Author Topic: I had one of those moments . . .  (Read 10068 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I had one of those moments . . .
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
I had the cantoring assignment at my church about two hours age (9 AM).  In our Catholic church, the cantor leads the congregation in the songs.  Today, the Communion hymn was a Cesar Gabarin piece, "Lord, You Have Come (To The Seashore)."  It's one of my favorite hymns--it's peaceful, serene, and something that I have used in recovery.

The first two verses went well.  Then, as I started the third verse . . . everything came together nicely.  The thought that went through my mind was, "I like the way I sound!"  And it kept up right through the fourth (final) verse.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed singing a religious song as much as I enjoyed singing that song today.  As I sat down at the conclusion, I did lift my eyes up and said, "Thank You, God."  It felt that good. 

I wish I could have recorded it.  So, I'll leave you with this version from YouTube, which is sung by a small quintet at UC Davis.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xVskCCWtUk[/youtube]
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: I had one of those moments . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
I had the cantoring assignment at my church about two hours age (9 AM).  In our Catholic church, the cantor leads the congregation in the songs.  Today, the Communion hymn was a Cesar Gabarin piece, "Lord, You Have Come (To The Seashore)."  It's one of my favorite hymns--it's peaceful, serene, and something that I have used in recovery.

The first two verses went well.  Then, as I started the third verse . . . everything came together nicely.  The thought that went through my mind was, "I like the way I sound!"  And it kept up right through the fourth (final) verse.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed singing a religious song as much as I enjoyed singing that song today.  As I sat down at the conclusion, I did lift my eyes up and said, "Thank You, God."  It felt that good. 

I wish I could have recorded it.  So, I'll leave you with this version from YouTube, which is sung by a small quintet at UC Davis.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xVskCCWtUk[/youtube]

Not that is beautiful, Mom's favorite is " IN The Garden" and mine is " Peace in the Valley" Or any Gospel sung by Elvis.

I do so enjoy the music with fire and passion in it, the throw back ones head and give a greatfull voice to the Lord.   Then there is the Monks chanting that reverberates into ones bones.

Offline dixierose

Re: I had one of those moments . . .
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »
I get asked to sing "Peace in the Valley" at funerals a good bit. My favorite hymn is "It is Well With my Soul".
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell