment.  The weatherstripping around the doors needs to be replaced.  There is an enormous amount of wind noise around the doors.    The spark plug/ignition wires were so old and crusty the car wouldn't start back up if you turned the car off while they were hot.  It also ran like crap.  I put on a new set of wires, but I think this thing will need a new set of points and plugs as well as a valve check/adjustment and probably a new needle/seat for the carburetor.

The good news is that the rods for the headliner are still in the car and the dome light works.  I overlooked those last week.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
The front end on this car is pretty bouncy.  I was expecting a more plush ride once I got it out onto the road, but it does feel overly-sprung.  Suspension is torsion bars and coil over shocks.  Jerry said he replaced the shocks but I'm wondering what kind he used.

The rear is pretty bad.  I took a steep off-ramp on the interstate and the rear end felt like it wanted to lay down and go to sleep.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Original owner card.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Seeing that typewritten owner card brings a wave of nostalgia for the olden day type writers. Even the less antique style typewriters like the IBM selectric.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
Chris if u decide to drop the tank make sure you can get gas tank straps.  I have a crappy tank on the 'cuda and should probably do the same thing but haven't  got around to it in 12 years.  I use a clear inline filter and change it frequently. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
Chris if u decide to drop the tank make sure you can get gas tank straps.  I have a crappy tank on the 'cuda and should probably do the same thing but haven't  got around to it in 12 years.  I use a clear inline filter and change it frequently. 
I was thinking the same thing.

Any tips on DIY tank cleaning?  I've never had to do it.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »

What are the odds that there's a bunch of rust in the tank? At some point in the game, cleaning becomes impractical or impossible and replacement is necessary. Have you priced the cost of a replacement tank?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
FixOrRepairDaily

:fuelfire:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »

I was just looking at the filter I changed the other day it was nasty.  It is about 90 here today, I took a quick spin around and popped the hood when I pulled in to check the new filter.  Not quite as nasty but not that great either.  I may post a couple pics later.  The filter was quite warm as well as crappy.

I have seen new tanks for the 'cuda on Ebay and specialty shops so I would probably go that route but I figure cleaning would involve something like BB's and shaking around.  Saw one guy say he used toilet bowl cleanser, another hydrochloric acid, another vinegar.    

Offline Chris_

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
What are the odds that there's a bunch of rust in the tank? At some point in the game, cleaning becomes impractical or impossible and replacement is necessary. Have you priced the cost of a replacement tank?
$250, which is about normal for a reproduction tank.  The straps are another $70.

Toilet bowl cleaner?  Never heard that one.  At this point, I'm just going to drain the tank, flush it clean, and see what progresses from there.  I might even try the toilet bowl cleaner.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:57:43 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
FixOrRepairDaily
:hammer:

It just needs a little work. :-)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
FixOrRepairDaily

:fuelfire:

I thought it was Found On Road Dead

:tongue:

"It's just a little dirty"   Homer Simpson

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
$250, which is about normal for a reproduction tank.  The straps are another $70.

Toilet bowl cleaner?  Never heard that one.  At this point, I'm just going to drain the tank, flush it clean, and see what progresses from there.  I might even try the toilet bowl cleaner.

Have you considered Por-15's tank sealer?  I think it's around $75 or so.  It comes with all the chemicals and stuff to remove the rust and seal it.  We did this on my brother's B, and it turned out good.