Author Topic: Climate Scientists Struggle to Explain Warming Slowdown  (Read 3670 times)

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
Climate Scientists Struggle to Explain Warming Slowdown
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »

By Environment Correspondent Alister Doyle

OSLO | Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25am EDT

(Reuters) - Scientists are struggling to explain a slowdown in climate change that has exposed gaps in their understanding and defies a rise in global greenhouse gas emissions.

Often focused on century-long trends, most climate models failed to predict that the temperature rise would slow, starting around 2000. Scientists are now intent on figuring out the causes and determining whether the respite will be brief or a more lasting phenomenon.

snip

Theories for the pause include that deep oceans have taken up more heat with the result that the surface is cooler than expected, that industrial pollution in Asia or clouds are blocking the sun, or that greenhouse gases trap less heat than previously believed.

The change may be a result of an observed decline in heat-trapping water vapor in the high atmosphere, for unknown reasons. It could be a combination of factors or some as yet unknown natural variations, scientists say.

snip

Some experts say their trust in climate science has declined because of the many uncertainties.

"My own confidence in the data has gone down in the past five years," said Richard Tol, an expert in climate change and professor of economics at the University of Sussex in England.

snip

Weak economic growth and the pause in warming is undermining governments' willingness to make a rapid billion-dollar shift from fossil fuels. Almost 200 governments have agreed to work out a plan by the end of 2015 to combat global warming.

"The climate system is not quite so simple as people thought," said Bjorn Lomborg, a Danish statistician and author of "The Skeptical Environmentalist" who estimates that moderate warming will be beneficial for crop growth and human health.

snip

The IPCC will seek to explain the current pause in a report to be released in three parts from late 2013 as the main scientific roadmap for governments in shifting from fossil fuels towards renewable energies such as solar or wind power, the panel's chairman Rajendra Pachauri said.

According to Pachauri, temperature records since 1850 "show there are fluctuations. They are 10, 15 years in duration. But the trend is unmistakable."

A little bit of good news on an otherwise sad day.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: Climate Scientists Struggle to Explain Warming Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
By Environment Correspondent Alister Doyle

OSLO | Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25am EDT

(Reuters) - Scientists are struggling to explain a slowdown in climate change that has exposed gaps in their understanding and defies a rise in global greenhouse gas emissions.

"Ummmm, we were wrong. So sorry."
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
"The climate system is not quite so simple as people thought," said Bjorn Lomborg, a Danish statistician and author of "The Skeptical Environmentalist" who estimates that moderate warming will be beneficial for crop growth and human health.

No shit?    :thatsright:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
   exposed gaps in their understanding   

And probably their brains. I'd say that sums things up pretty well.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »
We're under a freeze warning tonight.  :thatsright:

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
I can explain. It was never happening in the first place.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
We're under a freeze warning tonight.  :thatsright:

and at the same time the Weather Channel still regurgitates Climate Change/ Greenie B.S.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »
Like the Millerites and every other bullshit Doomsday cult, they'll cobble together a revised TEOTWAWKI explanation and date.

I recall seeing a graph of temperature vs. greenhouse gas content over geologic time once, wish I had saved it...the graph appeared to show that it was actually greenhouse gases that lagged and were therefore being driven by global temperature, not the other way 'round.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:54:34 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Like the Millerites and every other bullshit Doomsday cult, they'll cobble together a revised TEOTWAWKI explanation and date.

I recall seeing a graph of temperature vs. greenhouse gas content over geologic time once, wish I had saved it...the graph appeared to show that it was actually greenhouse gases that lagged and were therefore being driven by global temperature, not the other way 'round.

It's actual proven fact that is totally ignored. Ice cores have shown that Co2 changes are driven by...............wait for it................that big nuclear furnace that keeps us alive. As the oceans cool or heat because of solar activity, the oceans will release or absorb Co2. And yes the Co2 levels lag behind solar activity.

The fools KNOW it.

Oh, think about this, Co2 is 0.039% of the atmosphere makeup.    :hammer:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »

Something like this?

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »

Maybe this ?

http://www.biocab.org/GWMA-002_op_987x740.jpg

http://wattsupwiththat.com/reference-pages/global-weather-climate/paleoclimate/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:42:19 PM by J P Sousa »
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne