Author Topic: Is this Christianity's FIRST church?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Is this Christianity's FIRST church?
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

Jordan archaeologists have unearthed what could be the world's oldest church dating back 2,000 years.

Resembling scenes out of an Indiana Jones movie, scientists explored the  underground cavern and discovered a cave underneath the church which they believe it is an even more ancient site of Christian worship than the church site above it.

Archaeologist Abdel-Qader Hussein, head of the Rihab Center for Archaeological Studies, Abdul Qader al-Husan told The Jordan Times:'We have uncovered what we believe to be the first church in the world, dating from 33 AD to 70 AD.

'We have evidence to believe this church sheltered the early Christians - the 70 disciples of Jesus Christ.'

Mr Hussein said there was evidence that the underground cave was used in the first century after Christ's death, which would make it the oldest Christian site of worship in the world.

The cave was unearthed in the northern Jordanian city of Rihab after three months of excavation and shows evidence of early Christian rituals.

It lies under St. Georgeous church, which was built in 230 A.D.

He described a circular worship area with stone seats separated from a living area that had a long tunnel leading to a source of water and said the early Christians hid there from persecution.

A mosaic inscription on the floor of the later church of St. Georgeous above refers to 'the 70 beloved by God and the divine' who laid the foundations for the Christian church.

There are several stone seat inside the cave, which are believed to have been for the clergy, and a circular shaped area, thought to be the apse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1025558/Is-Christianitys-FIRST-church-Cave-70-beloved-God-worshipped-Christ-alive-found.html

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Is this Christianity's FIRST church?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
This is very interesting, but also quite difficult to prove........and I would certainly like to see some evidence.  After all, many first century churches were where ever the evangelist happened to be at the time, often in the open.

There was a small segment on Fox News this morning with some additional photos, and a few comments that this may be an effort on the part of the residents of this very poor area of Jordan to enhance tourism.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
This is very interesting, but also quite difficult to prove........and I would certainly like to see some evidence.  After all, many first century churches were where ever the evangelist happened to be at the time, often in the open.

There was a small segment on Fox News this morning with some additional photos, and a few comments that this may be an effort on the part of the residents of this very poor area of Jordan to enhance tourism.......

doc
Yes, it would be very difficult to be conclusive, all the same I'd love to see it some day.  If tourism will help to preserve it that could be a good thing.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
The common belief is that this church is a place where early Christian disciples stayed to avoid persecution by the Jews of Jerusalem. It is thought to be part church, part safe house. I am interested in seeing what archaeologists learn from the site over the next year or two.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.