Author Topic: Attention all you puter geeks & geekettes  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Zeus

Attention all you puter geeks & geekettes
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
on a msg board when you send & receive a PM is that stored on the server. Or is it stored on your HD ?

Now an admin question. Do you have access to members PM's . Not that you would but say for example you wanted to mess with me can you access and delete or change my PM' S ?
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Attention all you puter geeks & geekettes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
on a msg board when you send & receive a PM is that stored on the server. Or is it stored on your HD ?

Now an admin question. Do you have access to members PM's . Not that you would but say for example you wanted to mess with me can you access and delete or change my PM' S ?

Server -- your hard drive isn't even involved. And site administrators can mess with any PM or message on the site.

NU troubles?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »

Server -- your hard drive isn't even involved. And site administrators can mess with any PM or message on the site.

NU troubles?

no comment. TY for the info though.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

NU troubles?

no comment. TY for the info though.

Dude, you come to work with a black eye, everyone knows the old lady beat ya up again.

Just sayin'

;)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »
I've admin'd several boards and as a general rule, no you can't see PM's. That said there are hacks (add on's) that can be used with some board software that will allow admins to view PM's. It'll depend on how honest and savvy your admin is.

There'll usually be clues as to their access. Unexplained bannings, minor stalkings or vanishing PM's for instance.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
I've admin'd several boards and as a general rule, no you can't see PM's. That said there are hacks (add on's) that can be used with some board software that will allow admins to view PM's. It'll depend on how honest and savvy your admin is.

There'll usually be clues as to their access. Unexplained bannings, minor stalkings or vanishing PM's for instance.

That is why I noted it is site admins (maybe I should have been clearer: site owners) who have that ability.  I am pretty sure normal admins don't have that capability, except maybe at FR.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
On another board I frequented a few years ago, the board owner was reading PM's and then banning people as a result. Of course like Randy said, it all depends on the software and motivations of those in charge. As a mod here, I cannot see anyone's PM's.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »
On another board I frequented a few years ago, the board owner was reading PM's and then banning people as a result. Of course like Randy said, it all depends on the software and motivations of those in charge. As a mod here, I cannot see anyone's PM's.

That's your story and you're stickin' to it, right?

;)

(IT'S A JOKE -- I KNOW YOU CAN'T SEE THEM)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »
I can't see PM's but I can see you guys posting in your underwear.  :coffee:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Zeus

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:17:38 PM »

Go ahead and laugh but I am posting in my underwear :naughty:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »

Go ahead and laugh but I am posting in my underwear :naughty:

Little did you know we have 2-way posting -- if you can see the board, the board can see you.

Hey, you promised you would at least have underwear on!

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »

vBulletin software is a favorite among admins who wish to be able to read their member's PMs.

Jus' sayn   :uhsure:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09:21 PM »
*gulp*  don't forget to delete that last PM I sent you.  :-)

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
*gulp*  don't forget to delete that last PM I sent you.  :-)

You don't know about the store-forward-and-broadcast bbs instruction?

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »

vBulletin software is a favorite among admins who wish to be able to read their member's PMs.

Jus' sayn   :uhsure:

Gotta have the hack installed though.

Don't worry I foward your PM's to a mail drop and then delete them  :-*