Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 147407 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Yeah, it is the sore spot of the engine bay.

Nice slanty, zeitgest.  What do you have it in?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Nice slanty, zeitgest.  What do you have it in?

'68  Barracuda Fastback   107K 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
Oooh, Ram Air straight-six.  Sweet.

That's one hell of an exhaust manifold.

OEM Mopar Performance Part  Header.  The stock exhaust was mucho tiny so I put those on and had a larger dia. exhaust system bent up for it.  The shop even welded on a chrome tip gratis they liked the results so much!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
Got my shop manual today.  Took long enough.

Meanwhile, I placed an order for wheel bearings, cap and rotor, a new speedometer cable, and straps for the gas tank. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
Four-day weekend.  I'm tempted to bring the Ford home and put the MG in storage and drop the  tank on Saturday. 

Glutton for punishment?  Naah.

Actually, I think I'll wait until the tank is relatively clean before I drive it back.  There is a Lowes in Columbia.

Are you going to drop the tank clean it and re-install and then bring the car home? Or tow the car home...Holiday weekends might cost more then reg days for towing...got bit with that years ago.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »
Are you going to drop the tank clean it and re-install and then bring the car home? Or tow the car home...Holiday weekends might cost more then reg days for towing...got bit with that years ago.
I was going to drop the tank and bring it home this weekend for cleaning.  Figured I'd pick up a couple of 5-gallon plastic buckets, some sand and pea gravel, and make a cheap drip filter so I don't have to buy more than a few gallons of cider vinegar. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:33 PM »
Hand full of 1/2 or 3/4 nuts and bolts work great for knocking rust loose in a container....easy to get out as well.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
I'll have to see what I've got hanging around in the garage.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
Almost done with my shopping.  The parts I ordered should be here by Wednesday, 7/3. 

Still need new weatherstripping, tie rods, and I'm going to buy some KYB adjustable gas shocks to see if I can make the ride a little less bouncy (I'm looking for "plush").

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
The KYB shocks for VW are pretty stiff compared to other brands. I don't know if that is a brand trait or not,don't have that much experience with them...that ride weighs a lot more than a VW ever thought of so might be OK.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
They're adjustable... There's got to be a "plush" setting somewhere, dammit.

At this point, it rides like my shitbox 3-series with blown shocks.  Riding on springs and way too bouncy.  Yes, the current shocks look new, but I have no idea what kind they are.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
They're adjustable... There's got to be a "plush" setting somewhere, dammit.

At this point, it rides like my shitbox 3-series with blown shocks.  Riding on springs and way too bouncy.  Yes, the current shocks look new, but I have no idea what kind they are.

"Plush" you say.....you are a MG owner damn it!!!!! Plush isn't in your vocab...........hehe I prefer just on this side of kidney jarring..l hate that cruising down the road on a sofa feel.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:27:21 PM by biersmythe »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:21 PM »
I'm not looking for kidney-jarring... I already have one of those.  I want something that feels solid.  Right now, it just feels bouncy.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
According to Wikipedia, Chestnut is officially a shade of brown.  The registration says "maroon"... blasphemy.

The Brown Car Appreciation Society

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
I'm not looking for kidney-jarring... I already have one of those.  I want something that feels solid.  Right now, it just feels bouncy.

isn't bouncy a singer...oh never mind.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
Got the tank and filter pulled.  I drained about eight gallons of gas from the tank.  It wasn't a nice yellow color... it was more like dirty bathwater.  This is what was left.

I've got the tank soaking in apple cider vinegar right now.  I'll check it in about an hour.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
The sand and gravel filter I threw together didn't work.  It mostly just got sand everywhere.  I found some paint filter bags at Lowe's and will give them a shot tomorrow. 

I forgot to pull the fuel level float.  Now the mesh screen at the end of the pickup tube is floating around the tank somewhere.  The vinegar seems to be doing a good job picking up the surface rust, but there are some heavy buildup/corrosion spots that are not clearing up.  I think I could have saved all the money I'm spending on cleaning supplies and bought a new tank. 

This guy's tank looks pretty foul.  I was hoping to get this done this weekend  Six days?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
At some point in the game, you've got to put a premium on your time, versus the money that might be saved by trying to save that tank. The guy's tank that you linked to was a motorcycle tank, for God's sake, so at the most he put 8-10 gallons of vinegar through it.

A Fairlane tank? What is that, 18 gallons? Times two?

Just get a new tank. There are plenty of other things to tinker with, I'd think.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
It's not a large tank -- maybe 12 gallons.

edit: the book says 16.  The Ford's gas tank fit in the trunk of my Camry easily.

Another example from the Interwebz:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:58:55 AM by Chris_ »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
At some point in the game, you've got to put a premium on your time, versus the money that might be saved by trying to save that tank. The guy's tank that you linked to was a motorcycle tank, for God's sake, so at the most he put 8-10 gallons of vinegar through it.

A Fairlane tank? What is that, 18 gallons? Times two?

Just get a new tank. There are plenty of other things to tinker with, I'd think.

Ah yes Eupher, sometimes it's not the destination but the voyage that is important.  (Gee that sounds a lott more like some self help guru than the Flat Rate Motor Manual ). :whistling:  Like my mom was always fond of saying "Patch it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."  Now there are limits to that I grant you, once the cost of vinegar exceeds the cost of the new tank .... :hammer:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »
Ah yes Eupher, sometimes it's not the destination but the voyage that is important.  (Gee that sounds a lott more like some self help guru than the Flat Rate Motor Manual ). :whistling:  Like my mom was always fond of saying "Patch it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."  Now there are limits to that I grant you, once the cost of vinegar exceeds the cost of the new tank .... :hammer:

There's the time factor as well. Granted, that may not be as important to some as to others, but to me it's a big deal. If I can't fix it myself in a prudent period of time, or if it's technically beyond me, hey, I'll generally farm it out.

If it's technically beyond me, I often like to help with the task. That way I learn something in the process.

Drowning during the voyage is something I like to avoid.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
Chris

I totally understand the do it yourself thing...just ask tots about my head strong ways...but think about it from a engineers point of view at this point. All that rust has thinned out the steel of the tank. leaks will occur in those points at some point. If Mr Murphy has his way it will be at the most inopportune time for you. get a new tank bubba...trust me those pits are bad if that is what you got out of the tank in those buckets.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
It seems to be working pretty well.  It's only the lower half of the tank that is a mess.  The seal between the top and bottom half of the tank would probably respond better to 'The Works' since it's stronger.  I may have this thing running again by Thursday or Friday afternoon.

I'll let it continue soaking until Wednesday.  I should probably replace the tank, but I wanted to take the car out this weekend. :(

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
Definitely the use some sort of tank sealer is in order. At least it will give you a small bit of reassurance that it wont be leaking...well next week...maybe....hehe

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
Definitely the use some sort of tank sealer is in order. At least it will give you a small bit of reassurance that it wont be leaking...well next week...maybe....hehe

I can attest that JB Weld WILL set up, even with gas seeping out through the rust pinholes on a gas tank.

On my first MG, I had a moist spot on the bottom of the tank, and wasn't sure if it was leaking from the tank, or was just splashed onto the tank.

I found out real fast, after a couple of swipes with a wire brush, when I had about 15 pinholes erupt.  I HAD to have that car going the next day to not miss a Saturday class, so out came the JB Weld.