Author Topic: This Ancient Aphrodisiac Can Lower Your Cholesterol  (Read 3450 times)

Offline CG6468

This Ancient Aphrodisiac Can Lower Your Cholesterol
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
This Ancient Aphrodisiac Can Lower Your Cholesterol

It was prized by the ancient Greeks and Romans as a delicacy and aphrodisiac. But this funny-looking flower bud has a new niche these days…

It works like a statin to lower cholesterol levels. Italian researchers tested an extract of the plant on overweight people with high cholesterol. After eight weeks,1 the extract decreased their total cholesterol and “bad” LDL levels. Even more significant…it simultaneously increased their “good” HDL cholesterol levels.

A German study got even better results. Participants improved their cholesterol ratios after only six weeks. Their total cholesterol levels dropped 18.5 percent.2 Their LDL cholesterol decreased by 22.9 percent. Their LDL to HDL ratios decreased 20 percent.

Did you know? The artichoke is actually a flower that hasn’t bloomed. And you can make tea from it. Boil whole artichokes for 20 minutes. Then let them steep for another 20 minutes. Remove the artichokes from the pot. Pour the remaining liquid into a pitcher, add a little honey, and you have a liver-cleansing tonic. It keeps your hair, nails, and skin looking beautiful too.
And unlike statins, the extract had no adverse effects.

What’s the funny-looking—yet delicious—plant that can lower cholesterol in six weeks?

Reminds me of a joke.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: This Ancient Aphrodisiac Can Lower Your Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
Hmmm. Do ya really want to give a bunch of fat people Aphrodisiacs? Next think ya know they'll show up at the discos, wearing their shirts open to their navels, gold necklaces, and hitting on my would be girl friends.

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Artichokes are a pain in the ass to deal with.  If I'm going to use them, I just buy them in a jar.  They're quite good with a chicken piccata dish. 

As a matter of fact, if you don't want to go to the trouble of making that, the Michael Angelo's brand of chicken piccata (found at Sam's), is extremely good.  Ready in about 3 minutes, it tastes like restaurant.  Really. 

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
Artichokes are a pain in the ass to deal with.  If I'm going to use them, I just buy them in a jar.  They're quite good with a chicken piccata dish. 

I like them on my pizza and in my pasta salad. 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
Hmmm. Do ya really want to give a bunch of fat people Aphrodisiacs? Next think ya know they'll show up at the discos, wearing their shirts open to their navels, gold necklaces, and hitting on my would be girl friends.

Hey, you're describing Ron Jeremy's entire career!

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
I don't think I have ever ate an artichoke before in my life.

Do they taste similar to anything else out there?

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
I don't think I have ever ate an artichoke before in my life.

Do they taste similar to anything else out there?

Actually, I don't think they have much of a taste at all.  People who steam/boil the whole artichoke like to peel off the leaves and dip them in different sauces.  You can't really eat the tips of the leaf, but the botton part is soft, and you just sort of scrape it's inner pulp into your mouth between your teeth, you can't eat the outer part.

I just like the marinated artichoke hearts you buy in a jar or can to add to other dishes.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler