Author Topic: Old, Grand Houses  (Read 7471 times)

Offline jtyangel

Re: Old, Grand Houses
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 06:07:49 AM »
Where and whose is that, Wineslob?

My picture links didn't work.  They can all be seen at the link.  Sorry about that, they probably block hotlinking.  

The author of the memoir had better find a new place to live.  It's extremely uncomplimentary to her mother and father, who still live there.  They're not on speaking terms.  

That "art" is hideous and hilarious!  Some other loon there makes giant puppets for use in the NYC Halloween parade.  It's all she does.  

Yeah, it appears their once strong family has devolved into the mental illness of full time artistry. A shame none of them have any expertise or artistic knowledge of restoring a home like that; then maybe they'd have something actually useful.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 06:10:47 AM »

My wife and I are the same way. Nice to go look at those old homes, but give me a cabin near a trout lake/stream.

Same here--modest home hidden away somewhere. I do think those grand homes are a testament to the times they lived in; they could both afford or 'keep' scores of individuals to do those tasks to keep that home in order.

Offline ADiii

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
catsmtrods --

I really like the Victorian house. Not a gaudy castle, but a place where you can live and feel at home. You work on that one, too? Is it as nice inside as out?

Offline Dori

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
catsmtrods --

I really like the Victorian house. Not a gaudy castle, but a place where you can live and feel at home. You work on that one, too? Is it as nice inside as out?

I'm always attracted to the Victorian homes too.  But honestly I love them all except for ulta modern.
Recently I've been attracted to the Craftsman architecture and even the classic Hollywood homes of the 1920's.   
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
catsmtrods --

I assume you mean Wilderstein? The next to last photo. Cordts mansion is the first photo also Victorian but owned by a weirdo artist. Yes I work in all the houses I posted photos of. Wilderstein is a  historic site and as such it is kept as it was. Its filled with antiques. Very impressive. We did replace the coal fired boiler a few years ago. The old boiler really was impressive though.
 http://www.wilderstein.org/
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dori

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:01 PM »
I assume you mean Wilderstein? The next to last photo.

That reminds me a little of Winchester House.  Mrs Winchester was a little crazy and built stairways to doors where there were no rooms and it had secret passages.  She spent her whole life adding on to that house.  They call it the mystery house and say it's haunted.

http://winchestermysteryhouse.com/
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
Some of the "art". I think I see the problem.

My three year old grandson is an artist ? Wow. I'll start saving them.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
My three year old grandson is an artist ? Wow. I'll start saving them.

Believe it or not people pay big bucks for that shit!!

This is the guy that owns Cordts Mansion, he's an "artist", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_Slonem, http://www.huntslonem.com/ He's gay!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:43:55 PM by catsmtrods »
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
Believe it or not people pay big bucks for that shit!!

This is the guy that owns Cordts Mansion, he's an "artist", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_Slonem, http://www.huntslonem.com/ He's gay!!

Ya, more "garbage". Shit, it is.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Karin

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
Dori, thanks for that link up there, I'm going to look at that.

I got that book I mentioned, "The Astor Orphan" by Alexander Aldrich.  I am devouring it!  Staying up too late.  This shit fascinates me.  I hope the book does well for her, so she can make money on her own steam.  The rest of the family is nothing but house poor DUmmies.  The only guy with a job took a bureaucracy job in Albany, since he despises business  ::).  What the hell does he think built that house he's parked in? 

Catsmtrods, those are some kick ass buildings you posted!