Author Topic: Nixon resignation and pardon shows impeachment catch-22  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Nixon resignation and pardon shows impeachment catch-22
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
yurbud  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Jan-16-08 01:17 PM
Original message
Nixon resignation and pardon shows impeachment catch-22

If we impeach Cheney, Bush will pardon him. If we did a serial impeachment with Cheney first, whoever Bush appoints VP who becomes president would pardon both. I get the impression that even if Pelosi got in, SHE would pardon the whole bunch.

This is one of the stronger arguments against impeachment--that if we wait and lie low, we can criminally prosecute these guys which will have more real world consequences.

I don't know if that is even going to happen.

At the very least, shouldn't their be a law or even constitutional amendment limiting the pardon power, so presidents and governors couldn't use it as a get out of jail free card for those in their administrations?

What would be great is a bill proposing this on Bush's desk before his term is over.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2697797

Poor primitives * and Cheney will not be going anywhere until Jan of next year. And no one will prosecute them for the imaginary crimes you guys have dreamed up for 7 years now.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Nixon resignation and pardon shows impeachment catch-22
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Dear DUmbasses:

Please get a clue.  Known actual criminals like Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Sandy Berger are all walking around free.  In fact, they are trying to get back into the White House.  Their crimes are well documented and REAL.  You DUmbasses know these things.  Yet, you DUmmies think your DUmbass fantasy world dreams about crimes President Bush and his administration have committed are going to get them locked up. 

All I can say is it is a darn good thing for you DUmmies that stupid isn't flamable.

Sincerely,
Lord undies

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »
and he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

Bush couldn't pardon Cheney if he were impeached, nor the other way around.......

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
and he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

Bush couldn't pardon Cheney if he were impeached, nor the other way around.......

Thank you.  How come we know this, but the DUmmies can't ever get a freaking clue?
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
Thank you.  How come we know this, but the DUmmies can't ever get a freaking clue?

Because the primitives think that Richard Nixon was impeached, and know that Richard Nixon was pardoned.

Primitives always get confused when they think; just like Pedro Picasso actually really honestly believing that the Impeached One won the elections of 1992 and 1996 by Reaganesque landslides, when in fact the Impeached One is the only two-term president in American history never to have gotten a majority of the popular vote in at least one election.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

Because the primitives think that Richard Nixon was impeached, and know that Richard Nixon was pardoned.

Primitives always get confused when they think; just like Pedro Picasso actually really honestly believing that the Impeached One won the elections of 1992 and 1996 by Reaganesque landslides, when in fact the Impeached One is the only two-term president in American history never to have gotten a majority of the popular vote in at least one election.

They can`t differentiate between Impeachment which is a political process for removal from office and criminal prosecution which would still be a seperate issue.
Nixon would have certainly been Impeached and probably convicted in the Senate thus removing him from the Presidency.
He would have still been subject to criminal prosecution had he not been pardoned.
Same with Clinton,he was acquitted in the Senate,kept his office and cut a deal with prosecuters on the criminal charges.

Without more reserarch does this pardon exception apply only to the political impeachment process or to further criminal charges in the aftermath of an impeachment conviction and subsequent removal from office?

That is really the reason the DUmmies are so obsessed and ignorant on the matter.
They aren`t interested in the process,they simply want to even the score and attempt to smokescreen the historical record of Clinton being one of only two Presidents to have been Impeached.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »
What would be great is a bill proposing this on Bush's desk before his term is over.

Man, I'd love to see the look on that DUmmy's face when GWB vetoes THAT one!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »
Dear DUmbasses:

Please get a clue.  Known actual criminals like Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and Sandy Berger are all walking around free.  In fact, they are trying to get back into the White House.  Their crimes are well documented and REAL.  You DUmbasses know these things.  Yet, you DUmmies think your DUmbass fantasy world dreams about crimes President Bush and his administration have committed are going to get them locked up. 

All I can say is it is a darn good thing for you DUmmies that stupid isn't flamable.

Sincerely,
Lord undies

I got to catch a bit of Frank Luntz's focus group tonight and I thought I was in bizarro land. I mean come on! Every one of those people was a flaming MOONBAT. They all thought the Dems were just 'so gosh darn friendly to each other' and it raised their opinions of them all.

They all unanimously thought President Bush was a big idiot and said something at least that offensive. They just KNEW he was in bed bith Big Oil, and the war was all lies. Bush was killing the middle class and there had never been economic disparity as there was now. The rich got their tax cuts and the poor were getting poorer. THEN this woman says, "John Edwards made his wealth from helping little people."

I started hollering at the tv... "JOHN EDWARDS worked at a hedge fund and made most of his wealth off companies. Bush has no links to oil and gets no revenue; that would be EXTREMELY easy for some leftie lawyer to get info about. And everyone we know is better off than they were 10 years ago. Its just the cycle of life.. most of us start out poor and the majority of us do pretty well.

I wish even ONE of them could explain how Bush benefits from crushing the middle class? What purpose does it serve?? I just dont get that line of thinking. I think Bill and Hillary are absolute liars and fakes, but i dont believe they want to run the country into the ground. They have some real communist beliefs that they feel can help.. but i think in their heart of hearts, they believe it will work. The rest of us know better... but i dont think they are evil.

Lefties actually believe we are satan... its .. just bizarre.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:34 PM »

which begs the other question...how does Cheney get impeached, a new VP is installed and then THAT new VP automatically becomes president and pardons both Bush and Cheney???

these people are certifiable..