Author Topic: The power of prayer: Believing in God can help treat depression  (Read 1643 times)

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I found this article very interesting, especially the section at the bottom on the recovery rates of people in the hospital who were being prayed for but didn't know that strangers were praying for them.

Research at San Francisco General Hospital monitored the effects of prayer on 393 cardiac patients.

Patients were asked if they wanted to take part in the trial but were not told whether they would be the subject of prayers.

Half were prayed for by a group of strangers who only had the patients' names.

Those who were prayed for had fewer complications, fewer cases of pneumonia and needed less drug treatment.

They also improved more quickly and were able to leave hospital earlier.

A separate study, at Columbia University in New York, asked people in Australia, the U.S. and Canada to pray for named people undergoing IVF treatment in Korea.

Of the group in Korea, half had prayers said about them by the foreign strangers.

Among this half, the success rate for implantation of the embryo in the womb went up from 8 per cent to 16 per cent.

Cases of successful conception - where the foetus started developing - went up from 25 to 50 per cent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2314781/Believing-God-help-treat-depression.html#ixzz2RWoGK9eX

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:53:54 PM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.