Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 147432 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #725 on: March 16, 2016, 07:49:16 AM »
I took a page from zeitgeist's book.  Instead of flushing the fuel tank, I just bought extra filters. :whistling:

I don't remember if I told ya, I put a new tank in last year.  They found a rusty old gas can filler in it.  Had them put a new sending unit in at the same time but it still needs to be dialed in a bit.   In any event it was a good move.  There is still crap showing in the filter but no where like what there was before.   I did not redo the steel fuel line.   

I might note a guy told me to loosen the fuel bowl gasket and let it drain if I was not going to run it for long periods of time.  I can only get 10% around here.  That stuff sucks for older cars it gums up the fuel jet if it sets.     

I currently have it on Hemming's   http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/plymouth/barracuda/1816004.html

Not a lot of money out there but a lot of people looking, kind of like kids looking in the window of a bakery and drooling over the eclairs. :whistling:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #726 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
I finally got a distributor wrench on the Ford and messed with the distributor.  Still no luck.  I'm going to bypass the fuel tank and use a jerry can to see if I'm having additional fuel problems.  I wouldn't be surprised if the sending unit is gummed up.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
Progress.  The car starts without starter fluid and runs for more than 60 seconds before sputtering to a halt.

I had to disconnect the vacuum advance to hook up a pressure gauge.  I'd like to get some more work done, but I don't want to poison the neighborhood. :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #728 on: March 19, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
Pretty sure the carburetor is clogged.  I have a spare carb and two rebuild kits.  This is getting ridiculous.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #729 on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
Pretty sure the carburetor is clogged.  I have a spare carb and two rebuild kits.  This is getting ridiculous.

Might be worth soaking it in a cleaner bucket.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aUVh3e62I[/youtube]

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #730 on: March 20, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »
The only thing available at Vato Zone was a gallon-bucket of ChemDip and all that did was leave a thin film of goo all over it.  All of the small parts come with the rebuild kit.  What it really needs is a good scrubbing.  I would have done that today, but it was 40 and windy.  Not the best day for working outside.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #731 on: March 23, 2016, 05:43:50 AM »
My mother's old school car that I restored with DuPont lifetime clear coat (the factory paint was lacquer back then) has a fuel sending unit in the tank that can not be found.

If you are ever at a U Pull A Part and see a Chevy Malibu Wagon, snag me one. I need the fuel tank sending unit to make her gas gauge accurate.

On a related note, a large U Pull a Part, that started as Auto Acres in Milan, IL, a huge well known salvage yard has closed. My mom's brother was one of the guys that ran the place for about 40 years and was also the used car manager there. I used to go to work with my Uncle on Saturdays, they had a party line and I would sit there and listen in on the phone. I would also wait on customers, I was like 7 years old then!  My dad worked there when he was young, changing out motors for mechanical customers, he could do two a day. My father was one hell of a mechanic. When he retired he was maintaining  a fleet of several hundred semi tractors.  Damn do I miss him.

Cheap aftermarket parts have put a lot of salvage yards out of business. Did I mention my grandparents also owned one? Today's EPA regulations would of never permitted them to be in business today. I remember when people would call for used alternators and starters. They had a darn good business for many years and it helped supplement my Grandfather's WWII VA  (Navy) benefits, as he had arthritis so bad he had huge knots on his hands and elbows preventing him from doing so much.

I can still "smell" that VA hospital/clinic in Iowa City.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #732 on: March 26, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Lemon juice and boiling water.  It cleaned up that old carburetor like magic. :II:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #733 on: March 28, 2016, 01:06:04 AM »
Err kay :whatever:

Bought a used carb from a '77 Ford F150 some time last year.  Both rebuild kits I have are for the current '63 Fairlane.  The gaskets don't match.  I'ma have to go back to the parts store.

Duh huh.

Offline SighLass

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #734 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
1963 Fairlane

Just now found this thread, brings back memories of Grandma's 63 Ford Falcon (one of the rarer 8 cylinder ones hardtop w/ black with red interior)....

Grandmother didn't learn to drive until after her second divorce (grandpa twice) in her 50's. She stopped driving when she wrecked it a few years later on a bridge, where they found she had cancer. She died a year and half later. She bought the car and scooted around pretty sports-like I am told. My brother inherited it years and years (late 80s) later and drove it to college. Gave it later to my uncle who wanted it.

Anyway, gonna enjoy thumbing thru this thread.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:25:12 AM by SighLass »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #735 on: March 28, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
Thank you.  I'm not much of a mechanic, but a bad day in the garage is better than a good day in the office.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #736 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »
Thank you.  I'm not much of a mechanic, but a bad day in the garage is better than a good day in the office.

BS. That is, the "I'm not much of a mechanic" statement. Anybody who can rebuild a carburetor is a pretty good wrencher, IMHO. Hell, you've got an entire generation of doods who wouldn't know a carburetor if it burped gas all over them.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SighLass

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #737 on: March 28, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
BS. That is, the "I'm not much of a mechanic" statement. Anybody who can rebuild a carburetor is a pretty good wrencher, IMHO. Hell, you've got an entire generation of doods who wouldn't know a carburetor if it burped gas all over them. 

Agree, I am one of those folks. But... and a big butt (pun intended).... I did manage perchance to find one of the most informative forums perchance. Grandpa left me a lot of old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Desota parts when he died. I was tasked with trying to clean out his sheds after he died. He ran an old dealership back way be when. I didn't want to throw the parts away so I had to list them on Ebay to sell.

Seems to list on ebay you have to identify the parts first. Well I was able to do that with about half the parts that still had part numbers on them, but the rest were an enigma to me. I found an old bunch of guys on a P15-D24.com (WW2 era Plymouth cars) forum that talked shop, and they were some of the nicest folks I had ever met before. I found myself absorbed in their shop talk. Stuff like what to use to clean a gas tank to who was honest on Ebay. These fellow worked on a problem until they solved it.

I just went back over there and looked it over, there is probable a dozen threads just on how to clean and repair gas tanks. Just lurking was enriching.

I don't know if the newer car forums are close to as nice (and honest) as the old car people are. I sold for a few years on Ebay and only had a few problems (mostly of my own doing, like shipping wrong part to wrong person). I once sold a part to a fellow and he said he never got it. I sent him his money back, a few days later I found an envelope in my mailbox, the part arrived but his kids put it in wrong place. He drove 5 hours to my house to say he was sorry. That is good folk.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #738 on: April 05, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »
Finally got all the crust, crap, and shite washed off the car over the weekend.  $2500 and three trees later, I hope this year is a little cleaner than the past few.  Maybe I'm optimistic but I bought some Meguiar's M83 compound/polish.  That other stuff doesn't seem to make a difference.

Cleaned out the original carb, seat, and jets, but I managed to FUBAR one of them so I ordered a replacement pair and the correct tool for removing/installing them.  The carb was filled with gas/ethanol varnish and organic matter, and the jets were clogged shut.  Whatever is coming through the fuel pump looks clean so I hope I don't need to drain the tank and clean it again.

TBC.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:20:22 AM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #739 on: April 23, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
After soaking the venturi booster in Seaform for three days, I think it's finally clear.  Progress.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #740 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
It's alive! :panic:

I've got the distributor retarded as far as it will turn.  The vacuum advance port is bumping up against the fuel line.  Not sure what's up with that but I can finally hook up some gauges to the engine and get it tuned.  I let the car run for 15 minutes and periodically poked the accelerator pump to bring up the RPMs.  There's a slight hesitation somewhere but nothing that kills the engine.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #741 on: April 26, 2016, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #742 on: April 26, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
That's about how I felt.  I rebuilt that damn carburetor twice, used a whole can of starting fluid, and soaked it for over a week.  It's not overheating, which is a huge improvement, but I'm concerned about the weird distributor timing/position.
:shrug:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #743 on: May 22, 2016, 12:47:45 AM »
I have a bunch of shit I really don't want to do on the Toyota, so I'm planning on soldering new light sockets for the dashboard and maybe washing the car.  I might have time to clay and condition the car with some Meguiar's #7.

The next step would be a buff and polish.  I might have time to tape off and shine some trim.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #744 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »
****ing dumbass.

I pulled the distributor without marking it.  Shit.  At least the oil pump shaft stayed in place.  I just need to find TDC to put everything back in place.

I'm tempted to steal the "Lipstick Red" from my brother's new Thunderbird Town Landau.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #745 on: July 03, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
****ing dumbass.

I pulled the distributor without marking it.  Shit.  At least the oil pump shaft stayed in place.  I just need to find TDC to put everything back in place.

I'm tempted to steal the "Lipstick Red" from my brother's new Thunderbird Town Landau.

There is a 77 Thunderbird that was right in front of my on my way to work yesterday.  It was a really clean ride.  The lines on it actually worked pretty well, for being a late 70s luxobarge.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2016, 12:09:36 PM »
He bought it for $1,500.  It's got a 351M high-compression Cleveland big block with 50,000 miles on it.  The only rust is around the opera windows on the pillar.  The roof looks brand new.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #747 on: July 10, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »
Got the distributor reinstalled.  Pretty sure I got TDC set and marked correctly.  The oil distributor shaft stayed in place so I didn't have to worry about that.

As long as it runs, I can put in a seat and move it under its own power after my brother moves his damn Thunderbird out of the way.  I don't really want to drive through the neighbor's yard if I don't have to.  I think I'll take the space under the carport so I can work in the shade.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #748 on: July 17, 2016, 08:26:39 PM »
Installed backwards. :whatever:

Unplugged the coil, pulled the distributor, retimed the motor using a ten buck TDC gauge.  Maybe it'll run after I put it back together for the fourth (fifth?) time.