Author Topic: Foods we Despise  (Read 32706 times)

Offline Karin

Foods we Despise
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
Was walking through the deli/prepared part of Walmart and there was a cooler of ready salads there.  One of them was a "seafood salad."  It had huge chunks of that fake "krab."  You know, chunks of processed pollack or whatever with red food coloring added to it.   Is this the most disgusting stuff, or what? 

I inadvertently ate a bite of it once, when I ordered a crab quiche.  Bit into it, and it was this fake "crab" crap.  I'm not one to send stuff back, but boy did I that time.  Scolded them too.  You can't call that crab on a menu.  Yuck! 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Foods we Despise
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
I bet they had it right next to the pea salad.   :puke:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Online Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
Boiled spinach..................... :puke:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

Ditto

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
Creamed spinach
Mushy peas
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Off the top of my head?  PEAS . . . .  :panic:

Also, when I was a little kid, and my brothers were still in the house (well, 2 of them were), my mom cooked an entire cow's tongue and brought it out on a plate just as it was -- not sliced up or garnished or disguised in any way.  I can remember looking at it in horror as my brothers started making all kind of disgusting noises with their tongues (they were in their teens and early 20s) :tongue:

Needless to say, I did NOT have any tongue
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Off the top of my head?  PEAS . . . .  :panic:

Also, when I was a little kid, and my brothers were still in the house (well, 2 of them were), my mom cooked an entire cow's tongue and brought it out on a plate just as it was -- not sliced up or garnished or disguised in any way.  I can remember looking at it in horror as my brothers started making all kind of disgusting noises with their tongues (they were in their teens and early 20s) :tongue:

Needless to say, I did NOT have any tongue

I've never tried tongue. What's it like?
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
I've never tried tongue. What's it like?

have never tried it after that incident when I was 6 -- I think I have food PTSD over it  :-)
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
not big on lima beans either.

And I despise Bluefish -- too strong and oily for me, although I like 95% of other seafood.
Piney Power!!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
not big on lima beans either.

And I despise Bluefish -- too strong and oily for me, although I like 95% of other seafood.

Peas and Lima Beans are the two vegetables I don't like. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
Chris's link up there takes you to a recipe for mushy peas.  You are allowed to write a review for it.   :naughty:

Now spinach, I kind of like sauteed in butter and garlic.  It's good with salmon and mashed potates. 

Sweet potatoes.  Don't like em, and they seem to be all the rage now. 

Fried Mozzarella sticks.  These are popular, too, and I don't get it.  Really pretty flavorless. 

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »
I like peas. Tongue, when properly prepared and sliced, is good for sandwiches like luncheon meat. I also love sweetbreads scrambled with eggs, and Rocky Mountain Oysters - not to mention raw oysters on the half shell.  

But hot, stewed tomatoes......
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
Peas and Lima Beans are the two vegetables I don't like. 

Mom would make succotash and I would try to hide all the lima beans somewhere and just eat the corn.  :-)

Usually it didn't work   :bawl:
Piney Power!!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
Asparagus in any shape or form. 'Nuff said.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Dori

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
I'm trying to think of a vegetable I don't like, outside of cooked greens that is.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
I hate cucumbers, sweet potatoes, and there are some other things I hate. I just can't say them since they're too controversial.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
Boiled okra. How can anyone take the slime?

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Iced coffee -- I've never been able to develop a taste for it.  Iced tea, sure -- love it; coffee, no.
Piney Power!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »

Yup.

Add Brussels sprouts to that shitheap aka "vegetable".

You have to hold a gun to my head to get me to eat fish. Not crazy about fresh fish as it is, but then you let it sit for a week and then try to get me to eat it and I'll puke it right back in your lap.

Bugs? Like lobster, crab, scallops, mussels, squid, crawdads?  :rotf: Not just "No," but "HELL NO!"

Peas? Good to go. Broccoli? Preferably raw, yepper. Cauliflower, same thing.

For the most part, once you start cooking vegetables, it's game over, buddy. Pack up your shit - you're outta here.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Yup.

Add Brussels sprouts to that shitheap aka "vegetable".

You have to hold a gun to my head to get me to eat fish. Not crazy about fresh fish as it is, but then you let it sit for a week and then try to get me to eat it and I'll puke it right back in your lap.

Bugs? Like lobster, crab, scallops, mussels, squid, crawdads?  :rotf: Not just "No," but "HELL NO!"

Peas? Good to go. Broccoli? Preferably raw, yepper. Cauliflower, same thing.

For the most part, once you start cooking vegetables, it's game over, buddy. Pack up your shit - you're outta here.

I love steamed and mashed up cauliflower, made just like mashed potatoes.  I ate a lot of that when I was doing the Atkins thing.  Butter, sour cream (or regular cream), salt and pepper and then run through the food processor . . . good stuff!
Piney Power!!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
I will not eat chicken, unless I prepare it.  I have had two very bad experiences with it, and I won't do it.  I make one exception.  Spicy chicken strips from Popeyes.  :)

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
I will not eat chicken, unless I prepare it.  I have had two very bad experiences with it, and I won't do it.  I make one exception.  Spicy chicken strips from Popeyes.  :)

I love the Tyson's Crispy Chicken Strips (frozen). Pop them in the microwave for a minute or two and then in the toaster oven -- really good!
Piney Power!!

Online Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
Black Bear Diner chicken strips......................... :yahoo:

Okra......................... :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
Boiled okra. How can anyone take the slime?

I forgot about that one. It's terrible.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »

Have you ever tried it pickled? OMG! That is the only and best way to eat asparagus!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey